What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chitin / Chitosan / Chi: Cutting edge Product for Better Plant Growth (FYI)

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
In general Chitosan can help improve the efficient use of fertilizer by the plant, will increase number and size of flowers/fruits, increases the shelf life of produce in general and this all ultimately leads to more production with much less or ideally, no use of potentially toxic substances for insect and disease control.

History:
Chitin is one of the most abundant polysaccharide found in nature. It is often considered a cellulose derivative, although it does not occur in organisms producing cellulose.
Chitin was first found in Mushrooms in 1811 by Professor Henri while he was Professor of Natural History and Director of Botanical Gardens at the Academy Science Nancy, France, that was later to be called Chitin.
During 1830’s it was isolated from insects and named Chitin.
The name chitin is derived from Greek meaning tunic or envelope.
During 1850’s Professor C. Roughet discovered while experimenting with Chitin that it could be transferred into water soluble form through some chemical reaction and in late 1870’s name Chitin modified to Chitosan and later on much of the research was focused on these compounds.
Chitosan is a polysaccharide of Glucosamine which is derived from Chitin.
It is formed through a process of deacylation of the Chitin molecule. Chitin/Chitosan is also a constituent part of cell walls of parasitic fungi.
These days it is being produced from the processing waste of crabs, shrimps, oysters and fungi.

Importance of Chitosan in Agriculture

Everybody had an idea that these days use of biologically active and environmentally friendly substances for plant protection as well as growth enhancing is becoming an indispensable part of modern agriculture system.
This is especially more common in developed world where the governments and people becoming more conscious about using toxic chemicals on plants. Under these circumstances people need to use certain plant protecting substances that do not accumulate in soil, plants, animals and human body and that can easily degrade in natural environment. Secondly they want those substances that have the ability not only to increase plant stability against unfavorable conditions like disease and insects but also have the ability to increase the crop yield and improve its quality.

One of the most promising way of improving plant protection and quality is the method of inducing non specific resistance against such stresses based on natural plant potential activation according to model worked out by nature itself and activation of plant growth enhancing mechanism.

Plant resistance to pathogens and growth enhancing factors are based on various mechanisms such as: formation of induced antibiotics, proteinase inhibitors, and active oxygen form, maintenance of hormonal balance, activation of enzymes etc as well as modification of the plant cell wall by lignin, suberin and silicum.

These protective and growth enhancing mechanisms are induced by various substances separately but Chitosan, a non toxic, organic and biodegradable natural biopolymer meets all these requirements.

Chitosan possess a high growth stimulating efficacy combined with antifungal and antibacterial activity of systemic character.

All these properties have a prolonged effect and cause no damage to agro ecology. Chitosan has wide scope of application on various plants.

It can be used through irrigation as well as though foliar sprays. Once being applied through foliar or irrigation to plants it provides plant protection against fungal infection by rapid expression of a number of defense responses, including accumulation of phenolic compounds and formation of structural barriers at sites of attempted fungal penetration.
Chitosan inhibits the reproduction of pathogens and also induces activation of genes, which produces protease inhibitors that help protect against insect attack. It also stimulates the plants hormones responsible for root formation, stem growth, fruit formation and development.

Plants do not contain Chitosan but they do secrete Chitinase enzyme. Structurally there is a small amount of Chitinases in plants but once the Chitosan is being absorbed by plants it improves the activity and content of Chitinase enzymes and eventually plants with high Chitinase activity has better resistance to diseases.

There are two types of Chitosan oligosaccharide products available in the market, one having low molecular weight Chitosan compounds and other with higher molecular weight....

....Apart from its disease resistance and growth promoting effect Chitosan use can also improve the beneficial microbial activity when used in soil or soil less medium.
This increase in microbial activity helps in conversion of organic nutrition (not available) to inorganic (available) form. It also helps in making a better root system that helps plants to absorb more nutrients from medium.

In general Chitosan can help improve the fertilizer use efficiency, increase number and size of flowers/fruits, increase the shelf life of produce and this all ultimately lead to more production with less or no use of toxic substances for insect and disease control.

