What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Prescriptions for Pot

Prescriptions for Pot
August 23, 2007 at 07:02:36 PT
Editorial
Source: The Phoenix

Massachusetts -- Smoking a joint can be a better and more effective way of easing specific types of chronic pain than the use of legal but addictive prescription narcotics such as OxyContin and morphine.

Is this a flash bulletin from the Cheech and Chong School of Medicine? An advertorial from the pages of High Times magazine? Folk wisdom dispensed by a whacky but reliable Central Square pot dealer?

The answer is none of the above. Instead, the conclusion comes from researchers at the University of California, and has been validated by the American Academy of Neurology.

In other words, this reaffirmation that pot, marijuana, cannabis — whatever you want to call it — has legitimate medical applications comes straight from the conservative bosom of the nation’s medical establishment.

While this recent study focused on a very specific sort of pain suffered by HIV victims, its findings are equally applicable to the sorts of pain associated with multiple sclerosis, diabetes, arthritis, and a wide range of side-effects caused by cancer and its treatment.

Plus, more than 150 years of medical research have already established that, in addition to treating certain types of pain, marijuana can be used to treat anxiety, nausea, appetite loss, vomiting, and a host of other afflictions.

Marijuana used in a medical context is not a cure in the sense that antibiotics are. It is more akin to a treatment, something like aspirin. For almost 5000 years, marijuana’s medical uses have been recognized around the world as being both valid and versatile.

The US government has a penchant for fighting foolish wars; Vietnam and Iraq are only geopolitical examples. The so-called war on drugs is an equally misguided crusade. It perverts science, compromises medicine, and callously denies millions who are suffering access to fast, effective, and inexpensive relief.

Laws that remove state-level penalties for medical marijuana are currently in place in Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington. Ten others, plus the District of Columbia, have endorsed the concept.

It is time for Massachusetts to join the ranks of those that make it legal to grow and possess marijuana for medical reasons, subject to medical approval.

As for circumventing prosecution at the federal level, which the US Supreme Court allows, Massachusetts’s congressional delegation should vote to deny specifically the funds needed to prosecute such “crimes,” and should move to protect doctors who prescribe marijuana for medical reasons.

Note: It is time to make the medical use of marijuana legal.

Last edited:
as long as i can remember, i have struggled thru everyday life. i was diagnosed with tourettes syndrome when i was just a little kid, i would have these "tics" or whatever you wanna call it, i also had other problems, like ocd, attention deficit disorder, hyperactivity, sleep problems, and tons of behavioral problems.

One of my worst troubles was feeling uptight and on edge all the time. i have very low stress tolerance and i'd get frustrated very quickly and blow up if something went wrong. I was and still am very emotional, my emotions would always get the better of me. If I got upset about something, i couldn't hold back from crying.

I would get overly excited from time to time and lose all reason. i went thru life in a conatant state of tension. I would feel very anxious even when i had no reason to. the doctor put me on all these prescription meds. first it was all the different pills used for treating tourettes(can't remember the names), then there were anti-psychotics, antidepressants, and all these other pills. I became lethargic, numb and my memory was horribly compromised. I was tired all the time, my brain was in a fog, and after some years of taking these pills, i lost all interest in life.

I had to have blood tests to check if my liver was ok, because there was a risk that these pills would damage my liver and it had to be monitored.

I simply didn't feel alive, i felt so blah all the time. i hated it. I wanted to stop taking these pills so badly but I was told I had to.

I had never known what it must feel like to be normal, yet i wished i could be.

I tried marijuana just out of curiosity (maybe cuz it was my last year of high school or something) but when i got high i also noticed i could let go of obsessive thoughts that i would get stuck on. I could just stop thinking about them and they wouldn't be so urgent anymore. Like magic. I felt relaxed. many of my symptoms disappeared.

I eventually stopped taking all my pills, and to my surprise, instead of doing worse, I was actually doing much better. It was the most amazing experience of my life. I felt like a normal person for the first time in my life. it's so strange how i showed no trace of ocd and my tics greatly diminished. but so wonderful.

to my surprise, i was able to function in normal situations like a normal human being. before i would get so stressed out, i could barely carry on with daily activities. i found myself avoiding complicated tasks. but smoking pot helped me feel calm enough to put things in perspective, make overwhelming situations seem less daunting, and it allowed me to stay calm and get things done. I learned to get stuff done step by step, a little bit at a time. when i feel relaxed i'm not frantically rushing into things but get them done in small, doable steps with an eventual goal in mind. this is called time management and most people learn it early in life but i felt way too wound up to master that. Until now.

I am as normal as you can get these days. I can enjoy life again. i can function. i can dream and live my dreams. i'm not suffering. i have come a long way and i just can't imagine going back. i know i'll never have to.

I smoke pot every day, as needed. it costs a ton of money, but i will hopefully start growing my own once the weather finally warms up. But the most important thing of all is that i finally have the quality of life i deserve. Yes my quality of life has improved.

my family still goes after me about it. they're not very helpful. i buy this stuff out of my own money, i hardly get any support. I know one person who truly understands why i need it. He even stood up for me when my dad saw me making a "deal" on the street.

I have found a much better place to get it now. I get it through mail order, and it's much better than anything found on the streets.

Storm Crow

Veteran
Hello Green Goddess, Happy New Year to you!

Hello Green Goddess, Happy New Year to you!

You might want to print these up and give them to your family-

Treatment of Tourette's Syndrome With Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol
http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/156/3/495

THC is effective in the treatment of tics in Tourette syndrome
http://www.cannabis-med.org/studies/ww_en_db_study_show.php?s_id=98

Treatment of Tourette's syndrome with Delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol
http://www.cannabis-med.org/studies/ww_en_db_study_show.php?s_id=99

Cannabinoids: possible role in patho-physiology and therapy of Gilles de la Tourette syndrome.
http://www.cannabis-med.org/studies/ww_en_db_study_show.php?s_id=100

THC effective in Tourette-Syndrome
http://www.pacifier.com/~alive/cmu/tourette_thc.htm

THC effective in Tourette syndrome in a 6-week trial
http://www.cannabis-med.org/english/bulletin/ww_en_db_cannabis_artikel.php?id=146#1

Good luck- Granny :joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts