What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco Hempy style.

Mudraya

hydroton doesn't hold water, it's not like dwc in a hempy cup the seedling pretty much just dies
in the case of seeds, yes it can be difficult, but otherwise, that’s not true. Try putting a clone in a dixie cup full of hydroton, water it every day and see how it does. 😉

i used to think the same thing until I tried it.

i think your point about coco washing down is valid, as well as adding a few more inches of hydroton. infact, one thing that bothers me about the layer of perl on the bottom is perl really loves to float. anyone who’s tried mixing it with coco can easily attest to that, much of it ends up on top. so what’s happening to all that perlite on the bottom? and then the finer coco is likely washing down, especially if watering daily.

but yeah, perlite is about 25% the cost of hydroton, so hydroton doesn’t scale up well unless in small amounts in a hydro system.

Last edited:

goingrey

but yeah, perlite is about 25% the cost of hydroton, so hydroton doesn’t scale up well unless in small amounts in a hydro system.
Not sure where you are at, possibly somewhere with a lot of volcanoes, but for me the prices are exactly the opposite with hydroton being the cheaper option. Looking at an online USA-based hydro store they seem to be selling both for about the same price of $1/l.

Latest posts

Latest posts