What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thailand, are there still heirloom varieties to be found?

sbeanonnamellow

If someone was to go traveling the country for an extended period of time searching out remaining antiquated heirlooms, are they still there to be found?

rolandomota

Veteran
Yes but now with legal weed it's going to get a little harder it's only a matter of time ... although most indica won't grow so well in Thailand you need mold resistant stuff

sbeanonnamellow

Thanks for adding to the discussion. I dig the perspective about the unique microclimates proving barriers to entry. Thats whatsup. I hope you're having a great day or night wherever you are man.

ahortator

Veteran
Yes. Just try in Udon, Nong Khai and along the border of Lao or Mekong river in the Isan region. I have never been there but I have been told about it by some friends.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Yes but now with legal weed it's going to get a little harder it's only a matter of time ... although most indica won't grow so well in Thailand you need mold resistant stuff
actually indica can do quite good there roland , as long as you grow it during the dry season , there is very low humidity during those times also and it and hybrids of it and sativa can allow 2 crops a year in thailand and places similar, the hybrids are likely best in order to get a reasonable yield ..

@sbean , yes you can still get some of the old strains reproduced since then ,
there is also lots of brickweed that has seed which is said to come from laos , though there is some debate about its origin in some circles , some say it might be karen weed from Myanmar...

i have recently grown seeds from Laos and they were really good and id definitely grow them again ...

Asiatica

If someone was to go traveling the country for an extended period of time searching out remaining antiquated heirlooms, are they still there to be found?

Yes I believe there are still high quality genetics to be found all over the country.
I dont know anything about finding "antiquated heirlooms" but I know the genepool in SE Asian Cannabis is better than most when it comes to quality drug cultivars.

But there is a very high chance of finding terrible yielding-herm prone genetics that flower for over 16+ weeks.
Going to Thailand with starry eyes thinking that you'll find an old monk in the jungle thats been keeping clones and seeds since the 70's is unrealistic.
Youre most likely gonna score some brick weed on the streets somewhere thats been grown on a plantation on the Laos-Thai border or deep in Cambodia.
Thats 90% of the weed thats being sold around Thailand.

A little advice: If you look and/or act like a foreigner they will take you for a ride. 10000000%:biglaugh:
Thailand is a 3rd world country. Economy is currently bad. People are desperate. Dont go out there looking like a target...you know what i mean?
You better believe the cops are dirty and so are the politricks.

Unless you have a network or connections it will be extremely difficult to find "antiquated heirlooms" but im pretty sure they are out there.

Do your homework before you go and dont take unnecessary chances. Be safe youngblood.

sbeanonnamellow

Appreciate you guys for the insight. I have a few connections in bordering countries, but none in Thailand itself that I know of yet. Hoping a friend of a friend of a friend type of connection will work out, and if not I'll stick to the tried and true. Anytime I've traveled it's always, go to a tasty local restaurant and ask the grandma who's cooking if she knows where to score some kind buds.

The grandmas who run a kitchen seem to always know what's up. My thing is, the timing won't be during harvest season it'll be closer to panting season so I'm hoping that won't prove difficult in scooping up some nice genetics. I figure, they gotta have seeds to plant with that they'd saved from the prior year, but having buds to check out where the seeds come from is definetly a benefit that's not totally lost upon me.

Hoping for a bit of good fortune and luck to go alone with the efforts. If just looking for seed rather than buds with seeds (I know that I might need to look for seeded buds to accomplish this) is traveling with seeds throughout the country as dangerous as buds?

I wonder how I'd be treated if someone saw I had a fat sack of seeds but no herb itself. Thanks for adding to the discussion y'all.

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Youre most likely gonna score some brick weed on the streets somewhere thats been grown on a plantation on the Laos-Thai border or deep in Cambodia.
Thats 90% of the weed thats being sold around Thailand.

does anyone know which strain are they growing at there? it's super good smoke what i've tried to find. i mean that compressed block weed with couple of seeds in it. i really liked that effect and taste.