What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bayer shares plunge after Roundup lawsuit

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
image.jpg

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Smoke and mirrors. Monsanto NEVER pays. NEVER has. NEVER will. For the simple reason that Roundup is totally safe and does not cause or contribute to cancer. And, Monsanto proves that over and over in court after court, time after time.

If you read that article, you'll see no one won anything except a little fun for the legal team at Bayer/Monsanto.

But this trial isn't over yet. While the first phase focused on whether Roundup caused Hardeman's cancer, the second phase -- which begins Wednesday -- focuses on whether Monsanto is liable.

It's unclear how much the jury might award Hardeman in damages, if anything at all.
But last August, in the first state trial over whether Roundup can cause cancer, California jurors awarded former school groundskeeper Dewayne Johnson $289 million in punitive and compensatory damages.
A judge later reduced the total award to $78 million.

But Johnson's attorney Timothy LItzenburg said his client has not seen much of it because Monsanto is appealing.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Werner Baumann is CEO of Bayer, a company with 118,900 employees, which was founded in 1963 in Barmen, Germany. Baumann joined the company in 1988. He was CFO of Bayer AG as of 2010 and then carried the title of Chief Strategy and Portfolio Officer and Chairman of the Board of Management before becoming CEO in 2016. In 2016, Baumann took home $6.6mn.

I wish I had his headaches. LOL

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Where did you throw it? No doubt you did more damage than properly using it. LOL It's perfectly safe when used as directed.

I, personally don't use Roundup. I still have plenty of DDT left over from the days when it was legal. I use that on all my pest problems. Even had a white trash neighbor once that I used it on. Killed 'em faster than a cockroach. Awesome stuff. Can't believe they took it off the market.

soil margin

Veteran
Whether or not Bayer ends up paying the full damages awarded is sort of irrelevant in regards to wanting to hurt the company. Currently just a 10% fall in their share price is equivalent to billions in losses which is far more than the amount awarded in the lawsuits anyway.

DenverJim

The Feds refused to go along with the wackos. I think breathing causes cancer cause everyone that breathes gets cancer. I grew up in Pgh, Pa in the 60's. I know what pollution looks like. Even Denver in the 70's couldn't see the city when coming from the mountains. Like LA today.

DenverJim

I had some for emergency use. Isn't it amazing how we used ddt to eliminated the tropical diseases from the south then told everybody not to use it.
I use abamectin and imidacloprid this year no pests. I also read that treating seeds with imidacloprid is a good idea. Life is hazardous to your health...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
When the Monsnto Round-up patent ran out, a knock-off product called "Eraser" came out that was the same 43% gyphosate, but a lot cheaper. That was maybe 20 years ago. How do they know that some of the cancer claimants weren't using the knockoff stuff, and if they did why should MON pay?

A guy I worked with was spraying up a tree trying to get rid of something, getting Roundup all over himself. He had lymphomia shortly thereafter. No doubt he is claiming, if he is still alive.

Hell, fill out in a claim. They aren't checking... free money!

I have been through a half dozen 2 1/2 gallon jugs of the stuff over the years. Never wear gloves, had had it on me a lot. Just don't spray the garden.

We have become a country of whiners, cry babies, losers, and lawyers.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
your forgot about apathetic psychopaths who deny causation because it isn't instantaneous or absolutely pervasive