What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

!!! LEGAL HOMEGROW IN FLORIDA - WE NEED YOUR HELP !!!

thethymeisNOW

First.. I have to say I understand and respect everyone's concerns about states that are "legal" but don't allow homegrow.

*THAT IS NOT THE CASE WITH THIS THREAD.*

Florida has a NEW petition out to fully legalize cannabis and allow any resident to HOMEGROW. They only have until Feb 1st to collect 700,000 VERIFIED signatures, which will require about 1 million submissions to account for error.

There's concern about not getting enough exposure. They just got attention from High Times which will hopefully boost facebook numbers and actual signatures. There is a facebook discussion on the HT article and ICMAG was mentioned as a great way to get the word out and get some much needed help.. but to my horror, almost EVERY thread is telling people to VOTE NO?!?!??

I can't tell you how frustrating that was to see, especially considering how hard we're working to give Floridians the right to grow their own cannabis. Once I read some of the threads I realized that you're concerned about states that 'legalize' but don't allow for homegrow. I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND THAT! BUT... Having thread after thread with VOTE NO! in all caps is devastating those that are trying to Actually LEGALIZE Cannabis.

You see, I'd like to think that people are smart enough to read why you're saying VOTE NO!, but we all know that's beyond the capability of most people. People walk away with a half understanding of what you meant, and think that legalizing is bad. Also, I have suspicions that some of the people have their own financial motivations to keep cannabis illegal. They preach about not being a slave to the vendors, when they themselves rely on the fact that they have their own list of clientele to pay the bills.

This initiative, and one other that is happening in FL at the same time also allowing for homegrow, will never make it without the support of the community. I BEG YOU.. if you're a Floridian, or if you even know a Floridian, Please Please Please pass these links to them to get those signatures in. You'll be glad you did when you visit them, and they gift you an oz of their very finest homegrown!

Please ICMAG.. You're our only hope!

Site: http://www.regulateflorida.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RegulateFlorida
Actual Petition: http://dos.elections.myflorida.com/initiatives/fulltext/pdf/64837-1.pdf

RetroGrow

Veteran
So, what are the details that are causing folks to say "vote no"?
I can only imagine, with Florida being one of the most repressive states.
What's the catch?
It's Florida. There has to be one.

RetroGrow

Veteran
O.K. I see the problems.
Maximum of 3 flowering plants. That is not acceptable!
Product cannot be sold!
Possession is limited to one ounce or less!
Totally unacceptable.
It's like saying you can only possess one beer!
As always, the devil's in the details.

thethymeisNOW

So you would rather have zero plants than three flowering and three veg plants??

You CAN sell, with a license. You want to be able to just start selling it out of your house?!? You can't even do that with homemade wine! Don't hold out for that one because that will never be legal in the US without licenses and regulations.

I agree the 1oz isn't written well. Anyone with three flowering plants will have well over an oz on their hands. I interpreted that as being caught with it in transport or gifting to another, but I agree the verbage isn't perfect. As it is right now, the possession limit is zero ounces, so this would be a step in the right direction, no?

Don't get me wrong, I can be an all-or-none person as well, but I have VERY sick people in my life that need this so very bad. Some older people as well that are just not comfortable with this as a medication until they see the laws change. Some are so desperate they're asking younger people to score for them.

Please Retro.. I know exactly how you feel. If we compromise, we feel as if we've already lost.. but there are lives at stake here.. Freedoms as well. I've had my freedom taken from me once, and I'm sure I'm not alone with that. You never forget that feeling, and I'd do anything to stop that from happening to another person that doesn't deserve it.

thethymeisNOW

Total is six plants, three flowering and tree vegging.

C'mon.. this is ICMAG.. your telling me you couldn't pull enough for personal use with 6 plants rotating?

shaggyballs

Veteran
VOTE YES TO ALLOW HOME GROWING IN FLORIDA OR ELSE!.....LOL :biggrin:

Peace to all
:smoke out:

Shag

P.S.
Note to Moderators
Is it possible to please add Florida to the Cannabis Scene: State By State section.:tiphat:

thethymeisNOW

I agree the 1oz isn't written well. Anyone with three flowering plants will have well over an oz on their hands. I interpreted that as being caught with it in transport or gifting to another..

I was just informed that I was correct.. as per usual =D

The 1 oz limitation is for when you are out in public, during transport, or when you're gifting cannabis to someone. No limit on how much you can have in your home.

igrowone

Veteran
you grow it there, you keep it there
1 oz for parties? sounds perfectly adequate
for florida? sounds like paradise

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For a lot of folks that won't want to flower 3 giant plants...
No... 3 plants won't be enough.
The number is inconsiderate of grow method/style.

Just because one person grows 3 lb plants in a dwc doesn't mean everybody wants to.

See Miranda v AZ in my sig.

Constitutional Amendments are not the place to put regulations. Constitutional Amendments are by design, to protect the people from the government.

On that note...
If Floridans vote in a plant count, don't ever expect it to increase... Just saying...

Also, considering the 58% yes vote last time... I honestly don't think this is as big a deal as it's being made out to be.
Florida will get one of the bills to pass... Hopefully it favors the people.

Y is florida so behind with this?
They dont disclose how many plants total per household, just member of a household.
I personally dont like it, but i would still vote for it.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Colorado did this same thing... Now the MED is attempting to regulate personal home grows.

This is not acceptable, imo.

A person either has the Right to grow or not...
Rights cannot be regulated.

RetroGrow

Veteran
I agree the 1oz isn't written well. Anyone with three flowering plants will have well over an oz on their hands. I interpreted that as being caught with it in transport or gifting to another, but I agree the verbage isn't perfect. As it is right now, the possession limit is zero ounces, so this would be a step in the right direction, no?

Don't get me wrong, I can be an all-or-none person as well, but I have VERY sick people in my life that need this so very bad. Some older people as well that are just not comfortable with this as a medication until they see the laws change. Some are so desperate they're asking younger people to score for them.

In Miami Beach only, possession of up to 20 grams is already decriminalized. It's only a ticket, if caught.
As far as sick people: if a law is unjust, it's your duty to break it. Why would anyone hesitate to break a stupid law if their life/health was on the line? If you have sick people in your life who desperately need it, just get it! Don't wait around for these idiots! The people will be dead!
I will definitely not be promoting this petition. It's half-assed.

thethymeisNOW

In Miami Beach....

Not every Floridian lives in Miami Beach or Dade County. Most counties are still VERY STRICT and the further north you go, the more Florida becomes the 'deep south'. Just ask the guy, also from Florida, who posted the 'Busted again...' thread: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=309984

.. oh thats right.. you CAN'T ask him. CAUSE HE'S IN JAIL!

As far as sick people: if a law is unjust, it's your duty to break it.

This unjust law gets broken on an hourly basis, by everyone from the oldest geriatrics, to the university valedictorian, and everyone in between. That doesn't mean people aren't still getting arrested, and having their lives turned upside down by court fees, lawyer fees, and a criminal record. Want a taste of Florida? Here u go-- if they catch you with an ounce: 5 years and a felony. If they catch you with concentrates: 5 years and a felony. If they catch you growing: 5 years and a felony. Don't forget Florida's Mandatory Minimums.. Starting to see the bigger picture yet?

Why would anyone hesitate to break a stupid law...

Have you ever had your freedom taken from you? I have. Since I can already tell you haven't, let me assure you.. it's a feeling you'll never forget. Now say they hand over, oh I don't know, 5 years and a felony record.. still questioning why anyone would hesitate?

Don't wait around for these idiots! ...

I will definitely not be promoting this petition.

Believe it or not, you're in the group of idiots we're being forced to wait around for. Sick people are suffering, good people are getting undeserved JAILTIME, and you're all 'I won't consider it unless I can have as many plants as I want, drive around with as much as I want, and sell it out of my house without a license.'

You're picking the fly shit out of the pepper and making the perfect the enemy of the good.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dude... Just curious... Do you know Retro Grow?

me neither... Your disrespectful attitude toward members are not going to gain you a good rep!

Just saying...

You need to realize the truth homie...

You live in fear!
You're right where the powers that be want you!

Get it?

thethymeisNOW

I know, I get upset when people say ridiculous things like 'why would you hesitate to break a law?' when three threads down some guy is going to jail with child at home. I've also experienced the harsh reality of law enforcement regarding cannabis violations in FL, and it changes your life.

Retro upsets me because he's not alone. I've encountered so many just like him that say, fuck it.. I'm not considering it unless I get everything I want, OR, I'm making money off of it being illegal, OR I don't believe in the constitution, and laws don't exist in my version of reality. Insert excuse here.. it matters not. They're preventing us from changing Any laws because they want to wait around for the Perfect opportunity.. which is never going to come.

I have nothing against Retro personally, and I hope he understands that my frustration is stemming from my firsthand experiences with the unjust nature of our laws, and the harsh penalties that come with them. When we reach out to those we thought were members of our own community, we're met with apathy and a 'who cares.. just break the law anyway yo' attitude.

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
I agree with the sentiment that growers opposing regulation have not done serious time in jail before. Just my two cents.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Have you ever had your freedom taken from you? I have. Since I can already tell you haven't, let me assure you.. it's a feeling you'll never forget.

Now you're really talking some stupid shit. Anyone who's been around here for more than a couple of days like you knows that I've been down.

Believe it or not, you're in the group of idiots we're being forced to wait around for.

No one's forcing you to do anything. As a felon, you are not eligible to sign this petition. No one with a record is able to, so why mislead people and pretend that you/they can sign when you/they can't?

As long as you misquoted me in your over zealousness, I will re-post what I originally posted, which you conveniently edited to suit your agenda:
"Why would anyone hesitate to break a stupid law if their life/health was on the line? If you have sick people in your life who desperately need it, just get it!"

If you actually have/know sick, desperate people who need medicine, then someone needs to grow a pair. If I'm desperately ill, I'm going to get the meds, regardless of the law. That is the definition of "desperate". The so-called desperate people need to get in their cars and drive to a state where they can get access, or make contact with someone who has access. Meanwhile, I'm not ready to cede control to people who initially criminalized a benign plant for reasons of their own greed/prejudices, but now say, "Whoops, we screwed up, but now we're going to make up for 80 years of war against you by throwing you a bone, and allowing you to grow 3 flowering plants and possess up to one ounce. BUT, we have lots of qualifiers, stupid "gotcha's", and assorted rules and regulations, which, if broken, will result in your incarceration. Sorry about that, but we just couldn't find it in our hearts to undo the damage we have done by returning to the way things were before we made criminals out of all of you for our own greedy, hateful, mistaken, and prejudicial reasons. If you want to have any chance of using this, benign,beneficial herb, you're going to have to do it our way. If not, we lock you up.
And by the way, if you have any felony conviction, or if you have any Cannabis arrest record, you are not included. We will bust you all over again for the same thing that got you in trouble, unjustifiably, in the first place."
FUCK THAT!