What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

$42 billion dollars a year

madrecinco

Veteran
the federal government could clear up the federal deficit by legalizing weed as it generates sales of $113 billion a year here in America.
And the office of National Drug Control says it is most popular illegal drug in America,,,DUH!

But if they legalized it between taxation and less criminal prosecutions it would generate $42 billion dollars a year in money.
Daniel Stien in Cali pays $80,000 a year in state taxes but does not pay federal taxes as they don't acknowledge his business of MMJ and his 2 retail outlets in cali selling $1 million dollars a year of merchandise.

Kind of stupid as our country is sinking.
In the 1930's when revenues were falling they repealed Prohibition and taxed liquor to get ahead.

That info was in an article @MSN today written by John Dyer......Obama wake up! I think the Govenator of Cali is already figuring this out.:wallbash:

Tom.Foolery

just wondering where did the 113 billion figure come from?

i believe milton freidman estimated that the feds could save around 14bill (don't quote me on this #) annually by avoiding court fees and taxing/regulating. this was probably quite a while ago tho.

seems like the momentum my finally be on our side on decriminalization/legalization efforts. nothing like a recession to make taxpayers question whether or not their hard earned money is wasted prosecuting non-violent and predominately law abiding citizens.

dbfr3sh

y is everyone starting the same thread? everyone knows weed sales....tax...regulate...whatever equals money.... we really dont hav to push this its common sense.

think about it...obamas past his 100 days and so far hes looking pretty good as president. why the hell would he tax or legalize now? he won the election hes trying to fix the ecomonmy and all that so why would he do this now? he wouldnt.

we want taxes/legalization/decrim now but now isnt the time when it will happen...wait 2-3 years before the end of obamas first term in office, if by then he isnt looking really good in the eyes of the americans then he will tax cannabis and by carefully planning this he will obviously set himself up for re-election....with the majority vote in the younger and stoner vote and he will be around for another term.

just ask yourself why right now? why would obama say that this rule has to change now? bc of swine flu...no. because of all us people who wanna get high...nope....or how about the less fortunate people who need it for medicinal purposes...we really like to think so but Obama doesnt care bout u either. he wants to be in the record books as the savior half black half white president so if he taxes cannabis now and the world goes to shit in 2-3 years how do u think obama will get another term.....

i know we want it now but nows not the time. obama said before the end of his first term america will be 50% out of debt and you know what i bet u it will be...3 yrs from now

madrecinco

Veteran
It is on MSN today and maybe google the author I provided from an MSN article today....but that 113 billion was from 2007. The article is today and titled
"A Budget Cure: Marijuana taxes." by John Dyer

I think the recession might actually help us tokers ......as D.C. is a bunch of greedy bastards and are gonna want to get in on the money now that they have screwed the economy up so bad. They use cigarettes, alcohol, and gambling to make money.....might as well do it with weed and save lots of money....release some inmates and tax the users.

It actually could save this countrys financial ass. I hope it does move in that direction.
because Floridians are lazy and not activist enough. Must be the damn sun.

dbfr3sh

florida consists of mainly elderly people duh....obviously older people dont want young kids running around all hopped up on "dope". it hasnt nothing to do with activists. would u go to humboldt county and try to band growing, weed etc? nope. theres plenty of ways to 'fight the cause" without putting your ass on the line.

you live in fl huh try standing on the street waving a MMJ sign and well see how much you fight the cause then.

madrecinco

Veteran
I am a senior citizen in Florida and toke everyday.....don't generalize as it makes you seem narrow. So STFU!

dbfr3sh

guess with age doesnt come wisdom...and im not generalizing....the highest percent of florida voters are senior citizens, and disprove marijuana, thats called a fact.

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
I doubt nationally we will be able to tax and get 42 bill a year. California is doing super bad on money and MMJ is legal here more then anywhere else. Cannabis alone wont clear out our budget. All spending needs to get monitored before we can start cleaning our national debt.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Cannabis alone wont clear out our budget.
If you're just talking marijuana, I agree. But cannabis also includes hemp, which I believe could give a huge boost to our economy. Hemp would impact many industries beyond agriculture, not to mention reducing our dependence on foreign oil. People seem to focus only the impact of legal marijuana and forget that hemp would also be included in any legislation that legalized marijuana. If marijuana were legal, there would no longer be any reason to outlaw the most valuable industrial crop known to mankind.

J

JackTheGrower

y is everyone starting the same thread? everyone knows weed sales....tax...regulate...whatever equals money.... we really dont hav to push this its common sense.

I kniow what you are saying.. I'm guessing it's fun.

I read all the threads.. Each post offers me some insight to the poster.

