What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
Yes you do! Always setting trends.

I finished what I had left of my cobs last week and it feels like something's missing. Sunday is not cob day anymore lol.

I might try the corn husk this next autumn to check for myself how I like it. Banana husk is not gonna be easy to find here.
It's a long time until autumn, and with no cob!
The first year I cobbed, I only did about 40% of my harvest; these days it has to be 100%.

Rastafarout

Premium user
420giveaway
Paper sometimes absorbs moisture and can get stuck to the outside of the cob, which is not a good look. I started with grease proof paper but just use bags these days... Often I'll form the cob in a zip lock which then gets vacced, you can handle the ziplock and not worry about tearing a vac bag, and if the vac bag fails or gets too short from opening and resealing you can stick the ziplock in a new one without losing sticky in the vac bags... Usually I leave the zip lock open to allow air to leave but if I want to make loose cobs, bud style, I'll push out most of the the air, close the zip lock and then seal into a vac bag. This stops some of the compression, if you're into loose cobs, but I've found compressed ones seem to store slightly better long term, especially once the cob no longer lives in a vac bag .

there are many ways to skin a cob
you learn a lot of little tricks on this thread .. here’s me been thinking how they must go through vac bag ,
Opening and resealing … never thought of vacing with a long section of bag , to snip and reseal ..Duh ! Thanks lol

Cob Club Clan!

Tmik

Trying this out.
Using a moisture meter and Cannatrol.
After a couple days in a vac bag at 105f, I moved it to the Cannatrol. It went in at 48% and after a couple days it is 26%. I’ll take it down to 14% and then vac bag it with out the husk for the next several months.

Attachments

• IMG_4732.jpeg
    IMG_4732.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

Tmik

Posted a little out of order but here is a look at the bud and cob. Zamaldelica, 35grams cobbed fairly moist after 2 days in the Cannatrol.

Trying this out.
Using a moisture meter and Cannatrol.
After a couple days in a vac bag at 105f, I moved it to the Cannatrol. It went in at 48% and after a couple days it is 26%. I’ll take it down to 14% and then vac bag it with out the husk for the next several months.

Attachments

• IMG_4712.jpeg
    IMG_4712.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4714.jpeg
    IMG_4714.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15

albertgriffiths

Just out of curiosity, why 14%? Have you already experimented with it?

I like using this type of moisture meter as well. I usually aim for 12% or less for my flowers, did the same for my first try at cobing, but without much prior thinking...

I go for 12% or a bit less because that's what Grove bags recommend for long term storage of dried flower, but I'm curious to hear what others do and why!

Tmik

Just out of curiosity, why 14%? Have you already experimented with it?

I like using this type of moisture meter as well. I usually aim for 12% or less for my flowers, did the same for my first try at cobing, but without much prior thinking...

I go for 12% or a bit less because that's what Grove bags recommend for long term storage of dried flower, but I'm curious to hear what others do and why!
I have done 12% on a cob before and it is pretty dry. I am going a little higher to see how it so it is a bit softer. Hopefully it won’t be a problem later.

Tangwena

Veteran
@albertgriffiths

For this technique to work ie fermentation.
You need a slightly elevated moisture level or fermentation/curing will not occur.

Dry buds will only cure to a limited level and take longer to reach a cure.
The best cures are where the moisture level is managed throughout process.
Every bud style is different in the level of moisture needed.

You can only excel at this through practice, as its an art form not a mechanical process.

The best cannabis curers take their understanding of this beautiful plant from growing the right strains, through harvest and curing to consumption its all related.

oldworld

420giveaway
I've decided to sacrifice some of my Killer A5 Haze to this experiment. I've read most of the thread, but... it's a beast.

I think tomorrow will be the right time. I'll pull 2 ounces and roll into 2 separate cobs,v wrap in butcher paper( yeah? I don't want it smashed into a plastic bag and cooked for a month) or I see wax paper recommended.

Anyone have experience using the handheld foodsaver? Or, if I go to Walmart, I can use it and take it back when I'm done then look at a more leisurely pace for a keeper.

Taima-da

Don't think of it as a sacrifice. Even as a gamble, if it's not perfect it will still work just fine, so odds are good you won't lose out.
After a year compared to your jar cured, you'll wish you'd cobbed more.
Even if you don't prefer the change in effect, you'll have a nice smooth smoke.

I'm not a fan of paper, it has more chance of sticking.

If the machine draws a vacuum you're good. Some units might not have the longevity but they are generally pretty robust.

I'd start by doing one on the day you think, and another the next day, you'll get two different results and get a feeling for the way moisture level of your input material effects the process... Alternatively you could vary the sweat times of your two, if you roll em on the same day... A lighter touch with sweat and starting a bit drier than people generally assume helps retain terpy-ness; unless you over dry they'll still cob given time.

oldworld

420giveaway
Yeah, no not a sacrifice. I believe this will be beneficial. Like you said, more a gamble. I also have a flair for drama.

I bring my ganja to sacrifice at the altar of the cob in hopes that greater treasures will be bestowed on me

Really, my concern with the handheld is the sealing. I should just get the right one and not try to cut corners.

CDNINCA

Yeah, no not a sacrifice. I believe this will be beneficial. Like you said, more a gamble. I also have a flair for drama.

I bring my ganja to sacrifice at the altar of the cob in hopes that greater treasures will be bestowed on me

Really, my concern with the handheld is the sealing. I should just get the right one and not try to cut corners.
After typing this, I saw brother @Tangwena 's response. I could not agree more with it!
FWIW... here's what I wrote too...

Solid plan, and it will never be a sacrifice, not even a gamble, in my opinion. Just another way of handling the final product that you will appreciate the results of! I'm not sure where you are but I have the "Foodsaver" vacuum sealer and it works perfectly.
I started out wrapping the buds in corn husks which worked great. Then I tried using parchment paper because I didn't have any husks _wrong time of the year I guess, - that worked great. Then I just stuffed compressed ounces using a sushi rolling mat into a bag without anything else and vacuuming it up and that also worked great. All this to say that no matter which approach you take, you can't go wrong. It's all like a design process (I'm a designer...), prototype, test/ evaluate, refine, repeat!
It really has been an extremely enjoyable and fruitful process from my perspective. I think that you will find the same! Cheers!

Latest posts

Latest posts