What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

White Rhino x Pre98 Bubba Kush

Slab

Here are 3 White Rhino x Bubba Kush from seed ready to start the flowering cycle.

picture.php

picture.php

This first plant is a couple of weeks behind the other two but has these interesting double serations on the leaves.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

They are quite large plants and so far do not appear to resemble the Bubba Kush which i am happy about so far because as much as i love the Bubba Kush i really would like a White Rhino pheno from these seeds.

Verdant Green, is there any thing else you can tell us about your White Rhino clone? Is it from original Greenhouse stock and how does it yield. Does it stretch much during flower?

Many thanks for putting these seeds out. All the best to you.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi there slab, thanks for posting this up, i'm really interested to see more grows of this cross. i wish i'd kept cuts of the ones i test grew - i think this may be my best cross to date!

the WR cut i used in this cross is from North London and was gifted to my friend as a solid 'commercial' clone. Not sure which seedbank it came from but it smells quite cheesy in bud with some of the 'metallic' type smell i associate with the Rhino. That said, my organic growing style seems to accentuate the cheese in everything lol.
it doesnt stretch too much and has quite narrow leaves with a fairly upright growth habit. not got many pics but i found these
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=66966&pictureid=1655492
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=66966&pictureid=1661718
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=4557&pictureid=1390961

VG

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This should be a great cross. One of my favorite, all time flowers came from a White Rhino (Nirvana) x Sour Bubble Bx3. The cross was offered by "Brother Monk" and was actually made by IC user, Peat.

Excellent smoke. I recently made a list of seeds that were most important to me. It was really a small list. 6. The Sour Rhino made that list.

I honestly think that Bubba is in Sour Bubble. It's not a slam at BOG or even a criticism, it's just how I think things played out. Bubba is certainly different as a stand alone plant, and in terms of being a indica KUSH type plant, it really is one of the best clones available. So, I'd expect these seeds to be similar, if perhaps not BETTER, in a different sort of way. More resin. More earthy kush notes with fruity, metallic backend that ends up smelling kind of like gum.

I expect this seed line to really surprise people and put out some excellent plants. Moderate yields of frost covered kush coals that flatten you. White Rhino always had a delayed effect. You'd smoke it and not feel the effect for 5-10 minutes. That meant you always over smoked it and it'd leave you heavily stoned.

Good pairing of parents, VG. Going to be winners here. Nice work!
:respect:

@Slab - Plant #1 is looking excellent. I'd clone that one just in case. Might as well go ahead and call that one Rhino Kush. I'm waiting and watching. :lurk:

dank.Frank

Slab

@aquavitae Thanks, will definitely keep the thread updated.

@VerdantGreen I am very excited to be trying these seeds. The 3 plants are at 3 weeks into 12/12 now and looking good. I will get some pics up soon.
The more compact plant with the double serations on the leaves did not stretch much at all.
Another stretched a little and is looking similar to how your plants developed so far. The other plant has stretched like crazy and even after being topped early during veg has almost hit the roof of the tent.
They are easy to grow and very vigourous. I am enjoying them very much.

@dank.Frank I grew out some White Rhino seeds purchased from the Greenhouse coffeeshop in the late 90's along with Great White Shark. Very uniform short, stocky and compact plants with extreme resin production and a stone to match.
Seed packs of the same strains purchased 10 years later produced plants that were very different looking from the originals. The later packs having a sativa structure to all the plants and a wide range of phenotypes.

I have cloned all three of the plants. They rooted in 10 days and then took off almost straight away. Roots pouring out of the bottom of the pots.
Vigourous is a perfect description for these plants.
They also have enormous shade leaves that i have to tuck out of the way of the other strains that i have running along side.

Slab

The clones were showing roots at 10 days.
picture.php

The flowering plants are in 6 litres of coco hand watered under 600W HPS
Here they are at 21 days 12/12
Pics are taken just before the lights came on.