With the growing awareness about Chitosan I believe strongly that this will be the product of this century for better plant growth.

At the end I would like to say that in life it is not the strongest nor the most intelligent survive but the ones most adaptable to change. Always try to use safe (safe for Animals, Human beings and Environment) products for plant growth in order to make this world a better place for living.

By Dr. Tahir Mahmood
Director Research and Development
Grotek Manufacturing Inc.

Last edited:

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
(U.S.) E.P.A. Chitosan "Biopesticide" Fact Sheet

(U.S.) E.P.A. Chitosan "Biopesticide" Fact Sheet

Environmental Protection Agency...
> Pesticides > Biopesticide Active Ingredient Fact Sheets >
Chitosan; Poly-D-glucosamine (128930) Fact sheet

SUMMARY
Chitosan is used primarily as a plant growth enhancer, and as a substance that boosts the ability of plants to defend against fungal infections. It is approved for use outdoors and indoors on many plants grown commercially and by consumers. The active ingredient is found in the shells of crustaceans, such as lobsters, crabs, and shrimp, and in certain other organisms. Given its low potential for toxicity and its abundance in the natural environment, chitosan is not expected to harm people, pets, wildlife, or the environment when used according to label directions.

I. DESCRIPTION OF THE ACTIVE INGREDIENT

Chitosan (poly-D-glucosamine) is one of the most common polymers found in nature. Structurally, it is related to cellulose, which consists of long chains of glucose molecules linked to each other. In chitosan, the building block of the chains is a slightly modified form of glucose. [For another pesticide active ingredient structurally related to chitosan and cellulose, see chitin, also called poly-N-acetyl-D-glucosamine.] Like chitin, chitosan is present in the shells of all crustaceans and insects, and in certain other organisms including many fungi, algae, and yeast. Commercially, chitosan is prepared from chitin, which is isolated from the shells of crustaceans after the edible parts have been removed.

II. USE SITES, USES, TARGET PESTS, AND APPLICATION METHODS

Use Sites: Many field crops, ornamentals, and turf grown in fields, home gardens, nurseries, and other sites.

Uses: Plant defense booster; plant growth regulator (enhancer).
Target Pests: Helps plant defend against certain fungal diseases, including early and late blight, downy and powdery mildew, and gray mold.

Application Methods: Spray on leaves throughout growing season, with applications every one to two weeks as needed.

ASSESSING RISKS TO HUMAN HEALTH
No risks to humans are expected when products containing chitosan are used according to label directions. In toxicity tests, the only effect seen was slight skin irritation after chitosan was applied to skin.

ASSESSING RISKS TO THE ENVIRONMENT
Risks to the environment are not expected because chitosan has not shown toxicity in mammals, it is abundant in nature, and it is used in tiny amounts. E.P.A. Fact sheet link
http://www.icmag.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5060&highlight=chi

Last edited:

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
:wave:
Chi™ is a plant growth regulator that improves the yield, health and vigor of a plant, it is like using an organic growth hormone. Chi is a patented EPA registered concentrate containing chitosan oligomers and a chitosan salt. Chitin is a naturally occurring polymer found in many fungi. Chitin also makes up the outer shell of insects and crustaceans. Chi is an all-natural product manufactured from ocean crustaceans. When applied as a foliar application to plants it provides protection against fungal infection and increases structural strength. Chi also induces activation of genes, which produce protease inhibitors that help protect against insect attack.

Chi's active ingredient is Poly-D-Glucosamine, a derivative of chitin. Chi also contains additional synergistic activators that enhance the bioactivity of the Glucosamine in plants.
Research has demonstrated that when plants are exposed to the chitosan the plants respond by thickening cell walls. This is a defense response by the plant to prevent fungal penetration and subsequent infection.

A yield response, increase in fruit size and number, has been observed on plants treated with Chi. Chi stimulates the plants to redistribute the natural plant growth hormone, auxin. Auxins are a group of naturally occurring plant regulators that are involved in such varied plant activities as stem growth, root formation, fruit formation and development.

