What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MH vs HPS in bloom

the gnome

Veteran
ok... finally i cut everything except the secret recipe that got me started on this subject.

here's a full view pic, Mh on the right and HPS on the left.
Ive had to tie them up repeatedly but both are sagging quite a bit and they are closer together now so it will fit in the shot.
you can see the green plant stake, thats the middle, since re-tying for the pics some of the Mh is more towards the hps side but basically the Mh buds are the more upright to the right of the stake.
picture.php

this is the HPS side.
one thing i noticed tying it up for the pics is that the Mh side stem are much stronger.
where as the HPS branches bend over the Mh side twists more at the joint going into the main stalk then sags
picture.php

and here is the Mh side of the plant.
I retied for these pics, but the plant was separated a lot more with each side stretching far over to its side
picture.php

more Mh buds
picture.php

and this is about the largest bud on the HPS side.
quite a difference!
picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Gnome, I dont believe having a plant half under HPS, and MH is really going to give you any results that you can bank on. You really need a group of clones under HPS, and one under MH with no overlapping of the light between them.

For all we know, the MH buds are the dominant buds to begin with and will be larger regardless of what type of light is used. Ive got a NL lady that has 4 or 5 equal height tops under MH, but one is clearly almost 2x the size of the others. That's apical dominance for you. It could be the same thing in your case too.

I myself have a group of 4 CLS NL under MH, and 5 more under HPS. They're 44 days into flowering, and the only difference Ive seen so far is that the MH plants have stayed greener for longer, and healthier looking, but I was light bleaching some of the plants with the HPS at first. Now that, that is sorted out, both sides look great and healthy again.

Of course they're all seed plants, so I can't pull too many conclusions from what may come. Ill still report back any interesting info on my results when I finish.

the gnome

Veteran
intresting and unexpected results

intresting and unexpected results

and 2 more pics,

Mh
picture.php

and HPS
picture.php

what Ive seen from this is side X side on the same plant is;
#1 Mh had much bigger buds, HPS much smaller

#2 Mh had way denser buds, HPS less dense

#3 Mh side stems were much stronger, hps less. silica was use in this grow.

#4 the HPS looked like it had more leaf but I think this is due to the smaller sized buds where as the MH buds calyx's were much more swollen thus seeming to have less leaf

#5 the Mh side foilage was greener and the HPS side leaves yellowed faster after nutes were discontinued.

#6 resin seems to be about the same with the Mh side looking as though it had more but as in #4 the calyx's are more swollen.

#5 the Mh side seemed to have *more stretch* over the HPS side but it also filled in better than the HPS side

I'll be cutting this tomorrow or sat when whats been cut is trimmed.
I'll hang the separate sides and you can get a good comparison and when its off the stem we'll get yet another look at whats what and a weight for each side.

this has been a very interesting comparison and things I didn't expect happened.

the gnome

Veteran
Gnome, I dont believe having a plant half under HPS, and MH is really going to give you any results that you can bank on. You really need a group of clones under HPS, and one under MH with no overlapping of the light between them.

For all we know, the MH buds are the dominant buds to begin with and will be larger regardless of what type of light is used. Ive got a NL lady that has 4 or 5 equal height tops under MH, but one is clearly almost 2x the size of the others. That's apical dominance for you. It could be the same thing in your case too.

I myself have a group of 4 CLS NL under MH, and 5 more under HPS. They're 44 days into flowering, and the only difference Ive seen so far is that the MH plants have stayed greener for longer, and healthier looking, but I was light bleaching some of the plants with the HPS at first. Now that, that is sorted out, both sides look great and healthy again.

Of course they're all seed plants, so I can't pull too many conclusions from what may come. Ill still report back any interesting info on my results when I finish.

I agree, the results I see from this one plant are not definitive proof
BUt results give a lot of weight to ponder on Mh vs HPS

this plant was much taller and level with the sides of the bulbs
the other plants were below the cooltubes and were definitely getting a mixture of both.
to get the pics I had to push the 2 side together.
they were separated quite a bit and really only received minimal light from the other side at best
and even the buds at the far edges is safe to say received *only* that light from its corresponding bulb.
its such a nite and day difference it lends a lot of weight to Mh being a better way to go
at least for this strain.

again I agree what I'm seeing isn't definitive proof,
But am impressed with the results.
and given the results Ive seen from vaped13 and other info that's been posted lends i[] very strong weight[/i] to my thinking that Mh may be a better way to go for me.
definitely worth investigating further.
and hopefully others will also start to tinker around
with their own Mh grows

Last edited:

eyes

Veteran
what ive noticed is that some mh plants put out more resin but also less weight in some instances. the results are not always concrete though cause ive had nebula put out 70-75 grams with hps or mh. i do think genetics factor in. i think blending the bulbs is a good thing and certainly cant hurt. if you can get acess to full spectrum hps bulbs then by all means use em. Theres no right or wrong way- both bulbs will grow great mj.

