What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Only male plant

Popey

Veteran
Hi. I lost my regular seeds and I have only male plant (clon). What can I do to keep the genes? Is it possible?

mr.brunch

Veteran
From what I hear, you could reverse a clone into a female then pollinate it with itself to get a few seeds.. so I understand.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Hi. I lost my regular seeds and I have only male plant (clon). What can I do to keep the genes? Is it possible?
If you don't wanna keep a cutting of him, then you can flower the male and store some pollen in the freezer.
Collect the pollen into small vials, or something, and put some rice or silica grains in the vial along with the pollen as a desiccant, and then put the vials in the freezer in some airtight container. It will stay usable for years, over a decade.

Popey

Veteran
Wow, I didn't know that reverse male -> female is possible.

Thanks for link.

A.C.A.B

Hi,

If you reverse the male to self pollinate himself you'll get seeds with 100% males though. Same as when you produce feminized seeds by reversing a female to self pollinate or hit another female plant. If you want females you'll need to go through BX, if possible use a female with close parentage to your male for the first outcross.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
^this is not correct, here is the reasoning why.

If you do choose to reverse the male and make seeds on itself or a clone of itself roughly 25% of the seeds will be XX female, 50% will be XY male and the remaining 25% will be True YY males which likely will be sterile.

Best option would be to cross your male to a different female and back cross female offspring to your male again.

to make all male seeds is not so simple as this. With females that are turned male there is no Y only XX so you get all female seeds, when a male XX is crossed with a normal XX female. With a male turned female both X&Y are there

-SamS

XY = male
XX = female

Females turned to male have only XX so when bred to a normal female XX the result is always XX, female.

Males turned to female are XY so when bred to a normal male XY the results are half the seeds are XY male, and 25% are XX female, And 25% YY male if they can survive, because YY often do not.
Get it?
Sorry for any mix-up earlier.
-SamS

Try this , use XY x XY as the parents.
https://www.changbioscience.com/genetics/punnett.html

Punnett Square

XY x XY

...X Y
X XX XY
Y XY YY

Genotype Frequencies:
XX: 1 ( 25% ) female
XY: 2 ( 50% ) male
YY: 1 ( 25% ) male if it lives

Popey

Veteran
Best option would be to cross your male to a different female and back cross female offspring to your male again.

I thought about this option before I asked you.
Single backcrossing and searching relevant genotype.
It seems easier than use ethylene but method with ethylene is very interesting so I think that I will use both methods :)

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sure it can be done, but the problem will be the same lack of variation you would see in feminized seeds. It's worth a try, because that male could be excellent and selfing it may produce exactly what you want, but the seeds will still have limited variation to work with.

ahortator

Veteran
Making a male to produce female flowers (sex reversion) has the advantage you keep your strain 100% pure and in one single step.

Backcrossing or cubing takes at least 5 or 6 steps. Also backcrossing 6 times you get 99.21875% the DNA from the recurrent parental.

As Ibechillin has said, males have XY chomosomes, while females have XX. So making S1 seeds from a male you will get both sexes. This fact makes this method a powerful tool to recover a endangered strain. THe best way would be from several plants and with females to avoid inbreeding but sometimes you only get one seed germinating from a batch.

Also perhaps you can get supermales YY. To avoid them simply chose females among the S1 and pollinate them again with their father with you are sure it is XY and no YY.

The only problem from the YY supermales is their offspring with a female XX will be always males XY. So asuming YY are viable and fertile their biggest drawback is a strange male/female sex ratio in the first generation of seeds made fro the S1. As I have said before you can avoid this problem simply rejecting the S1 males and pollinating the females with your original male which is their father, so XY. And you will get a normal sex ratio for that strain.

You can use any ethylene source available. I have used ripe bananas and a transparent plastic bag as a bell with two bananas as clapper covering the top of the main stem of a male. Also I have some failed attempts with such method. So I guess Ethephone is more effective.

If you try it you will only waste one cutting, because the male will be still making male flowers which will pollinate the female flowers.

This pic is from a failed attempt with a revegeted male. The male made only a few scarce incomplete female floweres, with calyxes but with no pistils. So it was impossible to get seeds that time.

aMnP2c6.jpg

Has anyone actually pollinated a reversed male plant? I’m skeptical that it will produce viable seeds. It could, but I’ve never seen a documented case of it working.

Popey

Veteran
Thank you for your comprehensive answer. I found Ethephon online store :) I will buy it when I have more clones.

ahortator

Veteran
You will find this interesting:

Sorry for the slow reply, I was up on the mountain busy with harvest all day yesterday and am literally heading out the door right now to get on it... going to be a long week. :D

Let me pass on a couple of tips now to keep your project moving, then I will try and address the rest of the questions when I have a bit more time...

I should say right off the bat this this method for producing pistills was not my discovery; it came from our good friend and research colleague hyb/eXe.... gotta give credit where it's due.

Ethephon @ 750 ppm sprayed once/week for three weeks. The effect was such as to produce pistills enough for making seeds, which was my only goal- to create male selfs and male:male seeds for use in breeding/research- ie towards the development of pure XY lines. The above mentionned regimen is sufficient to that end.