:)

Last edited:

Bigmone357

Nice thread/info I.M Boggled! I use that chit :D it works goood. You ever kinda notice it smells like vinegar.:wave:

Last edited:

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
So, I realize this thread is kinda old, but i was going to start a new one about 'Chi' anyway.
First off, any users?
Second, how about you Silica users? what do you think?
Any Silica vs. Chitin?
Anyone think they might react with each other, or supercharge the plants immune system?
I already use Botanicare Silica Blast
SILICA BLAST ™ helps strengthen plant tissue helping plants flourish in adverse environmental conditions such as heat, drought, and frost. For use in container gardens or soilless hydrogardening applications.
SILICA BLAST ™ Directions and Application Rate
To be used in conjunction with standard fertilizer or hydrogarden nutrient program.
For Container Gardens – Use 1/2 – 1 teaspoon per gallon of water (2.5 –5 ml / 4 liters) every, or every other watering.
For Hydrogardens – Mid size plants use 1/2 teaspoon per gallon (2.5 ml/4 liters). Mature plants use 1 teaspoon per gallon (5 ml / 4 liters). Apply to reservoir every 5 –7 days. Adjust pH to 6.0. One teaspoon per gallon of SILICA BLAST ™ (5 ml / 4 liters) per 4 liters (1 gallon) of water will achieve 105 ppm silicate.
Derived from
Sodium Silicate and Potassium Silicate..
Thoughts? I hardly ever see anyone using Silica, and i think it rocks, i was wondering about this product ($18) too. I can't figure out if 'Poly-D-Glucosamine' chemical structure includes silica.

I use Silica Blast in soil, I was going to use it in my Bio-Buckets, but the lava rock naturally gives off large amounts of silica, so it isn't necessary. But I think silica is great. I'm def. gonna go grab some Chi, sounds kickass. I would think they would complement each other well, but I have been wrong before :pointlaug Thanks for the info IM!

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
ShroomDr, I would imagine you're aware of this by this stage but the silica doesn't induce a SAR state to my knowledge, so I would think they're complimentary.
Having said that, I haven't used chitosan yet. I found a bottle in the pond section of a hardware store.

Of course the big test is: Do any of you guys continue to use the chitosan/chitin after all these years? Peace.

zeke99

I use silica a few times through the course of plant's lifetime, maybe 3 or 4.

Usually the affects are instantly noticeable. Give those stems a little squeeze and if they're not rock hard, they will be the day after one application. For example, ProTekt @ 5 ml per gallon...

The question I have is what is the application rate? I have read a couple of abstracts that show a definite decrease in effectiveness at higher rates of application. I have not found a study that definitively says "x mg/ml". I am going to do some experiments with some bagseed seedlings that are about 3 weeks old and on their 3rd nodes.

Anyone find a real application rate reference?

guest396

it will also supposedly kill the deficency falsely called tmv......

the guys at cutting edge are no slouches. used to work right down the street from them they definately are part of the plan.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I add about 1 cup of crustacean meal (shrimp & crab specifically) to each 1 c.f. of potting soil for its chitin (pronounced 'Ki tin') content along with an equal amount of a combination of neem & karanja seeds meals.

No gnats. No aphids. It seriously cripples mite colonies. White flies. Et al.

HTH

CC

I add about 1 cup of crustacean meal (shrimp & crab specifically) to each 1 c.f. of potting soil for its chitin (pronounced 'Ki tin') content along with an equal amount of a combination of neem & karanja seeds meals.

No gnats. No aphids. It seriously cripples mite colonies. White flies. Et al.

HTH

CC

How about using this to amend coco, along with my worm castings?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
How about using this to amend coco, along with my worm castings?
SlowCalaToker

My basic mix is 50% Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss, 25% Pumice and 25% EWC or a EWC/thermal compost mix.

I've used straight organic coir vs. Sphagnum peat moss as well as running a mix of the 2 soil bases - all mixes showed a benefit to adding both the crustacean meal and the neem/karanja meals.

