What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Bad economy good for pot"

D

dorkvan420

http://www.appeal-democrat.com/news/bad-86454-barbourville-economy.html

APPEAL-DEMOCRAT - Sept.11,2009 12:36:00 am

Bad economy good for pot

Associated Press
2009-09-11 00:38:08
BARBOURVILLE, Ky. — Machete-wielding police officers have hacked their way through billions of dollars worth of marijuana in the country's top pot-growing states to stave off a bumper crop sprouting in the tough economy.
The amount only got bigger Thursday when helicopter spotters in Tennessee discovered a five-acre pot field near the Kentucky border and cut down more than 151,000 mature marijuana plants.
The number of plants seized has jumped this year in California, the nation's top marijuana-growing state, while seizures continue to rise in Washington after nearly doubling the previous year. Growers in a three-state region of central Appalachia also appear to have reversed a decline in pot cultivation over the last two years.
Officers in those areas, the nation's biggest hotbeds for marijuana production, have chopped down plants with a combined street value of around $12 billion in the first eight months of this year.
Drug manufacturing and trafficking typically rise during a down economy, said Mike Hudson, commander of the Yuba-Sutter Narcotic Enforcement Team or NET-5. That pattern can be reflected in national, state and local seizures.
"Traditionally that is a trend," he said. "Whether its methamphetamine, marijuana or heroin, they sell drugs to make money."
But the reason behind any increase is hard to pinpoint, Hudson said.
"People are not going to admit 'Hey, I'm doing this because I've lost my job," Hudson said. "But I will say our drug arrests ... are up this year from last year."
No numbers were immediately available but marijuana seizures in the Yuba-Sutter area are about on par with last year, Hudson said. Methamphetamine seizures have increased but that does not mean there is necessarily more meth in the area. Rather, NET-5 may be doing a better job of targeting and arresting offenders.
Because of the challenges presented by the California Compassionate Use Act, NET-5 is focusing more on other drugs and gangs, he said. Luckily, local funding for drug eradication efforts has not been cut.
On Thursday morning, the team seized about 460 marijuana plants in an orchard in south Sutter County, Hudson said. No one was arrested.
While national numbers aren't yet available this year, officers around the country increased their haul from 7 million plants in 2007 to 8 million in 2008.
"A lot of that, we theorize, is the economy," said Ed Shemelya, head of marijuana eradication for the Office of Drug Control Policy's Appalachian High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area. "Places in east Tennessee, eastern Kentucky and West Virginia are probably feeling the recession a lot more severely than the rest of the country and have probably been in that condition a lot longer than the rest of the country."
Growers in Appalachia are often hard-luck entrepreneurs supplementing their income by growing marijuana, authorities say. Troopers thrashing through the thick mountain brush there typically find plots that could easily be tended by a single grower, while officers in the two western states have focused on larger fields run by Mexican cartels with immigrant labor.
Officers assigned to the Tennessee Governor's Task Force on Marijuana Eradication were working Thursday to destroy an expansive marijuana field near Jellico, Tenn. Authorities initially said the field might be the biggest ever found in the state, eclipsing a discovery last year of 350,000 plants in the Appalachian foothills. They later said fewer plants were found Thursday but they were more mature — some as tall as 6 feet — than the ones discovered last year.
The marijuana was being airlifted to a Tennessee state park to be burned. No one had been arrested.
The demand for domestically grown marijuana is at a record high, in part because stricter border control has made it more difficult to import pot from Mexico, said Dave Keller, deputy director of the Appalachian High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area. Keller said growers large and small across the country are trying to fill the void.
The ailing economy isn't stopping users from spending money on pot. In fact, Shemelya said the demand appears to be rising with the unemployment rate.
"I've never seen any decline in demand for marijuana in bad economic times," he said. "If anything, it's the opposite. People always seem to find money somewhere to buy drugs."
The number of plants destroyed in California has increased over the last three years, said the assistant chief of the California Bureau of Narcotics Enforcement, Kent Shaw. The total increased from 4.9 million plants in 2007 to 5.3 million in 2008. Already this year, Shaw said, California authorities have exceeded last year's total.
The Appeal-Democrat's Ashley Gebb contributed to this report.

D

dorkvan420

Sorry need to move this to front page news topic thread area...sorry!!!

"People are not going to admit 'Hey, I'm doing this because I've lost my job," Hudson said. "But I will say our drug arrests ... are up this year from last year."

Maybe people should be saying this. It would not be a lie with the current economic situation many face.I know of a few people that are doing just this, to pay the bills and put food in the kids bellies. Not like government is going to do it for them now are they. If you are not a billion dollar loss, government wants nothing to do with you.

RoomRaider

Well, if you can't get find a job anywhere, and the gov't isn't helping, it makes total sense to grow your own gold. Hell, where I am at, its a little bit less than platinum....

Even if you have a job, good way to inject some cash into your bank out. I mean, the majority of Americans work minimum wage, or slightly higher. Thats only enough to barely pay your rent and utilities, not to mention food and transportation.

"Luckily, local funding for drug eradication efforts has not been cut."

Instead of burning plants, they should just burn the money they get, will do the same amount of "good".

You would think they would get the picture when year after year they keep finding more and more... I mean, they can't even get the small grows, because they are too busy with the bigger ones, so supply will fall, the price will rise, and more people will start to grow because the money outweighs the risk.

Way to go Drug Czar

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
Well, if you can't get find a job anywhere, and the gov't isn't helping, it makes total sense to grow your own gold. Hell, where I am at, its a little bit less than platinum....

Even if you have a job, good way to inject some cash into your bank out. I mean, the majority of Americans work minimum wage, or slightly higher. Thats only enough to barely pay your rent and utilities, not to mention food and transportation.

"Luckily, local funding for drug eradication efforts has not been cut."

Instead of burning plants, they should just burn the money they get, will do the same amount of "good".

You would think they would get the picture when year after year they keep finding more and more... I mean, they can't even get the small grows, because they are too busy with the bigger ones, so supply will fall, the price will rise, and more people will start to grow because the money outweighs the risk.

Way to go Drug Czar

Yep! Drug Czars apparently know nothing about basic economics, or basic human rights for that matter.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It says, "The ailing economy isn't stopping users from spending money on pot. In fact, Shemelya said the demand appears to be rising with the unemployment rate.
"I've never seen any decline in demand for marijuana in bad economic times," he said. "If anything, it's the opposite. People always seem to find money somewhere to buy drugs."

No shit really? I'll tell you where the extra money comes from. We just dont go on vactation, which saves several thousand dollars. In turn we take a mini vacation in our living room with a bong bowl, and then go to the park, and chill.

maxxim

But instead of building a good case for regulation and legalization we have yoyo`s who are complaining about heirloom growing and proper horticulture.

All Free Library of Philadelphia Branch, Regional and Central Libraries Closed Effective Close of Business October 2, 2009

http://libwww.freelibrary.org/closing/

Its so bad out there that we are closing libraries, cutting schools, and a whole host of other shit that will ultimately lower the intelligence of the population.
I guess the people who used to go to the library can now just sit at home and watch some Glenn Beck.

We have the answer to the problem but are seriously lacking a voice to get the message out there.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
Its so bad out there that we are closing libraries, cutting schools, and a whole host of other shit that will ultimately lower the intelligence of the population.

Wow, you really think that's possible? Color me skeptical...

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -H.L. Mencken

Latest posts

Latest posts