What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Prices in Maine

sith44

I sure as fuck don't want to smoke weed that's $100-$150 per ounce. You cant grow top shelf weed and tend to it properly with organic nutrients for that price.. unless your crazy. Good weed takes time, money and caring.

Tokin_Jo

We can and we do grow top shelf. No one I mean no one who has had our weed has EVER said they have had better. ECSD/ chemdog/ most strains we have were selected from more than three packs of beans by ourselves and other growers. Some of these people had been dealers all their lives. We are not greedy as some of you. We can keep our overhead under $10000/month and still charge $150/ounce easily. Looking at a 2500sft canopy in a heated greenhouse which will easily yield $60/square ft. That comes to $150k a run... Two of our kids just got their cards, and one is now taking patients that We have to refuse. They will apply for a store front license to sell when maine legalizes. We could sell it for less than a $100/ounce if we felt the need. Its not about YOU greedy little people!!!!

sith44

Somehow I don't believe you. You make it sound so easy to us "little people." And you're just going to get a storefront too? Must be sooo easy. Sounds like to me you have no idea what the reality of things are, or how to do them.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Tokin Jo

there is a defect in your reasoning and I will explain. I agree people deserve access to reasonable medications that is why people should be able grow their own for free.

Price should be relative to legality and in a healthy model you would think that the scalability would offset costs but this is too idealistic since there is no accounting in this model for government.

There is why the government prefers recreational to medical. Medicine is not be taxed the same way recreational items (beer tobacco). People should be free to grow for themselves and others and use it medicinally as they do aspirin(over the counter no script). slight difference in paradigm big difference in effect on market.

the faster you seek to lower margins the quicker people will lower quality to compete thus lowering the bar across the board and the model of legalization you favor will do the same thing as the cost to the patient is burdened further.

But what I really dislike however is that your trying to polarize a community that need not be. your forcing competition when its not necessary, your being grandiose if you think 2500 sq ft will change the market anyway.

if you are truly doing what you believe is right by your patients why do other growers have to be part of the equation? they don't unless your looking to compete versus simply be.

very "babylon" if you ask me

another defective aspect is this

not everyone who needs it is in a position to pay at all, some people will never be functional

in a model were everything is cheap as possible and only a few profit (wall mart) there is no charity to be had because the "excess" of the employee who used to be in a position to give no longer can

here were legality is not a reality some of us have worked this way all along

im willing to bet you would help more people if you charge 10% to those who could give and gave it for free to those who have nothing

Last edited:
Well said!! Weird, I truly don't think you have a clue Tokin. And I believe that legalization is going to make prices go up as seen in the states it has already been legalized in. Another aspect if you have employees then your talk'n big $$$ Comp, taxes, insur, so many expenses I don't think you really no how it works.:2cents: But good luck! There will be so many hoops to jump threw to get a store just like a liquor license.

sith44

Pophamseasmoke I agree with you 100% you too Weird: Yep...you're going to need insurance, workers comp insurance, health codes, fire department codes, agricultural cards, attorneys to start your LLC, accountants, labor costs...and did you know that you have to pay taxes for each and every employee you have above and beyond their normal wage? Plus: Retail Licenses, and whatever license you're going to need to retail sale the MMJ in the first place....then you have your monthly fixed expenses: Electricity, municipal water, rent /lease/ or mortage and that entails CAM charges for things like handyman work and snow removal (maine) etc....good luck with that selling your "high quality" weed at those prices and meeting your overheads. You'll be out of business in a short time or your business model will be....one or the other. I grow strictly for medical use and the buddy I grow with is medical( cancer in his tonsils) and I supply to 3 other terminally ill patients and It's my job is to grow the best, most organically potent pain killing weed known to man....and I would be lucky to make a dime off of $200 per ounce...and constantly ask myself if it's even worth it to grow it other than the fact I know its the safest and best medicine I can get my hands on. I use Biobizz and Bioheaven ain't cheap...especially if you use all the nutes right. Plus the effort it takes to remove the chlorine from the water to feed the plants...sheesh!

