What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Botrytis Cinerea

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
Just wondering, I have not dealt with much bud rot the last couple of years but this year I am starting it notice it more often.

I have been spraying with Seranade and just sprayed yesterday with green cure, truing to rotate it. Also been applying BT to prevent the cats from starting an infestation. I also use seaweed juice, which is suppose to protect the plants from diseases as well.*

Usually when I find some, I gently take a popsicle stick and open the bud up and spray it with hydrogen peroxide, I then clip off the infected area and put it into a ziplock bag very gently and then disinfect my tools with 90% iso alcohol and peroxide as well, change out gloves, pretty much take all safety precautions.*

We have had lots of rain lately due to those hurricanes and tropical storms coming up this way. I believe that is the factor as I always notice it after a rain like that.

I have been doing some research, A LOT of research actually and have found a few products I am interested in ordering. I am behind and uninformed of any newer products within the last 3 years that may be out there and released that may be possibly effective for rot. I am willing to pay any amount of money for any top fungicide. It is worth it in my opinion as usually one or two branches worth of buds will pay off the investment.

Some I am very interested in is:

Regalia (Organic Bio-Fungicide)
Actinovate (Organic Bio-Fungicide)

Then one I read about on several threads, which the few people who do use it and know of using it says they have not had a spot of bud rot not even a speck in the last few years they have been using it is called "FLINT". It is a chemical fungicide, it is VERY expensive! $299.00 per bottle. It is also systematic and supposedly much much lower toxicity rate than Eagle 20 and recently approved in some medical mmj states for use on marijuana.

That is what interests me the most is that it is systematic, botrytis starts from the inside and works its way out. Something systematic in my opinion would be my best bet. Yes I understand the health hazards and all with it, I understand I will be smoking trace amounts. It is not a known carcinogen, it does not work on the central nervous systems as most fungicides/pesticides/insecticides do, the main complaint has been possible skin irritation occurring. I am more than willing to use this if it works. $299.00 would be well spent in my opinion.*

Just looking for anyone else's advice, opinions, experiences with these listed products or anything else new on the market that is more effective than my current products I have on hand.

Can anyone vouch for the FLINT? I can pull msds sheet and government toxicity rates which is extremely low.

maimunji

Google plant magic essence. There is a lot of info in uk grow forum. Its fungi assassin. Spray directly on buds. Pistils will dying but buds will be mould free.

MountainBudz

Thanks for the advice guys. These suggestions are very appreciated but they are suggestions that have already been tried in the past with no success.

Now I have used aspirin a few time and I did see a noticeable effect when activating the plants SAR system. Since I remembered I might as well throw some Bayer aspirin at them this year and since Bayer makes FLINT fungicide they should go hand in hand together haha, because I went ahead and bit the bullet and purchased a $300.00 plus shipping and handling 20oz bottle of FLINT last night.

I will keep y'all updated on how it works for me!

:tiphat:

maimunji

Thanks for the advice guys. These suggestions are very appreciated but they are suggestions that have already been tried in the past with no success.

Now I have used aspirin a few time and I did see a noticeable effect when activating the plants SAR system. Since I remembered I might as well throw some Bayer aspirin at them this year and since Bayer makes FLINT fungicide they should go hand in hand together haha, because I went ahead and bit the bullet and purchased a $300.00 plus shipping and handling 20oz bottle of FLINT last night.

I will keep y'all updated on how it works for me!

Do you spray aspirin or give em to the roots.

MountainBudz

Do you spray aspirin or give em to the roots.

Maimunji I have had success using both routes of administration myself. I think I usually use a half of an aspirin per gallon of water, it has been a while since I have done this. But the easiest way for me was always to cut the aspirin in half with a sharp knife or razor blade (pill cutter works too if you have one) and then crush it up into a real fine powder. Scoop it into a half filled water bottle (use warm water) and shake like hell for about 30 seconds to dissolve it completely. Then pour your solution either into your water/feed mix or into your sprayer.

I have seen a noticeable effect over night using foiliar spray. I have also seen an effect overnight when added to food and watering but that is normal to see a boost anyway when your medium is dried out and and its time for a good feeding. But the effect I seen with foiliar feeding was enough to prove to me that it did have its place in growing.

I think I need to do some watering and feeding today actually so I will definitely use some!

MountainBudz

Oh, I forgot to add an extremely critical point to my post.

