What's new

"Death by cannabis verdict is a first"

♥Mo♥

Truth be known cannabis may have kept him alive longer than if he had only used amphetamines and coke. I do not believe cannabis can induce the same damage on the heart as coke or speed can. He was clean of all drugs so maybe he just had a heart attack and died. I believe the zero death rate attributed to cannabis really bothers the nay sayers and will continue to be chastised until they can make something up that is believable. All one can really do is continue to educate those around us. Word of mouth is still the best advetising available.

ddrew

Veteran
Dr Sally Hales, who carried out the post mortem examination, said the teenager had inflammation of the heart and that "a history of using cannabis, amphetamines and cocaine would appear to be the most likely cause".

That's the end part of the article, they don't know anything for sure, doc is saying "most likely" in other words, she's speculating, and talking out of her ass.

Kizzattack

♥Mo♥;2477720 said:
I believe the zero death rate attributed to cannabis really bothers the nay sayers and will continue to be chastised until they can make something up that is believable.

Yeah. All they need is one death attributed to Cannabis to destroy the argument that nobody has died from Cannabis consumption (although alcohol is legal and kills thousands of people every day).

"A history of using cannabis, amphetamines and cocaine would appear to be the most likely cause"

What a bloody idiot. I swear, if these people found a man's corpse with 2g of weed in the shirt pocket, multiple gunshot wounds to his chest and head, and a stomach full of poison, they'd be saying "It appears the man has died from the toxic effects of Cannabis, along with a few other minor health problems".

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
haha alcohol doesn't kill thousands a *day*, but yes, it's way worse and we advertise it all over. Our local city council even used to sit by and let a rich bar owner in the area serve to minors until the state did a sting and stopped him themselves. The outright crime levels here are pretty mild, but the corruption is rampant. The rich here make big money off real estate(the best market for swindlers), and off college and high school kids buying alcohol. It really proves to me that when push comes to shove, the government doesn't give a fuck about the children. Alcohol is legal because it makes big money for the big booze companies. Pot is illegal because it's hard to monopolize, and it doesn't require the more complicated chemistry of brewing alcohol. Almost anyone in the USA could put a cannabis plant in their garden and have plentiful free pot. Alcohol is a lot more work, and more risks, so you have to buy it. See how it works? Pot will never be legal because of corporations, it'll only be legal because of grass-roots activism(pun intended).

S

Sir_Nugget

i aggree with the poster above... corportate interestrs dominate over most other types of humane interestes in america

It's propaganda like this that the general public takes as fact just because some doctor says so. Nobody bothers to question the conclusion or if there were some underlining motive to reach them. Something on the order of; "I might get a promotion if I say this."

Respect bass

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
"... smoking is the only method that approaches the instant delivery of drug achieved by intravenous injection ..."
Iversen, L. The Science of Marijuana 2nd Ed., Oxford University Press, 2008: Chapter 2, p. 43
There is no doubt that there are different highs from hitting a joint, a steamroller, or a bong, and a much different high from a vaporizer or from edibles. This can be attributed to the differing ratios of cannabinoids produced by the differing intake methods.

Yes, inhaling gets the gold medal for speed since you can't even inject natural THC to the best of my knowledge. I know that the lab researchers know how to make a form of THC that can be injected. I only dispute the definition of 'efficient' being limited to speed. I'm more concerned about the overall effect, and really can't even achieve my goal via inhaling anymore. How can a method be more efficient if you can never achieve your goal? I would also expect vaporization to be as fast as smoking it. Come to think of it I wouldn't be shocked if it were slightly faster, since there isn't all that smoke particulate in the lungs clogging up absorption.

IMO other factors such as the smoothness and flavor and the visual of the smoke play a large part in personal satisfaction.

-OT

That really has nothing to do with the efficiency of achieving your intended state of mind, and everything to do with what floats your boat. Well, unless a major part of your intended state of mind is enjoying the smoke whirls, in which case it's likely the most efficient method to achieve your goal. I tired of watching gas clouds dissipate a while ago so it's not part of mine.

A

alpinestar

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article999100.ece

A WARNING about the toxic effects of cannabis was issued last night after a 36-year-old man became the first to die as a direct result of smoking the drug.

Lee Maisey, 36, who smoked half a dozen “joints” a day, was found dead on the living room floor of his home in Summerhill, Pembrokeshire, after complaining of a headache.
Michael Howells, the Pembrokeshire Coroner, recorded the cause of death as cannabis poisoning, although the verdict recorded was death by misadventure because Mr Maisey had died while taking part in an illegal activity.
Philip Guy, a lecturer in addictions at the University of Hull, said that “cannabis has changed. Nowadays it is a lot stronger than it used to be. It is not the nice hippy drug it once was. It is a distinct possibility that someone could die from extreme toxicity.” Dr Guy said death was more likely if the drug had been eaten instead of smoked. “If you eat a large amount of it it can be deadly.”

Can you believe this bullshit it seems the gov. will try anything now-a-days.

its all total bullshit
the ld50 for thc is too high to die from weed

that dude would have had to have somehow ingested several pounds of hash all at once (and metabolized it) in order to kill himself

its not possible to die from cannabinoid toxicity

everything is technically toxic, even water is toxic

It's propaganda like this that the general public takes as fact just because some doctor says so. Nobody bothers to question the conclusion or if there were some underlining motive to reach them. Something on the order of; "I might get a promotion if I say this."

Respect bass

yeah he gets to be the first jerkoff to "discover" cannabis toxicity toward humans. and even after he is shown to be full of shit, he will have had his 15 minutes of fame
people who want to believe something will almost always eventually convince themselves of it...