This is the shorter plant with the Double serations on the leaves. I did not stretch much at all.
picture.php

Here is the middle size plant. Stretch was like a typical indica type plant and this one appears to be getting ready to put on some good sizes buds and is producing resin already.
picture.php

Here is the tall bushy plant. It stretched a lot. The two main shoots really going for it. I may tie the two main stems over so they are not up in the hot air at the top of the tent and get a chance to develop better. This one looks to potentially to have a good yield. I think this particular plant would work well in a scrog set up
picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looking lovely and very promising! interesting that you got a wider variation in the plants than me. the resin production on all my plants was pretty amazing but your middle one looks even better.
VG

Slab

I needed to replace the carbon filter with a new one today so i had an opportunity to remove some of the plants from the tent and get a few pics of the White Rhino x Pre 98 Bubba Kush plants.

I needed to be as quick as possible so they are not the greatest pics.

Here they are at 31 days of 12/12

First up is the tall pheno.
picture.php

This close up is not very good but you get an idea how much resin this plant is putting out.
picture.php

Next up is the medium size pheno. Its packing on weight every day.
picture.php

picture.php

Slab

And here is the shorter pheno. this one is not as thirsty as the other two which just gulp down as much water as they can get.
picture.php

picture.php

They are beautiful plants Verdant Green. I think i need to get another pack of the seeds to keep a hold of for future.
I will be giving all three plants another run but i will have to narrow them down to one plant to keep as a mother because of space. I am sure that will be a difficult choice to make.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
they look amazing, and very happy too. Nice tie down job on the tall one!

the medium one has really nice leaves, and yeah the resin is pretty insane for 31 days.

you may be glad you have a new carbon filter too, there plants were pretty stinky when i grew them. not only the cheese terpenes but the bubba funk seems to get amplified in this cross and it takes on a fuelly, solvent edge.

thanks

VG

Slab

Here they are at 49 days of 12/12
I have started to flush them from today and i may take them to 9 weeks for maximum potency. Certainly the medium sized pheno which seems to need a little longer than the other 2 to finish.

First up is the medium pheno.
picture.php

Next is the tall pheno which has become my favourite so far.
picture.php

And here is the shorter pheno.
picture.php

Slab

I took the short one out today as it is near the tent opening.
I did not keep it out for long but a rub of the resin smells to me like Bubba Kush and the red seal black hash that was around the uk in the mid 80's
picture.php

The other two plants are at the back of the tent so its difficult to reach them and they are sharing the space with a few other strains so the smell is all mixed up in there with the fans going.

Here is a closer pic of the medium size plant.
picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey slab remember that red seal (and occasionally gold seal) - for me probably more from the late 80's ... some of the big blocks has 'camel challenge' stamped on them in gold leaf. love that smell....

you still in the UK? i wonder if you might be up for doing a test grow for me of one or more of the lines i've got (hopefully) in the making atm?

VG

Slab

Hi VG,
Yes i am living in UK. I only have a small set up and i like to run 3 or 4 different types at once to keep my stash varied. I usually have a couple of different sativa type and a couple of different indica type running at the same time.
Its important that i get a decent to good yield from each run so i wouldn't for example run a tent of only straight Bubba Kush.
I tend to do only 3 sometimes 4 runs a year depending on the weather/heat and personal commitments.
Its better to discuss anything relating to that in pm i think though.

Out of interest, and i am sure other peoples interest also, what are you working on right now or have in the pipeline?

I harvested all three plants at 65 days 12/12
Its a great cross the White Rhino x Pre98 Bubba Kush, so much so that even though i have not tried the finished product yet i have secured myself some more packs for future use.

