What's new

'Baker Street' singer Gerry Rafferty dead at 63

Mr. Burgundy

Gerry Rafferty's agent says the Scottish singer behind hit songs "Baker Street" and "Stuck in the Middle With You" has died. He was 63.

Paul Charles confirmed Tuesday that his client, whose 1978 hit record "Baker Street" reached No. 3 in the U.K. and No. 2 in the U.S. music charts, had passed away following a long illness.

Rafferty wrote hit single "Stuck in the Middle With You" in 1972, while performing as part of the Scottish folk-rock band Stealers Wheel. The ode — or mocking tribute_ to Bob Dylan's raspy voice grew new wings in film maker Quentin Tarantino's movie "Reservoir Dogs," and has sold more than a million copies worldwide.

He made headlines in recent years for his public struggles with alcoholism and had reportedly suffered liver failure.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...04/entertainment/e142424S87.DTL#ixzz1A7V1GF00

Stay Classy!

C

Classy@Home

I was just going to post this - Baker Street is a haunting tune, I've paid street sax musicians just to play the sax riff...

Gerry was out of the public eye for many years - his alcoholism destroyed his career.

RIP Gerry - guess you finally gave up the booze, and the one night stands...

Thanks for the music, you are a legend in a world of wannabees...

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
baker street brings back some specific memories for me...8 track player from speigel catalog and a loooong cold winter....when i do hear it it really takes me back....