What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Enjoy Thailand

gladysvjubb

Veteran
CANNABIS IN THAILAND
Published 3 days ago

Just one year ago, I would have told you that Thailand despite having a reputation for growing some of the best weed in the world a few decades ago, does not have a cultivation scene and is not a place you can come to expect to smoke and remain safe.

In fact, Thailand for many years has been one of the most dangerous countries anywhere in the world to consume cannabis. The jails are full of foreign tourists who thought it was safe to light up a joint in their bungalow and sadly found out that isn’t the case. Penalties for personal usage range from a serious fine and immediate deportation to long prison sentences in some of the harshest prisons on earth.

As it stands now, that is still the case and I strongly advise all of you to avoid the drug scene in Thailand when you visit ...

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I lived on Koh Samui with my Wife 20+ years ago and while it was a delightfully beautiful place ( really. Breathtaking in places ), between the rip offs , bad water when they had it and we lived in what looked like a nice place, Santi Thani ).
I remember road blocks with the thai police looking in cars for weed and other drugs and always waved me on when I was with my Wife returning from one of the great restaurants that exist there as I speculated that a) I was obviously not high ? and b) my older age ? ( mid 40's at the time )
In any event, heed the warnings.......and strictly in my own opinion, life is too short to support places that do not support us back :tiphat:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
They are run by a 'King'. Avoid anywhere they have kings I guess. I think in a while they will come around, hope so. Strange they have hookers and ladyboys on the streets, alcohol consumed heavily, and got to crack down on weed. ?????

They are really third world.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
You have to take into account that to get big loans from the IMF (International Monetary Fund) crucially needed to build basic infrastructure - these previously very poor nations that all had a burgeoning cannabis industry for centuries, had to agree to criminalize and prosecute cannabis farmers, distributors and users - under United Nations Laws against 'narcotics' - so this heavy handed legal approach towards cannabis in SEAsian countries and elsewhere - was only fuelled by these IMF loan stipulations -

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- probably a good place to drop this in - and contemplate what its saying -

picture.php

The IMF is controlled by the USofA, and the USofA is controlled by corporate interests.

Maggotbrain

You have to take into account that to get big loans from the IMF (International Monetary Fund) crucially needed to build basic infrastructure - these previously very poor nations that all had a burgeoning cannabis industry for centuries, had to agree to criminalize and prosecute cannabis farmers, distributors and users - under United Nations Laws against 'narcotics' - so this heavy handed legal approach towards cannabis in SEAsian countries and elsewhere - was only fuelled by these IMF loan stipulations -

The US eradication effort was exceptionally effective in Thailand. They forced the Thai government uproot an ancient cannabis culture. They not only stopped the trade, they aggressively arrested the farmers, took their land and wiped out all of the plants. They threw these simple subsistence farmers into some of the most brutal prisons in the world. I'm sure there were not many people willing to take the risk to preserve the old stuff. 1988 was the last year for the Thai stick trade. The US coast guard intercepted the last eight mother ships off the west coast that year with 250 tons of Thai bud. The great book Thai stick by Peter Maguire and Mike Ritter chronicles the Thai stick trade from the beginning to the end.

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
30 years ago
  • I smoked the good strong weed on Koh Samui (illegal, bought in a bar)
  • Ate Magic Mushrums on Koh Samui (legal. Every second restaurant sold Magic Omelets)
  • Drank Mekong Whiskey in Bangkok (legal everywhere)
  • Smoked opium i northern Thailand (Close to the Golden Triangle)
If I went to Thailand today, I would certainly avoid the illegal stuff.
Risk for getting caught is too big.

P :smoke:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Its really not that bad ,
just be sensible and as ready4 said ,

get advice from and hang out with someone that lives there ,

better still , go next door to cambodia or laos if you want to avoid the strict thai rules on gunja ...

last time i scored in thailand ,, i guess about 7 years back ,
i got 4 ounces for $80 Aud ,
only the compressed brick weed , but its not too bad really ...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The US eradication effort was exceptionally effective in Thailand. They forced the Thai government uproot an ancient cannabis culture. They not only stopped the trade, they aggressively arrested the farmers, took their land and wiped out all of the plants. They threw these simple subsistence farmers into some of the most brutal prisons in the world. I'm sure there were not many people willing to take the risk to preserve the old stuff. 1988 was the last year for the Thai stick trade. The US coast guard intercepted the last eight mother ships off the west coast that year with 250 tons of Thai bud. The great book Thai stick by Peter Maguire and Mike Ritter chronicles the Thai stick trade from the beginning to the end.

https://www.amazon.com/Thai-Stick-Surfers-Scammers-Marijuana/dp/0231161352

Looks interesting.

Maggotbrain