What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic grow vs. commercial soil

S

scai

This is diary done cause people want to know if organic growing will give you benefit over commercial products.
I'm all fascinated about organics, but others are doubtfull. So.

I took 12.2.2013 two cuts from my Sour Lemon OG bonsai.

Number 1 goes (after dipping to Clonex) to Biolan's Black soil (commercial produsct) and
Number 2 goes to my own mix.
Black soil, peat, spaghnum moss, ash, lecagravel, chicken poo, bat poo.
Some Terra Preta (later). And compost

N1 doesn't get any fungus later on, but N2 will, once I see some roots

N1 will get Fox farm fertilizer, probably, if i don't by some substral or kekkilä's fertilizer, cause Fox farm's are also organic fertilizers.Well, I''ll decide that later on...

N2 will fet fungus, bokashi & alfalfa juices, homemade EM too.

Now both are in growing tent.In rooting hoods, it's and another plastic cup put on top of the other, to keep interior moist and buyoant.
One 150 W natrium light.
They have been watered once and clock starts ticking...
:grouphug:

S

scai

picture.php

Organics on left, plain black soil right

picture.php

About the same size,

S

scai

Okay, time for transplant.

The one in commercial soil, looks a bit perkier, had few more roots than organic.
They both have now bigger pots, and organic one had some fungae, alfalfa and diotomaceus earth.
The one in commercial soil had plain water, but more fresh soil.
Taking pictures tomorrow.

Must say, that they both rooted very well, no yellow leaves or wilt at all.
And it's been 18 days from cutting...

S

scai

Three weeks now, I lost my camera temporarily, but regained it now.
Need to take some pics.
No fertilizer for either of them.Just plain water for both.Same amount of light.
But there is a suprise coming.
You'll see when I get them pictures here...

C

Cep

A few more individuals in each treatment would do you good from a statistical standpoint. You're probably pretty limited with plant number like most, including myself.

A note with the fungus you're adding (assuming its mycorrhizal):
-Plants tend to recruit fungal help with nutrients when soil levels are low
-Mycorrhizae are most useful for their help with P uptake

If you're going to see an added benefit from that fungus I would keep the fertilizer treatments super low. Even 1/10th of normal amounts. In low nutrient levels that organic plant with probably outperform those without fungus.