What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone run CO2 in there Greenhouse?

juggernaut

I don't know if its possible without losing all of your CO2 (leaking out).
If you can..... how do you do it?

mowood3479

Veteran
Ya u could run an air conditioner also, so u didn't have to exchange air to cool the gh.
I'd imagine in a warm climate it would be very inefficient energy wise but idk for sure.

Yes it is the one thing you don't want to skip ! I have been going without co2 enrichment for several years ,once I was able to get it to stay at 1500 or so all day It did away with all larf . I use bottles and several large co2 generators in my greenhouses . Believe me you will not be disappointed if you do !!!
Peace ,oldschool

Reckless

CO2 in a greenhouse is a terrible idea. A greenhouse needs to be ventilated otherwise it gets too humid and too hot. So you're gonna blow air into it and monitorzing CO2 levels at the same time.

Man be glad you can use the sun not a HPS aznd forget about the CO2

ColoradoJay

Whatever Reckless

CO2 is awesome in greenhouses. A co2 generator is basically a propane heater excellent in the winter. In the summer not so much

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
Whatever Reckless

CO2 is awesome in greenhouses. A co2 generator is basically a propane heater excellent in the winter. In the summer not so much

whats cheaper for winter greenhouse, electric heater of propane and dehumidifiers?

coldcanna

Veteran
whats cheaper for winter greenhouse, electric heater of propane and dehumidifiers?

Electric heat is the most expensive method on earth. Natural gas is the best option if its available in your area. Propane/ oil are generally related to each other in price and are very affordable right now although subject to price swings, for example its about $1.75 a gallon now and a few years back it was almost $4. Depending on the size of your operation pellet or biomass boilers can be excellent choices and the price is more stable than fossil fuels.

St. Phatty

Fermentation works pretty good too.

You get about 1 pound of CO2 for every pound of sugar you use.

It's important to use a bit of champagne yeast, so it keeps producing CO2 as the alcohol content rises.

I always thought it would be cool to work something out with a bakery. To share air with the room where all their bread rises ... lots of CO2 there.

guest of late

ive met a few people who run propane heaters in there green houses later in the season when the temps drop, weve speculated that maybe the co2 being given off is like a lil boost late in flower but we couldnt say for sure because it a wasnt fully sealed and we really dont have any experince using co2 at all. it seems like there was a notable differnce in the dense but that coulda just been because they were allowed to fully finish

queequeg152

Veteran
CO2 in a greenhouse is a terrible idea. A greenhouse needs to be ventilated otherwise it gets too humid and too hot. So you're gonna blow air into it and monitorzing CO2 levels at the same time.

Man be glad you can use the sun not a HPS aznd forget about the CO2

ive seen it done once. it was in a horticulture journal documenting the cost benifit of co2 for the production of some sort of very specific very fancy ( probably very profitable) flower. they were growing transplants during the winter through spring.

this was in holland though. quite a bit colder than most of the united states.

they were using supplemental lighting for the evenings and using biomass (wood pellets probably) and natural gas if i remember correctly. they were not anywhere near the co2 figures indoor growers like to keep though... i dont think it was even double the normal co2 levels.

queequeg152

Veteran
also to clarify... by "seen it once", im talking about seeing it randomly when reading about other greenhouse related shit.
its not something ive ever investiaged... id be suprised if there was not a great deal of information on it. i mean... considering the huge volume of air inside even a moderately large high poly tunnel, i would not be suprised if one could not simply co2 enrich for periods at night, then cut the enrichment when the heating demand is gone and still have enough co2 to last throughout the daytime.

dehumidification in all likelihood would not be an issue( unless you are growing a forest inside the greenhouse) owing to the interior surfaces of any greenhouse acting as one enormous condensing surface during these cold months. anyone running a greenhouse can attest to how much water runs off the side walls during cold months.

keeping the co2 inside the greenhouse while maintaining the temperatures is another matter though, and idk how they were managing temps without pumping in colder air or using passive ventilation...perhaps they were using heat exchangers to remove heat from the exhaust gas, but i dont seem to recall any of that being talked about.

xylemhort

CO2 supplementation is standard in commercial greenhouses. CO2 is harvested from the boiler, and generally distributed below growing tables. Advanced greenhouses have hot water towers so that the boiler can be operated to produce CO2 during the day when heating is not required. Hot water produced is stored in the tower to be used to heat the greenhouse during the night.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
My farmer friend is gonna buy a propane generator. I suggested the possibiity of harvesting and using the CO2 from the exhaust.

Anybody doing that successfully, and if so, details please. the gen will be about 30'away, which I think is good cause the exhaust gasses can be cooled along the way.

tilopa

It seems to me that CO2 in a greenhouse is counter productive. I live in a hot climate where half the year I would need significant air conditioning (given the lack of insulation) in order to have an air-tight room so the co2 would not easily escape. Itt would make more sense to just build a shed and do indoor.

For me the beauty of a GH is the simple and low cost build, and low cost operation. And with good air flow, air always moving and being refreshed during light hours, I am getting a decent amount of co2 for free.

Latest posts

Latest posts