I have not used the technique for testing males via their 'pistillate characteristics' in the purest sense, although the plants clearly showed 'pistillate characterists' in the appearance of their resin profiles/smell etc.

I imagine continual application up to 6 weeks for most WLD indica individuals would be sufficient to produce femlae 'buds' on the male plant but further research is clearly in order. The plants I was working with never recieved enough light/space/energy to produce buds and thus truly evaluate the females by smoking.

Once the plants were were fertilized I stopped the applications of ethephon (ethylene as a primary of the 7 plant hormones has many many functions in the plant and I didn't want to interfere with seed development). Of course the fertilization dramatically slowed further floral development as the plants directed their energy into the devellopment of seed. I suspect continued applications combined with more light and space would produce larger floral clusters than shown in the included pic (below).

The 'booseted' regimen would surely produce enough floral mass for use in GC/MS applications for Cannabinoid and Terpinoid analysis quantification/analysis, as you can see even the seeded pistillate clusters produced enough mass for GC testing.

I'll be back to address the rest of the questions post-harvy.

-Chimera

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/11237bbdudelookslikealady2-thumb.JPG]View Image[/url]
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1907825&postcount=57

1 ml per liter of water, sprayed 3 times, first time first day of flowering, second a week later, third a week later. Try not to spray all the leaves as it will kill them, just spray the areas where sexual traits will show.
Here is the male plant at just over 3 weeks flowering. It first started to make male flowers then they turned mostly female, over 90%.
I will see how good the flowers turn out.
-SamS
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=2672352&postcount=89

I will have to look I did not post the whole plant with all the leaf damage from the treatments because it looked ugly as hell. If I did it again I would do it as early as I can in the growing season, I would not spray any of the leaves just the sexual parts or where they will be. I would also spray once a week for at least 5 weeks maybe more for late flowering varieties. And I would use pollen from a different variety male to make the seeds instead of selfing with the same plant. But as I have said I am not sure if there is any reason to do this, other then I can. As for using the technique for judging the males contribution to a cross, this works easy, although, the flowers produced were wimpy, they were well frosted and the smells were all there, as well as type of high and strength. I hope people use this to help breed better plants and to help people reach their goals all that much faster. I also hope that people have male plants in the future to transform to female, males seem to be an albatross to most growers today, useless. What a shame I say.
-SamS
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=2963617&postcount=142

Has anyone actually pollinated a reversed male plant? I’m skeptical that it will produce viable seeds. It could, but I’ve never seen a documented case of it working.

Yes. Myself. Also many other people before, as you can see in those links above. They produce pretty viable seeds. You wouldn't be able to tell apart the plants from any other plant made by the traditional method with males and females.

Try it and convince yourself it is actually possible!

You will find this interesting:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1907825&postcount=57

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=2672352&postcount=89

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=2963617&postcount=142

Yes. Myself. Also many other people before, as you can see in those links above. They produce pretty viable seeds. You wouldn't be able to tell apart the plants from any other plant made by the traditional method with males and females.

Try it and convince yourself it is actually possible!

I’ll take your word for it. But none of those posts document anyone producing seeds and then germing them to determine viability.

At the very least, the YY seeds are very likely not viable. In practically all species with XY sex chromosomes, the presence of an X chromosome is necessary to remain viable. There are often many necessary genes for survival unrelated to sex determination found on the X chromosome.

Medfinder

Chemon 91

Thanks for link.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=99597

Fertile female flowers can be induced in male plants by ethephon (2-chloroethanephosphonic acid) and NIA 10637 (ethylhydrogen-l-propylphosphonate). Interestingly, stamens could be seen arising even from fruits. Stopping the application of growth regulators caused the plants to revert to their original sex. We hypothesized that in Cannabis, GA and ethylene act as male and female hormones respectively, and that the expression of sex is controlled by a balance between their endogenous levels. Abscisic acid (ABA) is able to overcome the GA induced male flower formation (Mohan Ram and Jaiswal 1973; Mohan Ram and Sett 1985).

Mohan Ram H Y and Sett R 1985 Cannabis sativa; in CRC
handbook of flowering (ed. Halevy A H) (Boca Raton: CRC
Press) Vol. II, pp 131–139

https://www.amazon.com/Monterey-MLG...pID=51o-2emV3JL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

17 bucks?

Medfinder

Chemon 91

Thanks for link.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=99597

Fertile female flowers can be induced in male plants by ethephon (2-chloroethanephosphonic acid) and NIA 10637 (ethylhydrogen-l-propylphosphonate). Interestingly, stamens could be seen arising even from fruits. Stopping the application of growth regulators caused the plants to revert to their original sex. We hypothesized that in Cannabis, GA and ethylene act as male and female hormones respectively, and that the expression of sex is controlled by a balance between their endogenous levels. Abscisic acid (ABA) is able to overcome the GA induced male flower formation (Mohan Ram and Jaiswal 1973; Mohan Ram and Sett 1985).

Mohan Ram H Y and Sett R 1985 Cannabis sativa; in CRC
handbook of flowering (ed. Halevy A H) (Boca Raton: CRC
Press) Vol. II, pp 131–139

amazon has the montery brand growth hormone

17 bucks?