HTH

CC

Azeotrope

Veteran
I find this all too interesting..... I have been aware of the chitosan as beneficial, but now I wonder about something? A local chain of feed, pet, garden/nursery centers where I live have their own line of organic/natural fertilizers. In both the dry and liquid options the boast about some "edible mushroom" extract that makes the plant growth explode and helps to fight pests. I wonder if it is related as the chitosan was first discovered in mushies?

Y

YosemiteSam

SlowCalaToker

My basic mix is 50% Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss, 25% Pumice and 25% EWC or a EWC/thermal compost mix.

I've used straight organic coir vs. Sphagnum peat moss as well as running a mix of the 2 soil bases - all mixes showed a benefit to adding both the crustacean meal and the neem/karanja meals.

HTH

CC

background...I am a coco/refined mineral salt grower who is looking to try organic eventually. But as an in between step I have been looking at adding ewc to my soil and then occasionally feeding the soil instead of the plant to see what effect that would have on taste...personal belief being that organic done right does taste better...just not sure I can do it right just yet.

anyways...i was definitely looking at adding crustacean meal for the chitosan. I am also curious about the neem meal but I see it contains quite a bit of N and that might not work out well with my refined mineral salts. Do you have an opinion CC? Would I need to cut back on my N from my salts?

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Dose suggestion

Dose suggestion

From lemarcel of the Mr Nice forums:

Be careful with chitosan, this product closes leaves' stomas to reduce evapotranspiration of the plant, that can be interesting with cuttings, but with plants I advise you to use ascorbic acid too (vit.C), that will force the stomas to be open.

you can use these dosages if you want to test Chitosan :

chtosan =>300ppm every 20 days (foliar way)

ascorbic acid => 1200ppm every 3 days (foliar way)

Azeotrope

Veteran
Interesting input Scrub. Thanks. I think we all need to remember that there is almost always a limit to anyhting.

spurr

Veteran
From lemarcel of the Mr Nice forums:

Interesting claim about ascorbic acid, do you have the link to that thread at MR forum? Also, was there any scientific evidence (e.g., studies) presented to back up that claim? I ask because I have studied stomatal conductance (Gs) quite a lot for various PGRs, chemicals, PAR ranges (i.e., blue increases Gs, green reduces Gs in absence of blue, and red reduces Gs), Co2 levels (high Co2 reduces Gs), light irridiance (photoninhibition reduces Gs), temp/Rh (see VPD below); and I have not read scientific info about ascorbic acid and Gs, IIRC.

I am also wondering if any studies have been presented by lemarcel on the co-application of substances (or if days apart) that reduce Gs (ex., ABA, chitosan, etc) and ascorbic acid.

One worry I have is that 1,200 ppm is a lot of ascorbic acid (a weak acid). That would drop the pH of the water quite low, and we want pH of foliar spray to be 6-8.5, not lower and not much higher (not considering insolubility of some ions at high pH, ex. P, Fe, etc.). Applying low pH (i.e., < 6-6.5) foliar spray every 3 days is not really a good idea (for the plant-leaf health); there are much better ways to ensure ideal Gs like controlling VPD (not concerning chitosan, that is)...

The best way to increase and provide ideal Gs is by controlling "Air-to-Leaf Vapor Pressure Deficit" (VPD); re: 0.8-1 kPa, at max 1.25 kpa. Too high Gs is bad, just like too low Gs is bad; albeit they are not 'bad' for all the same reasons.

P.S. if a grower is trying to induce SAR, using chitosan is better than SA because chitosan is a good SAR inducer and AFAIK it doesn't hinder trichome production like SA. Another option is using harpin protein. Methylated jasmonic acid has also been found to induce SAR in some plants, but it's not really a all around SAR inducer like those others substances are.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
do you have the link to that thread at MR forum?

Sure do. Thanks for your post, I'm in a rush now but I'll peruse it later. I just got my chitosan bottle today and there is no strength noted. I was going to just use the chitosan alone @ 300ppm. What is a ppm anyway? Does 300ppm equal 0.3ml per litre?

Do all y'all's bottles have strengths listed?

:thank you:

tester

Parts Per Million
milligrams per liter
or
milligrams per kilogram
or
milliliters per cubic meter

300ppm = 300 mg/l = 0.03%