Sort of I tell two friends they tell two friends and so on.. LOL'''

Best of days to you!

Jack

dbfr3sh

taxing growers $2500/year times 100,000people(easy) = $2.5/year and thats probably minimum.

we are trying to push our culture not being greedy people, well you have to realize in order to get your way in this world you have to pay.

how is the government and obama going to arrest us if were fixing the US financial debt?

J

JackTheGrower

taxing growers $2500/year times 100,000people(easy) = $2.5/year and thats probably minimum.

we are trying to push our culture not being greedy people, well you have to realize in order to get your way in this world you have to pay.

how is the government and obama going to arrest us if were fixing the US financial debt?

I do think, sadly, that a USA wide change is a "Far Far Far Away" thing.

However, it's seems to be about money.. Always about money.. Since we have reaceached the end of American Capitalism as we knew it I believe California Voters will one day vote on the issue like Prop 215...

I just hope this "We should discuss it" thing isn't an attempt to talk it to death.

I would rather it get rejected by the senate and or assembly then go to the people.

They know we will do it... That's a given.

It's a done deal as far as California people are conserned AFAIK.
A no brainer to stop the drug money and save the social services of California plus stop new taxes at the store, pump and on income.

I'm here I'm talking to people I am getting positive feeedback.

It's the representitives of corporations that are in the way ie conservitive California Senetors Esp... Stanislaus County.

Jack.

Last edited:

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
If you're just talking marijuana, I agree. But cannabis also includes hemp, which I believe could give a huge boost to our economy. Hemp would impact many industries beyond agriculture, not to mention reducing our dependence on foreign oil. People seem to focus only the impact of legal marijuana and forget that hemp would also be included in any legislation that legalized marijuana. If marijuana were legal, there would no longer be any reason to outlaw the most valuable industrial crop known to mankind.
Yeah i was just talking bout the actual flowers and extracts. What you are saying though with hemp is totally valid. I would think hemp would generate more money than the drug form of cannabis. Shit we can maybe have a textiles industry here in the US again. I dont think the politicians are taking the hemp industry into account though when they are talking about marijuana. It seems like they are just focusing on the black market value of the drug and how they can tax that.

BTW are we allowed to vote on the state level to allow hemp growing? I always wondered this.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
I find it weird when people say 'it's all about money'. Of course it is. What is your problem with it? Yeah, if things were different they wouldn't be the same, but that's how we keep score. Give it a try. You might even have fun doing it.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
guess with age doesnt come wisdom...and im not generalizing....the highest percent of florida voters are senior citizens, and disprove marijuana, thats called a fact.

^your a tick on a troll dick, not even a proper troll.
senior citizens have the highest voting percentage everywhere in america.
now crawl off you little parasite .:noway: Its mothers day show some respect

U

ureapwhatusow

the federal government could clear up the federal deficit by legalizing weed as it generates sales of $113 billion a year here in America.
And the office of National Drug Control says it is most popular illegal drug in America,,,DUH!

But if they legalized it between taxation and less criminal prosecutions it would generate $42 billion dollars a year in money.
Daniel Stien in Cali pays $80,000 a year in state taxes but does not pay federal taxes as they don't acknowledge his business of MMJ and his 2 retail outlets in cali selling $1 million dollars a year of merchandise.

Kind of stupid as our country is sinking.
In the 1930's when revenues were falling they repealed Prohibition and taxed liquor to get ahead.

That info was in an article @MSN today written by John Dyer......Obama wake up! I think the Govenator of Cali is already figuring this out.:wallbash:

I disagree.

Its robbing peter to pay paul.

Taxation is not going to add revenue to the economy but simply take it from on eentity to give it to antoher

id rather see some guy make a million a year not getting taxed at a dispensery than the government take that money to bail out the auto insurance mortgage markets where the CEO and major shareholders have earned hundreds of millions

taxing marijuana is taxation without representation and unconstitutional

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
I disagree.

Its robbing peter to pay paul.

Taxation is not going to add revenue to the economy but simply take it from on eentity to give it to antoher

id rather see some guy make a million a year not getting taxed at a dispensery than the government take that money to bail out the auto insurance mortgage markets where the CEO and major shareholders have earned hundreds of millions

taxing marijuana is taxation without representation and unconstitutional
Very valid point. Why cant the pill industry bail out the car industry? Taking from one entity and giving to another does nothing to solve the whole problem.

madrecinco

Veteran
I kniow what you are saying.. I'm guessing it's fun.

I read all the threads.. Each post offers me some insight to the poster.

Sort of I tell two friends they tell two friends and so on.. LOL'''

Best of days to you!

Jack

Yes we do need to keep talking about it and spread the word and educate ppl. Change comes when the ppl demand it.