What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I need a soil mix for Greenhouse.

juggernaut

I hope to be closing the deal at house. My plan is to purchase a light depravation greenhouse as soon as the deal closes.
My GH will be nothing big. Around 24' x 36' which is more then enough for me. I'm planing on 4 - 5 harvests a year.

I don't want to use concrete for the floor. Instead my plan is to dig down 4' into the soil and remove it and replace with better soil. If the soil is of a good quality then I will just test it and mix it in with new soil.

Then I would love suggestions on what kind of a soil mix to use for under the green house?
I was thinking of using Rev's formula. It's worked well indoors.

Also suggestions on how to re amend the soil or keep it going strong?

Any suggestions on what I m might need in the GH to make it easier for me or better for the plants.

What should I expect from a contractor, for set up costs + Electrical/water and gas(for co2 generators) and how is the best way to heat it in a Canadian winter.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
A greenhouse as a nursery to start plants works well providing environmental protection etc. This set up suits tables and trays shelves containers fabric cloth on the floor etc. For what you are looking to do I would consider compost. For cultivation as in sustainable or ecologically profitable growing native soil is an ideal medium for plant growth[1,2]. Sourcing or making compost may require some effort with a great reward. Organic matter incorporated into soil can be bagged leaves, mowed grass, baled straw or hay, cover crop, animal manure/bedding, kelp/seaweed, coffee grounds, shells/peels/rinds. Compost increases the organic matter % which is beneficial in all soils. Worms will help mix if applied on the surface or you can fork/mix as much as half compost by volume. 20-30 centimeters is sufficient soil depth more than that may be less efficient. Raised planting beds with or without borders warm earlier in the spring.

Soil meaning soil means the actual dirt as in ground. Not much or any in the way of bagged or transported cultivation media contains dirt as far as I know, in which case you would be paying for transportation and mixing costs of dirt.

https://ggu.ac.in/download/Class-Note13/Soil08.11.13.pdf

https://nrcca.cals.cornell.edu/soil/CA1/CA0101.php

#:~:text=Soil%20is%20a%20Medium%20for,%22life%22%20on%20the%20planet.

juggernaut

A greenhouse as a nursery to start plants works well providing environmental protection etc. This set up suits tables and trays shelves containers fabric cloth on the floor etc. For what you are looking to do I would consider compost. For cultivation as in sustainable or ecologically profitable growing native soil is an ideal medium for plant growth[1,2]. Sourcing or making compost may require some effort with a great reward. Organic matter incorporated into soil can be bagged leaves, mowed grass, baled straw or hay, cover crop, animal manure/bedding, kelp/seaweed, coffee grounds, shells/peels/rinds. Compost increases the organic matter % which is beneficial in all soils. Worms will help mix if applied on the surface or you can fork/mix as much as half compost by volume. 20-30 centimeters is sufficient soil depth more than that may be less efficient. Raised planting beds with or without borders warm earlier in the spring.

Soil meaning soil means the actual dirt as in ground. Not much or any in the way of bagged or transported cultivation media contains dirt as far as I know, in which case you would be paying for transportation and mixing costs of dirt.

Awesome info. tyvm

juggernaut

I live outside of Toronto, Canada. I will need to order
Pro-mix
Canna Coco
Earth worm castings
Perlite
At least 1 skid of each. Can someone tell me the cheapest way to order them?

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
First link with pdf is not working

Radicle Rye

I would do a soil test first. They are pretty cheap. You can also obtain land surveys from your governments AG department that explain in detail soil structure of your land. I would just amend my soil with compost and worm castings specifically for soil structure. Then any nutrition needs can be added with dry amendments incorporated into the soil as well. This is also 10x cheaper than bringing in a "soil less medium", way less labor, and way more environmentally friendly.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Juggernaut
. I'm sure you are well under way for this growing season. What I want you to do is to try a system I have been developing in my greenhouse for several years now.

I call them fungal repositories. It's 100% living organics and it out produces any synthetic fertilizers on the market. I hope you haven't been nuking your soil already. If you have please stop...

I grow in 35 and 45 gallon grow bags. Using a 3/4" to 1" dowl or steel rod. Push two to three holes a few inches in from the edges of your containers, almost to the bottom of the bag or bucket. Bags are far superior and I can tell you why later.

With a regular blender take one whole egg and some discounted or on sale fruits. I use about a cup of strawberries, watermelon, whole brown bananas etc. I blend with rain or lake water that contain other living organics. Distilled, RSO or tap water with the chlorine evaporated out works well also.

So online and get a 5 or 10lb. bag of Sea-90. A little goes a long way. Plants are so healthy and vibrant pest don't bother them anymore. Seaagri.com is a company out of Georgia that sells it.

If you're willing to be amazed with the highest quality and improved quantity, using the same soil for the next decade or more. I can give you more information and results.
Peace farmerlion

Attachments

• photo2057248.jpg
    photo2057248.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 90

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Have your water and soil tested first and then you can get the answers you are wondering about. .😎

Mattbho

5 crops rofl remember this one time at band camp??.
Depending on where in Canada we only get like 8 or 9 hours of weak sun during the winter months. It would be cheaper to buy retail weed. Heating outdoor gh has to be a killer plus running lights for 4 or 5 hours a night. Light dep is for the places that don't get 3 ft of snow in December...

Not likely gonna retire on winter gh bunk .