Here is the short pheno.
Upon harvest i noticed some new pistil growth as i was removing the large fan leaves and figured this plant might go 10 weeks to fully mature.
The other two plants in contrast were fully ready at 9 weeks though one started pushing out some new pistills on the crown in the last 5 days.
I will give the short pheno one more run and feed it a lot less and let it go to 10 weeks to see how it does.
In my past experience i found that a plant like this short Bubba leaner benefits from less feedings and they generally produce more yield and resin as a result.
It will have to be exceptional this plant though as i much prefer the other two plants i got so far so this one is going to have to fight to not be the first to be culled.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Smells of Bubba Kush and Afghan and Pakistan hash.
Smallest yielding of the three plants and prefers a lot less feedings and waterings than the other two plants though this first round they all got the same nutrient strength but i did water this plant less times during the cycle.
The other two plants are big yielders and very impressive all round, to me at least.
All three smell of Bubba Kush in varying degrees. I am not sure about any "cheese" smells as i have never come across a genuine certified sample of it.
I was smoking skunk 1 in Amsterdam from 89 and i grew out Sensi Seeds mid 90's as well as skunk seeds from Sunlight Systems back then and though i think i am familiar with skunk from back
then i never associated any cheese type smells with them.
I do believe the sense of smell is subjective.
I have grew out a number of cheese hybrids from various companys and they all reminded me of the Afghan/Skunk from Positronics from the mid 90's regarding their scents.
I was passed a plant once that was supposed to be the Cheese clone but to me it smelled more of ripe/rotting fruit than anything else and nothing like the paranoia inducing stench produced by the skunks that i first sampled and grew out.
One thing i have noticed about the White Rhino x Pre98 Bubba Kush is none of the plants had floppy branches which is something i look for now in a strain as those plants with the thin viney floppy growth are something that i no longer like growing.

I will get the pics of the other two plants up early next week.

Slab

All three plants were flushed for 2 weeks before harvest but the tent was kept warm during the dark period so i did not get any plants showing any Autumn colours this round.

Here is the mid height plant.
This plant is a big yielder and i would say leans towards the White Rhino. I think this particular plant would produce 500-600g under a 600w HPS quite easily. The main cola here is 15 inches long and 3 and a half inches wide at the top. the buds are solid and the smell is a strong and sweet end of the Bubba Kush scents.
If a bubblegum was based on the Bubba Kush smell this is how it would smell. There are no hash scents on this plant, it is all sweet candy.

It started throwing some new pistils on the crown right at the end but i put that down to the warm dark period i had the tent set up for. Everything below the very top of the cola had no new growth at all.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Slab

Here is the tall stretchy plant, this one is my favourite.

The stems on this one are not floppy at all even though it has a big stretch during early flower. When i pulled the two main shoots down a couple of weeks into flower to control the height they did not crease at all instead simply acting like a bow as i pulled them down to even the canopy.
The yield on this one is big too being covered top to bottom in hard resin encrusted nuggets.
The plant reminds me of the growth pattern on these 'OG Kush' type hybrids that are available in seed form. It even exhibits the 3 bladed leaves from very early during flower. The big difference being the total lack of floppy stems and the large yield.
This pheno is perfect for a scrog and grows so quickly it would fill the screen in double quick time. It required watering much more than the other 2 plants also.

The smell on this one is Bubba Kush but it is the mildest of the 3 plants and there is no sweetness at all to it. The main component of the smell on this one i can only describe as piss.
Upon returning to the room after harvesting it i was met with that pissy smell that was common in a lot of early Dutch seedbank strains that i grew out before everything went sweet and generic.
Its not cat piss like you used to find in Super Silver Haze and Kali Mist, its more like walking into a room where someone has pissed the bed.
I really like this plant.
One thing i noted about this particular one is it was the slowest to take root of the 3 and the slowest to take off once rooted.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wow slab, fantastic report and great to see that you got 3 distinct phenos all of which look pretty amazing and well grown i must say! and yeah the tall plant does look very og-like!

i think you are spot on when you say you will use less N next time... not that these looked particularly over-fed, but i imagine they would finish more definitively and stop producing pistils rather than 'not quite' stopping like 2 of them did. possibly they would yellow a bit more too.
the bubba itself can tolerate quite high N, but imo it is better grown in a lighter soil as the smoke quality is even better that way.
interesting that you didnt detect much in the way of 'cheesey' smells, but like you say these things are subjective and i think my soil mix always brings out the cheesey smells in anything that is capable. the white rhino cut didnt smell cheesey at all when i tried a sample from the guy who gifted it to me, but did smell quite cheesey (parmisan) when i grew it out lol.
thanks again for the great documentation of the grow, it would be cool to hear how they smoke too
VG