Last edited:

idiit

Veteran
playing ball the system way will be expensive. product grown within the system and distributed within the system will have to reflect the high $cost of doing so.

i got no clue as to how it will work out. me thinks a lot of od product will be grown and distributed thru the grey market.

grey/black markets exist everywhere in the world. the higher the cost of doing biz within the system the more ppl go outside the system.

we are all definitely keeping a close eye on how things work themselves out. all it takes is a few strategically placed geographic areas to not comply for the grey area to thrive; product, customers.

Tokin_Jo

Read the new proposed bill then come back and reply if you want. I'm vastly underestimating yields.....I'm out, they dont want me giving up any info. I can say legal weed will be entering the free market soon enough. Keep on keeping those prices up there!

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I'm vastly underestimating yields..

and the costs that go along with them

I have been involved in the market for many decades and there has always been some region putting out better pot for a lower price

it has never been a threat ever

WHY?

because no grower I have ever met can produce 250 ( assuming 1.5 ounces per 2500 square foot) pounds of pot in one grow themselves and have it come out the same way they can 8 even 16 pounds of (100 - 200 sq ft or 4-8 1000 watts lights with a 5x5 foot print assuming close to 1.5 ounces)

once you increase your yields there is a law of declining returns in efforts unless you increase capital expense and employee costs to offset and on the books that starts getting very costly

if you think genes alone make every thing equal i would question your judgement when it comes top top shelf

Tokin_Jo

With 72 medical plants we only work about 15hrs a week max. With legal grow it would be somewhere between 100-120 plants.
30x120ft building with 18ft eaves. Polycarbonate year round greenhouse on top. Heated from below veg area and already heated garage. We helped build another caregiver couple's garage climate controlled greenhouse, co2 gen and monitors. Theirs was 20ft x 30ft with 12ft eaves and attached to their main house, entrance is upstairs bedroom. They have been growing for a year with no complaints from a few of their patients we know. They are getting 10 zips a plant but they are getting better. With 12 plants they easily get 100 oz a run which they claim is enough.

1lb per plant is easily obtainable in a 5x5 area which is 25 sqft. Scrog it maybe 2lbs. $1600/lb would equal over $60 square ft. 15yrs of 50 -500 plant grows you'd think we'd have it down by now. 2500 sqft = $150k run. We would be applying for tier 3 of course.

You must be using atleast 50% of canopy space, if not a reduction in canopy may occur. This was only a legislative proposal.

A. Categories. There are three categories as follows:
A. Tier 1 – Less than one thousand (1,000) square feet

B. Tier 2 – One thousand and one square (1,001) feet and above up to two thousand five hundred (2,500) square feet

C. Tier 3 – Three thousand and one (3,001) square feet and above up to seven thousand and five hundred (7,500) square feet

D. Tier 4 – Seven thousand and one (7,5001) square feet and above up to ten
thousand square feet.

B. Number of Licenses Issued. The bureau is authorized to license a minimum of the
number of the following licenses, and may adjust the allocation if it deems more square
footage is needed statewide:
A. Tier 1 – One-hundred (100); and
B. Tier 2 – Sixty (50); and
C. Tier 3 – Six (6); and
D. Tier 4 – Three (3).

Tokin_Jo

:bow: to what :laughing: said.. Respect and appreciation. I give I give and I give...

In reality I was starting to fear being replaced by someone in a white lab coat employed by big pharma or whatever.
But now I want to think.. You can't replace what I do. Because it's my passion woven into every bit of who I am like it or not thick and thin I believe cannabis has chosen me.
So instead of tucking my tail I'm stepping up and owning the moment and living there as well. We will see where it all ends up in the long run. In the mean time just do the very best we can. Power to the people!!

Love and be loved
The lab coat fear is very real, along with the monsato weed, or "franken weed" we could see big pharma trying to impose on us. Quality always meant the most to us and is what we've been about from the beginning and has separated us from the rest. We used to get that $4k a pound as well and that was to dealers who got $5k or more for it in other states. In 2010 those days ended. We engaged more of our compassionate side. It just not about the money anymore for us.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
The lab coat fear is very real, along with the monsato weed, or "franken weed" we could see big pharma trying to impose on us. Quality always meant the most to us and is what we've been about from the beginning and has separated us from the rest. We used to get that $4k a pound as well and that was to dealers who got $5k or more for it in other states. In 2010 those days ended. We engaged more of our compassionate side. It just not about the money anymore for us.

well maybe that is the problem

for you its was about the money and because you were you simply about the money you see everyone else the same way

In my neck of the woods there are far better risk to reward ratios to be found in illicit markets than growing and most growers I know do so out of a passion and a desire for good weed, and for some people the money is simply a consequence of succeeding in that goal

people who see the small time grower as greedy really dont understand the concept as it exists here in America

Pangea

Veteran
You got er down tokin jo.

You could sell for much less than $100/z and still make a nice living, correct?

Tokin_Jo

You got er down tokin jo.

You could sell for much less than $100/z and still make a nice living, correct?

One of our friends called me from colorado and wanted to use us as a reference for a dispensory he had applied at. He's learned alot for us to say the least. Our question last x-mas was; "What is their bottom dollar they need to make to keep the doors open?" Last week he emails $60/ounce. This is based on a 10,000 sqft canopy. We know we could keep the doors open now at $100/oz but just barely because of electrical costs. The greenhouse will cure that. A possible plan is to charge our patients $100/oz if caregivers are ever given an unlimited patient count, then charge $150/zip in the legal market. Its going to be an open market. There will be no cottage industry but what we're hearing from our sources their wont be the "corporate giants" like the tomato gardens in madison either.

Our patients are Electricians, plumbers, finish carpenters, an engineer, a truck driver, mill wrights, ect... Even a relative of a legislator*.

Pangea

Veteran
One of our friends called me from colorado and wanted to use us as a reference for a dispensory he had applied at. He's learned alot for us to say the least. Our question last x-mas was; "What is their bottom dollar they need to make to keep the doors open?" Last week he emails $60/ounce. This is based on a 10,000 sqft canopy. We know we could keep the doors open now at $100/oz but just barely because of electrical costs. The greenhouse will cure that. A possible plan is to charge our patients $100/oz if caregivers are ever given an unlimited patient count, then charge $150/zip in the legal market. Its going to be an open market. There will be no cottage industry but what we're hearing from our sources their wont be the "corporate giants" like the tomato gardens in madison either.

Our patients are Electricians, plumbers, finish carpenters, an engineer, a truck driver, mill wrights, ect... Even a relative of a legislator*.

Up north in Canada our medical system is changing from personal production to commercial licenses. The gov is not limiting the number of licenses issues, nor are there limits on patient numbers, plant numbers etc. There are many big and smaller players trying to get in on it.

I will be charging a base price of $2/gram taxes and shipping included, which will cover all costs and allow for expansion.

A common flawed argument is that a producer can provide meds for a few "legit" sick folk at no or little cost while charging the "rec" user normal black market type prices to make up the difference. Why not just make a living wage and have a fair price for all? I know many who are extremely ill or sick or disabled that are not able to access the medical programs due to docs not endorsing their use. I dont know of any rec user that has access and uses medical grade ganja that isn't healthier and gaining medicinal benefit, preventative use is key.

There are millions of folks chomping at the bit to grow cannabis, large and small, if you are not prepared for prices lower than $100/oz you going to have a bad time...

Tokin_Jo

Here's is a topic that one of you interestingly enough started about colorado prices.

24-28 is a fair price for indoor. curious to see what the quality looks like you got any pics?
Interesting opinions everywhere, lets atleast be consistant in general.

Avg. Dispense zip is about $150.
Street is between $100-150 a zip.
Quality Indoor lb for $2000-2400.
This is what things are right now in my circle.

LOL you both are dreaming. But good luck no where in canada or the us are they paying 100 an oz. And as see on many forums including this Canada has been shifting to big growers for the last 2 years and taking away the little guys rights. You see so many journals talk'n about the Canadian gov. Doesn't want people growing there own. And look at the prices in Colorado there only going up it's simple supply and demand not greed. Overhead, Employees are all reality's but when it is totally legal there's going to be a gap between the available supply and the demand. But we are still a few years away from legalization anyway. We are closer then we have ever been though and that's a good thing!!