IF you choose to use Aspirin use no more than a whole single aspirin at a time. It is known to cause hermies at a high dose, not sure how much you gotta use to make that happen, but just stay on the safe side.

As with anything good, too much can be detrimental to the health. Same as bloom boosters, use too much, too often and you increase your chances of an over fed, burned, hermie prone plant.

maimunji

Do you use uncoated aspirin. Is this matter? I grow in coco. Can I use aspirin like part of my feeding shedule, adding it to the rez. Or maybe hand watering once at week will be better.

troutman

Seed Whore
Do you use uncoated aspirin. Is this matter? I grow in coco. Can I use aspirin like part of my feeding shedule, adding it to the rez. Or maybe hand watering once at week will be better.

Use regular aspirin it will dissolve easier.

troutman

Seed Whore
I got my Great White Mycorrhizae and Bacteria from Plant Success yesterday.:dance013:

The four organisms that I placed in bold lettering below are good for controlling
botrytis according to research I did. Some of the others maybe as well.

Ingredients:

Endomycorrhiza:

Glomus aggregatum – 83 props per gram
Glomus intraradices – 83 props per gram
Glomus mosseae – 83 props per gram
Glomus etunicatum – 83 props per gram
Glomus clarum – 11 props per gram
Glomus monosporum – 11 props per gram
Paraglomus brazilianum – 11 props per gram
Glomus deserticola – 11 props per gram
Gigaspora margarita – 11 props per gram

Ectomycorrhiza:

Pisolithus tinctorious – 187,875 propagules per gram
Rhizopogon luteolus – 5,219 props per gram
Rhizopogon fulvigleba – 5,219 props per gram
Rhizopogon villosullus – 5,219 props per gram
Rhizopogon amylopogon – 5,219 props per gram
Scleroderma citrinum – 5,219 props per gram
Scleroderma cepa – 5,219 props per gram

Bacteria:

Azotobacter chroococcum – 525,000 CFU’s per gram
Bacillus subtilis – 525,000 CFU’s per gram (main ingredient in Serenade)
Bacillus licheniformis – 525,000 CFU’s per gram
Bacillus azotoformans – 525,000 CFU’s per gram
Bacillus megaterium – 525,000 CFU’s per gram
Bacillus coagulans – 525,000 CFU’s per gram
Bacillus pumilus – 525,000 CFU’s per gram
Bacillus thuringiensis – 525,000 CFU’s per gram
Bacillus amyloliquefaciens – 525,000 CFU’s per gram
Paenibacillus durum – 525,000 CFU’s per gram
Paenibacillus polymyxa – 525,000 CFU’s per gram
Saccharomyces cerevisiae – 525,000 CFU’s per gram
Pseudomonas aureofaciens – 525,000 CFU’s per gram
Pseudomonas fluorescens – 525,000 CFU’s per gram

Trichoderma koningii-187,875 CFU’s per gram
Trichoderma harzianum-125,250 CFU’s per gram

Other Ingredients: Glycine

X

xavier7995

I add one uncoated tablet per gallon of water, crush it up and mix to dissolve, I believe mine are 325mg pills. No clue if it actually helps other than consistent reading that it does. I have found silica to help with general plant health issues, beefier plants just seem to hold up better.

Those are both used in coco, though I am fairly sure I have seen both mentioned as being beneficial preventative measures in soil as well.

GrowingHigher

Antifungal regimes.

Antifungal regimes.

I tested many of the products you are talking about on 816, seed grown plants. I had three treatment groups and a control spread across 6 strains (n=204)

Treatments:
picture.php

Results:
picture.php

Conclusion:
Don't waste your time or money. Control your environment. Don't have too dense a conopy. Reduce RH if possible. HEPA filter intake if indoor/greenhouse. Maybe sulfer and sodium bicarb can help (but if copper didn't I doubt they will much).

Hydrogen peroxide isn't going to kill spores of B. cinerea if its under ~.5 percent. Botrytis can handle growing in relatively high concentrations of H2O2, and it is actually a virulence factor of B. cinerea which it produces in order to kill plant tissue.

I had never heard of Flint. It is a Strobilurin which acts on the electron transport chain in fungal mitochondria (apparently targeting a fungal variant of coenzyme Q : cytochrome c – oxidoreductase different enough from than ours to not cross react since we also have this in our mitochondria). Sounds interesting.

Last edited: