What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ballot?

41hope

Will there be enough sign ups to get the bill on the ballot in 2012? Any other thoughts on nevada legalization? For some reason they don't think there will more than 50 growers in Nevada? why?

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
"For some reason they don't think there will more than 50 growers in Nevada? why? "

Cause that's the way they were/are pushing the bill to cover the supply side of it. Now it's up to a handful of guys to get the support needed. Not looking good.

MMP just dropped their funding support for the bill within the past 2 weeks. I wasn't crazy about how they wanted to do it. Make it legal without making it legal. In other words, you can buy it but you can't grow your own, just the 50 lucky enough to get the grow permits can grow.

41hope

So we will not have a bill for the 2012 election? It sounds like it will be a while before it is legalized in Nevada? Your thoughts?

resinryder

Veteran
After MPP cut off funding the small group that remains who were working with the bill stated they would continue to work on it as long as they could. Now saying that, a recent poll by Channel 8 and the Las Vegas Review Journal(think they were involved as far as I can remember) found that there was not enough support for legalization in Nevada. There may be a question on the 2012 ballot but at this point the future of the question is up in the air. It takes a lot of cash to get a question on the ballot and with MPP cutting off funding this throws the bill into uncertainty.

resinryder

Veteran
The ones who are "lucky enough" to get drawn to get the permits after sending in the cash to apply. The "Lucky enough" comment is an inside joke for the families and friends of Nevada's politicians and police officials.

resinryder

Veteran
If the group that is hanging on can somehow get funding they said they will try to get it on the 2012 ballot. But for now that's up in the air. It's an expensive process especially when you have to pay signature gathers. And enough signatures must be gathered in every county based on a percentage the number of people that voted in the last election in each county. In Nevada it's called a Voters Initiative.
Here's how it works. The quick version, hehe
A group comes up with a question to go on the ballot, in this case legalization.
They gather enough signatures and turn it in to the state office responsible for counting and validating the signatures. Other groups examine the question and if no problems are found it goes to the ballot. It would have to pass by more than 50% in 2012 and then it would have to be voted on and passed a second time in 2014 which would then make it a state law. That's how the mmj program came into being.
Now, the state legislature could bring it up and pass it on their own but that will not happen here. Hell, they won't even talk about it.

Latest posts

Latest posts