What's new

DNA Preservation

G

Is it possible to grow a copy of a plant from a DNA sample, is there a simple DIY? lol

Please anyone who knows any bit, I would love to hear it.

Blazed_Out

I think Breeder Steve had an idea of having a clone within a seed using a clone's DNA and embedding it into a seed (whether a random cannabis seed or what, I don't know). It's like a seed with an exact copy of a clone in its embryo.
Not sure what is happening with this idea, but Breeder Steve didn't return with any follow-ups. I read this at c-world when it was still active.

Someone must have more information than what I've posted.

guineapig

Veteran
Yes indeed you can take a special plant and "tissue culture" it, turning one small leaf
into thousands of identical individual plants.....I remember that pic that Breeder Steve
had too.....I have done this in the laboratory but they have a new kit which makes
the process a lot more user-friendly and more efficient too.....

It is not yet possible to grow an entire plant if all you have are naked strands of its
DNA....you need whole plant cells for the tissue culture process.....

:ying: guineapig science :ying:

G

ah tissue culture must be what I should try! I am glad it isnt the complicated process of DNA strands. I'll look into that further. I guess I'll start by googling for tissue culture kits...? See my dilemma is I have a plant that is just taking too long to reveg, and I really, really....really don't want to lose it, so ive got a cutting in rockwool, a cutting in aerocloner, and the main plant in dirt. But I may want to tissue culture as well. I just really dont wanna lose it.

Micropropagation is a great way to get many identical plants. However, to do this effective requires a fair amount of equipment. Yes, there are home-made ways to make some of the equipment but there is still a fair outlay of $$.

Some of the essentials are growth media (some which can be made with simple ingredients), an autoclave to sterilize, an incubator, and a laminar flow hood. You need different media depending on what type of growth you want. Are you skilled in the arts? If not, do some self education and ask the community.
The tissue culture kit is rather simple and small for what you want but it is a cheap kit to get your feet wet with sterile technique.
NoS

Last edited:

guineapig

Veteran
In those petri dishes you place a 1cm square piece of plant leaf and then you
will see the edges turn white as root-like masses of tissue begin to appear....

I hope you don't lose that special plant sbaegis....glad you are interested in
micropropagation!!! keep us updated on the reveg process/cloning....

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying: