What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

new petiton forces westminster to consider legalization of cannabis

Piff Rhys Jones

🌴 Hugging Trees 🌴
Veteran
this is from the petition website, i assume they are continuing prohibition of a harmless plant

The latest evidence from the independent Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs is that the use of cannabis is a significant public health issue (‘Cannabis Classification and Public Health’, 2008).
Cannabis can unquestionably cause harm to individuals and society. Legalisation of cannabis would not eliminate the crime committed by the illicit trade, nor would it address the harms associated with drug dependence and the misery that this can cause to families.
Legalisation would also send the wrong message to the vast majority of people who do not take drugs, especially young and vulnerable people, with the potential grave risk of increased misuse of drugs.
Despite the potential opportunity offered by legalisation to raise revenue through taxation, there would be costs in relation to administrative, compliance and law enforcement activities, as well as the wider costs of drug prevention and health services.
The UK's approach on drugs remains clear: we must prevent drug use in our communities; help dependent individuals through treatment and wider recovery support; while ensuring law enforcement protects society by stopping the supply and tackling the organised crime that is associated with the drugs trade. The Government will build on the Drugs Strategy by continuing to take a balanced and coherent approach to address the evolving challenges posed.
There are positive signs that the Government’s approach is working: there has been a long term downward trend in drug use over the last decade, and more people are recovering from their dependency now than in 2009/10. The number of adults aged 16-59 using cannabis in the last year in England and Wales has declined over the last decade from 9.6% to 6.7%, with cannabis use amongst young adults aged 16-24 and young people aged 11-15 following a similar pattern.

The stupid thing about that quote is that the article they cite, 'Cannabis Classification and Public Health', 2008, actually says that cannabis is less harmful than alc and tobacco and that the most harmful thing about the current policy is the criminalisation of the users.

Peace

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Green light lmfao if they only knew

LOL, yes, the worst phrase to use for a grower, we don't want your green lights motherfuckers, fuck all grows in a green light...

Fuck the laws, or waiting passively for things to change, set up clubs via word of mouth, networks of friends and go forward like that, it will be much harder for the government to "legalise" but then hand production to McWanker corporate government bribers.... This is part of the logic we are fighting with here in Spain, the more entrenched it is in local clubs growing their own supplies, the harder it will be to steal it from us "when it is legal"

Look at Canada and some US states (Pennsylvania iirc) where they are "going to legalise" but hand production to corporate friends and still try to ban us from growing. It is going to be legal sooner or later, this is not the question, the real fight is ahead, for real freedom, not simply a different flavour of oppression.

theclearspot

LOL, yes, the worst phrase to use for a grower, we don't want your green lights motherfuckers, fuck all grows in a green light...

Fuck the laws, or waiting passively for things to change, set up clubs via word of mouth, networks of friends and go forward like that, it will be much harder for the government to "legalise" but then hand production to McWanker corporate government bribers.... This is part of the logic we are fighting with here in Spain, the more entrenched it is in local clubs growing their own supplies, the harder it will be to steal it from us "when it is legal"

Look at Canada and some US states (Pennsylvania iirc) where they are "going to legalise" but hand production to corporate friends and still try to ban us from growing. It is going to be legal sooner or later, this is not the question, the real fight is ahead, for real freedom, not simply a different flavour of oppression.

Yes I agree. We dont want a situation where a McCorp or a few of them take control and produce generic crap which could happen if the govt hands out licenses to its 'friends'. People need to start realising that the answers to problems is not through the state or the ballot box; its through individuals ignoring/resisting the state. Forming their own clubs, organisations which stick two fingers up to the State.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Yes I agree. We dont want a situation where a McCorp or a few of them take control and produce generic crap which could happen if the govt hands out licenses to its 'friends'. People need to start realising that the answers to problems is not through the state or the ballot box; its through individuals ignoring/resisting the state. Forming their own clubs, organisations which stick two fingers up to the State.

Exactly, you cannot be a passive passenger in life and then complain how things ended up. If you look at the history of many subjects you see that all it takes for some really good changes to happen is for just one person or few good people who actually stand up and say, fuck that shit, I am going to do this to bring about change.

Look at Pennsylvania, Italy and Canada, the authorities are trying to hand everything to their buddies, or the Army in Italy's case, so you and I will still be wondering if the door is getting SWAT'ted at any given moment. Fuck that for a future "freedom"

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry post deleted too much info and too much sativa making me chatty lol,,,s2

B

bigganjabud

Lol organised crime in there eyes though mate and my green light is only used when the plants are asleep and I need to get in the tent (as a green light doesn't affect a photoperiod)

anyone got a link/stream to this parliament tv? Im an expat dont have Sky 'Lies TV Propaganda' satellite.
Dont hold out any hopes. this has been debated for years and years in UK. If it didnt happen in the late sixties, early 70s it isnt gonna happen now. The UK is a very undemocratic representative democracy ( vote x every four or five years). What a joke. Was watching a documentary about the Swiss at the weekend- direct democracy i.e a say in EVERY issue. Right to hold arms (this would stop the patronising police state of the UK). Problem is that the media (especially Sky) brainwash the people who are generally too busy trying to pay for their ridiculous cost of housing/rent. The UK is an anti-consensual society (as compared to Switzerland etc) and creates social problems and class divides so that the metropolitan elites cream off all the easy money for social workers, police,working class hospitals, prisons. what else would they do for jobs?

And I thought we were pushing shit up hill here in Aus where it was just announced today that we'll be getting medical marijuana very soon (who'll get to grow will now be the issue)

Do you Brits think the attitude will be any different with a change of Government?

I'd encourage you guys to continue with the petition. If you can get 200,000 signatures in one day, imagine what you'd have after six months or a year?

With enough signatures, they can't ignore it. Even the most arrogant care what their peers think. Ignoring millions of their own constituents makes them look real bad in the worlds eyes because it highlights their disregard & contempt for the people.

Don't give in! The bastards on the other side are dug in for the fight. I'd say give it to them, you can win.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Don't expect a govt desperately trying to ban human rights and cozying up to China to give a crap about your views.