What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pollen, seeds; refrigerated, frozed ?

Treevly

I believe that I had some pollen deteriorate in the fridge, but I am not 100% certain that it was always handled properly (correct temp.)

Well? Do I cool or freeze?
Thanks

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
With pollen moisture is the killer, just keep it bone dry. Seeds freeze.

F2F

Hiya Treevly,

I’ve only banked pollen once and it was for a year in my deep freeze using the method described below. I was not that attentive on the timeline between pollen drop and dropping in the freezer. And I only stored a paper envelope with the dried rice in a mason jar (no thermos). More careful probably get u longer storage. Just harvested my seeds a few days ago.

A fridge may work ok but I suspect shorter viability.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=357407

Peace
F2F

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
The lower the temp, the slower time passes for practical purposes. But the greater the temp drop, the greater the condensation of moisture in the air of the container. If you're planning less than a couple of months storage, I'd leave it sealed in a cool place rather than freeze it, but for long term, I personally, use rice crispies ground up and mixed in with the pollen, and freeze it.

Treevly

Rice Crispies??? I've read that minute rice is a good desiccant for this job - and I have some, and have no crispies.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
No, it doesn't. Not much point in asking people for help, then throwing that help back in peoples faces, and telling them they don't know what they are doing, when they have been doing it for decades.

rolandomota

Veteran
I just dry it then fridge then freeze I use aluminum paper to collect and fold it up throwing it in a couple of zip lock making sure it's sealed then fridge and shortly after freeze
The important thing is to dry it a week or two I use the oven I don't turn it on the pilot light keeps it warm just dry it in their it works be fir buds just DON'T turn it on and make sure the pilot light is on you know that little flame that turns the oven on
Or just dry near a warm place like your lights ballast or room tempt but at room temp its 2 weeks drying

B

Benny106

Just keep the pollen donor alive, pollen is way to volatile to rely on imho.:kiss:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
No, it doesn't. Not much point in asking people for help, then throwing that help back in peoples faces, and telling them they don't know what they are doing, when they have been doing it for decades.
He has a habit of doing that!

Treevly

Just keep the pollen donor alive, pollen is way to volatile to rely on imho.:kiss:

Yes, in my experience I tend to agree. I'm learning that just collecting the stuff and immediately freezing it is probably not the best approach. Fortunately, a lot of folks have posted information about their approaches to this matter.

B

Benny106

Freezing wet pollen or seeds will affect viability due to cells popping, the water in them expands as it freezes and pops the cell walls.

Treevly

Freezing wet pollen or seeds will affect viability due to cells popping, the water in them expands as it freezes and pops the cell walls.

Thanks.
I think I'm going to have to spend a little time on this particular corner of bio-science.

Treevly

So, with fresh pollen in little folded paper bits, in a Mason jar with desiccant in it, in the fridge, do I want the jar sealed tight? Eh?

Treevly

I don't like the smell the stuff after sitting in a jar of dried rice in the fridge for two days. It smells tool fruity, like ripe pears or bananas. I'm going to put it is a sealed container with Calcium Chloride and Amylopectin. The brand name is Moisture Grabbers.