What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Unimpressed with Reserva Privada "Fems"

Fitzera

I ordered OG18 and Sour Kush a while back from seedsman. In the breeders packs. First time popping any. Both are showing more Male than female pre flowers. Not impressed at all. No other plants have ever hermied in my set up. No light leaks. No hidden led light to cause it. No heat or cold stress. No deficiencies. No burn. Ph balanced ro water. Homemade amended super soil, top dresses and teas. They look great aside from the ball bullshit.

This is the tent without the LED on.
picture.php

OG18, you can see the female hairs at the top end of the branch. You can kind of make out the Male parts on the node just right of center of the pic.
picture.php

Sour Kush, same idea, you can just see the hairs at the top end of the branch and the Male parts the next node down.
picture.php

Sorry the pics arent clearer.

maimunji

No need to defend yourself. Breeders like people to think hermies is environment issues or grower mistake. They are not. They simply lying and create myths about light leak to sell their shit.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No need to defend yourself. Breeders like people to think hermies is environment issues or grower mistake. They are not. They simply lying and create myths about light leak to sell their shit.

I agree.

Maybe if you pluck the balls they won't return.
Plenty of cases to support that idea.

Fitzera

Feminized seed is such bullshit. They need to be considered the transgendered of the cannabis world. Like would you expect a MtF tranny to yield viable offspring in a human? What kind of defects would you expect should a thing be even possible? Would you even consider it worth the risk if allowing them to breed? Would you be willing to pass on your genetic lineage to such a being?

Treat your garden the same by rejecting all forms of non traditional bred genetics and you'll save yourself a whole lot of heartache and trouble.

For various reasons, I currently cant support a mother room. Another reason I'm using fems is trying to maximize space usage and efficiency of wattage. I do have quite a bit of regular seed stock as well that I'm holding for when I can best use them, I have been throwing in a few here an there but would prefer to be able to plant all of a strain to select females and continue.

JanKowalski

Does anyone had similar experiences with Reserva Privada fem seeds? I' m going to grow some Sour Tangie..

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I have a RP og kush plant I found in a fem pack around 9 years ago. She holds her own with any og I have smoked. The only time I have seen any sign of herms is when friend flower an old mom and let his room hit near 100 degrees several times. She survived broad mites a few years back and a pm out break just recently. I have bred with her and have found amazing offspring also with no herms.

I mostly agree. Fems can be all sorts of trouble and I have not run any other RP strains except a free cole train seed that was also really nice but most like not a keeper pheno.

Feminized seed is such bullshit. They need to be considered the transgendered of the cannabis world. Like would you expect a MtF tranny to yield viable offspring in a human? What kind of defects would you expect should a thing be even possible? Would you even consider it worth the risk if allowing them to breed? Would you be willing to pass on your genetic lineage to such a being?

Treat your garden the same by rejecting all forms of non traditional bred genetics and you'll save yourself a whole lot of heartache and trouble.

Yeah you have no idea what you’re talking about. I guess you won’t grow any OG, Chemdog, Sour Diesel, Cookies, or GG4 genetics. All are products of herms.

Many plant and animal species use some form of parthenogenesis or selfing to ensure that the next generation is produced. Cannabis is one of them. For them, it IS a natural part of the reproduction that does occur regularly.

Also, there’s no way to genetically differentiate between a female cannabis plant that was made through fem or reg cross.

Spongerob

If so called "light leaks" caused hermaphodism then why doesn't a full moon wreck the entire outdoor cannabis crop world wide? I call bs. It's weak genetics period.

Fitzera

If so called "light leaks" caused hermaphodism then why doesn't a full moon wreck the entire outdoor cannabis crop world wide? I call bs. It's weak genetics period.

I dont believe the moon provides light intense enough to trigger the plants.

therevverend

Veteran
I'm not convinced those are balls. They could be undifferentiated primordia. I've seen preflowers like that and been convinced they were males. The plant turned out to be female. Doesn't happen as much indoors, outdoors I see them all the time. It's an easy mistake to make.
A buddy of mine gave a friend some seeds. In late June he called him up bitching up a storm. You ripped me off! Wasted a crop on hermies!
I'd grown the strain, never seen a ball ever. I looked at the calendar and got confused. How does he know if it's turned herm if it isn't flowering yet? Undifferentiated primordia. A few weeks later the plants sexed and were males and females.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran

Lol. Maybe for the same reason that if grow a 15 ft tall plant outdoors you can still get nice buds on the bottom. Outdoor sun is so so much brighter.

Herms can also be caused by light interuptions, over and underwatering, heat and any other stress. And just like already mentioned. The breeder hermed a most likely already herm strain (like all og and chems) to produce og 18 and then hermed that plant to produce the seeds in question. Plus it takes very little research to see that herms are very common in these line. There are other breeder that have worked several generations to remove these traits. These of course have been outcrossed and bred to not be as prone to herm.

I do not see how it is bad breeding or even breeding to s1 a plant. If the custumer wants a fem seed from a known hermie prone plant it is pretty obvious that some herms will occur. And more if the plants are stressed.

Several breeders now have worked og lines. Go buy a pack of regular seeds or so and pheno hunt the plant you seek.

Fitzera

I'm not convinced those are balls. They could be undifferentiated primordia. I've seen preflowers like that and been convinced they were males. The plant turned out to be female. Doesn't happen as much indoors, outdoors I see them all the time. It's an easy mistake to make.
A buddy of mine gave a friend some seeds. In late June he called him up bitching up a storm. You ripped me off! Wasted a crop on hermies!
I'd grown the strain, never seen a ball ever. I looked at the calendar and got confused. How does he know if it's turned herm if it isn't flowering yet? Undifferentiated primordia. A few weeks later the plants sexed and were males and females.

I'm giving them more time as I will be out of town starting the 6th. If I'm convinced they've hermed just prior to that date I'm going to try plucking balls and have the wife keep an eye on them for me.

Fitzera

OG18
picture.php

Sour Kush
picture.php

To me they both clearly show Male parts on the lowers and female parts on the tops.
I'm going to do some plucking.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran

If you think twice you'll know that this was all bullshit. In plant breeding there are no gender and
sexual ethics. Breeders do nasty stuff all the time 24-7, like breeding parents with kids, sisters with brothers, grandmas with grandsons and so on. What did you wanna say actually?

hyposomniac

I've personally never had a problem with fem seeds herming, even when I fuck up.
Put a rp kosher kush out too early one year, it starts to flower, reveges and then flowers. Leafy but good, no seeds or balls.
Rp Skywalker og came out super smelly and tasty, but small