What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RIP Nol.

Cannawinner

Veteran
Article from Haarlem news.
Very sad. And will be greatly missed.
Cannawinner.

Haarlem advocate of legalization of soft drugs Nol van Schaik unexpectedly passed away

Nol van Schaik.

© Archieffoto United Photos / Paul Vreeker

Max Sipkes

Yesterday at 6:06 pm

HAARLEM

Nol van Schaik died unexpectedly in Spain this weekend. Van Schaik achieved great fame as a champion of the legalization of soft drugs.

Nol van Schaik was the engine behind numerous initiatives to make hash and weed freely available. When the coffeeshop phenomenon barely existed, he already advertised substantial discounts for people who wanted to use the drugs medically. Anyone who showed a doctor's statement at his coffee shop received discounts.

A shocked reaction was received in Haarlem coffee shops on Sunday, as some of his Haarlem colleagues said. "Nol was a characteristic man who, although he was quite robust, managed to get all Haarlem coffee shops to work together in harmony."

Van Schaik, aged 65, was a member of the "Team Haarlem Coffeeshops" (THC) board. That represents all Haarlem shops. He was extremely proud that all members received a hallmark from the municipality. This regulates the provision of drugs in detail. It assures them of smooth controls if they adhere to the rules.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
oh no - not Nol - only 65 - RIP mate -

terrible news.

*can you give us a link? - since I can't find anything on this online - after a brief search.

Last edited:

Cannawinner

Veteran
I owe my nickname to Nol.

Let me explain.

In 2001 he organized a Cannaquiz. The CannaWinner won a trip to Holland. All expenses paid including Flights, a brief case filled with weed, space cakes, pipes, grinders, papers, a cell phone to keep in touch with Nol (this was before we all had our own cel phones) T shirts and other fun stuff.

Cannaquiz cost $4.20.

And I was the extremely lucky person to win this Cannaquiz.

Me and my friend arrived in June for 8 full days of weed associated events. We stayed in Haarlem and spent much time in his 3 coffeeshops in Haarlem.

one of the events was the Doordste weed cup. A very reggae cup on a boat that sailed from Doordste to Rotterdam and then back. 8 hour sailing. That was an incredible event. I met many of the big names in the weed industry on that trip including Eagle Bill, and Gypsy. All weed cups are very special hazey events.....

Nol was a really wonderful host.

He did his best to make our stay comfortable, memorable, and of course very very high. with his best of the best hashes and weeds that he had in his 3 coffee shops at that time. He was extremely generous.

He took us to see his grow room out on some farm about a 2 hour drive somewhere in Holland. The grow room was in a barn on a beautiful farm. This was the first time that I had ever seen a grow room and decided then and then that the moment I return home I would be assembling myself a grow room.

He took us touring Holland. explored Amsterdam, visited his long time buddy coffee shop owner and associate in Rotterdam. Did other stuff. and stuff that we did with out Nol. he reimbursed me for my expenses - He always claimed that this Cannatrip is An all expenses paid trip.

He organized an interview on RTL Dutch TV News that was broadcasted on Dutch news, And I was interviewed and told the Dutch nation what I am doing and how much fun I am having on this cannatrip. The best part of that interview was when I got to roll a joint for Dutch TV. True, it was not an expertly rolled joint. But it was still a joint never the less... Since then I roll them much better.

I returned to Holland after that trip many times and often saw Nol. He was always happy to see me and always very generous.

In the early days of the ICMag Cup. one of the itineraries was to go to Haarlem and visit Nol and his coffee shops. He always welcomed every ICmagger graciously and generously. That was definately one of the ICmag Cup highlights.

At some point he moved over to Spain and opened up a small cannahotel on a farm somewhere along the coast.

He invited me to come stay for a few days in Spain. Unfortunately I never did. Its always something I wanted to do.

I have been following Nol on Facebook and belong to his fan group.

He will be missed. He was one of the very important people in Cannabis and really a true pioneer.

I am very sad he passed.

RIP my dear old friend. To you I truly owe my Cannawinner identity and my first fun time introduction to Holland That I will never forget.

dugzy

Nice to hear your story Cannawinner.

Gutted to hear this. He was such a good fella, spent alot of time in Haarlem at Wortels over the years and seen him a few times, friendly and always chatted with punters.

Smoke one for you when I get home Nol. RIP

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
Great story cannawinner, thanks for sharing !

I remember an IC cup a few years back, where we got to Harleem on Nol's invitation, and were so nicely hosted with food, beverages and smoke...
I am sure a few of you guys remember that crazy white oil, I for sure do !

Nol was a passionate person, who tirelessly have been promoting the freedom of our plant across all places he would go. Hat off to a great dutch legend, RIP and my condoleances to family and friends.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
RIP, didn't know him personally but much respect as united we stand, divided we fall

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow, sorry to read this news. Met him once in Haarlem back in early 2000's.

"40 years tolerated"
Text: Nol van Schaik

Land of a thousand coffee shops
yes, just take one more
in the land of hash and weed
you become as stoned as a shrimp

Country with the tolerance policy
to sell hashish
in a tolerated coffee shop
you can walk right in

but….

Land full of patronizing
no weed grower is safe
with this hypocritical government
those people are really hypocritical

40 years tolerated
on that very small piece of earth
in tolerated coffee shops
with their standards and their values

40 years tolerated
from a plant in a pot of soil
there are still no laws for it
you just have to accept that

Land full of chats and complaining
and criticism of the government
but no one really protests (demonstrates ??)
it stays with 'fuck' and 'tering!'

Land full of tolerance
except for the neighbors
because a coffee shop in Breda
must send a Belgian out the door

Land that always pretends
that we are all equal
but openly discriminates
on the southern border line

40 years tolerated
people should have learned from that
that prohibition did not work
and that you have to regulate weed

40 years tolerated
and criminalize everything
you don't make it better with that
only the judges protest

40 years tolerated
without being allowed to buy Dutch weed
that has been long enough
open that back door….

dear MPs
after forty years of trying
is cannabis integrated
So are we going to legalize now?

Last edited:

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Great story cannawinner, thanks for sharing !

I remember an IC cup a few years back, where we got to Harleem on Nol's invitation, and were so nicely hosted with food, beverages and smoke...
I am sure a few of you guys remember that crazy white oil, I for sure do !

Nol was a passionate person, who tirelessly have been promoting the freedom of our plant across all places he would go. Hat off to a great dutch legend, RIP and my condoleances to family and friends.

Never had the pleasure of meeting Nol or attend one of his get-togethers, but I've seen some pictures from said events during cups and thing. Lots of smiling faces and red eyes there.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Rest in peace, Nol

FallenBuddha

Chat Mod
Veteran
I met Nol in 99 at Willie's just off the stationplein, a very kind and engaging person, a true brother to all humanity. I always went out to see Nol when I would visit and was always treated as an old friend. RIP Nol!

Ollie

Veteran
RIP

Will never forget the time & laugh in your apartment, talking about hash & medical tinctures.

BUM SHIVA

Latest posts

Latest posts