SmokeTrees

"Hey bud, lets party!"
Veteran
ive noticed some strains do better on MH than others. and some strains REALLY dont like the MH. Some strains like a mix of two. Its hard to have definitive results, cause i have in my opinion for sure seen different strains react differently to the different spectrum's

the gnome

Veteran
what ive noticed is that some mh plants put out more resin but also less weight in some instances. the results are not always concrete though cause ive had nebula put out 70-75 grams with hps or mh. i do think genetics factor in. i think blending the bulbs is a good thing and certainly cant hurt. if you can get acess to full spectrum hps bulbs then by all means use em. Theres no right or wrong way- both bulbs will grow great mj.

agreed eyes
genetics imo are the biggest factor on how a plant plays out.
another thing to note is under the HPS i had 2 pheno's of KQK, one phenos was lite and airy smaller buds
and the other fat and dense.
same strain, differing pheno's. but in the last grow with them receiving lite from both MH and HPS they were both big hard dense buds producers.
my grand doggy purps under the hps made nice dense buds.

_Ina_

Veteran
hallo! that thread was so interesting to me! i saw u guys know how to do the things:)I usually use the cheapest bulbs i can find-industrial HPS and the cheapest MH, both-400w.the ballast is the cheapest model too:) last grow i try to leave MH a little bit longer,about 3 weeks in flower,than change to HPS. but for every case when i use MH i use 2 warm CFL-48w each to have little bit more red. when i change to HPS i use again 2 CFL but this time blue-60w. and now i see i can even leave the MH with the two CFL all the time:)I think in most of the cases the mixed light is the best but i,m still trying. This time i,m gonna spend some money for one grow bulb to see the difference:)

Attachments

• IMG_5812.jpg
    IMG_5812.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5818.jpg
    IMG_5818.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5819.jpg
    IMG_5819.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 33
A

Alone

Heres the deal and nothing but the deal........
Hps from sprout to 1 week old. (builds good root system)
Hps/Mh mix for 3 weeks veg. (builds strong stalks/branches and strong,thick roots)
Hps for flowering all the way through until last 2 weeks. (builds big buds)
Mh for last 2 weeks. (builds a very thick trichome covering)

Of course this is just my opinion. Styles and results differ from strain to strain- grower to grower.

Grizz

Veteran
i would say the test is legit, the defferance is clear, doubt very seriously if one side of the plant was weaker than the other, i would say its better test this way than a bunch of cuts off the same mom, we all know some cuts are stronger than others. i havent flowered under halide in over 20 years but damn sure going to try it again in my vert .. good job gnome

the gnome

Veteran
i would say the test is legit, the defferance is clear, doubt very seriously if one side of the plant was weaker than the other, i would say its better test this way than a bunch of cuts off the same mom, we all know some cuts are stronger than others. i havent flowered under halide in over 20 years but damn sure going to try it again in my vert .. good job gnome

your line of thinking is consistent with mine josey :smoke:
its not a 100% scientific controlled experiement but the way it went down and what I'm seeing is good enough for me to start getting ready for an all Mh grow in the near future.
toss in vaped 13s and doc shio's posts and its pretty damning evidence as the judge would say.

here's the plant chopped
Mh buds were
bigger
denser
and way stickier on the trim

when completely dries I'll post weights and do a few blind smoke testing with a few old timer heads

HPS
picture.php

Mh
picture.php

buttyrekka

great thread.fantastic garden vapedg13.
i think the results speak for themselves,its good to see the advancements in MH over the years.they must have changed somewhat since marijuana bottany was written.
if i had the room it seems 1 HPS and 1 MH would be perfect.
i understand the hesitancy to try something new but everyone gets stuck in there ways,sometimes you just gotta take them blinkers off.
great plants gnome all the best:tiphat:

the gnome

Veteran
thanks butty

ive been doing the indoor gig for two years, grew outside in the 70s--80s.

I know what you mean,
that's most peeps mindset
being new once you get a good harvest with killer buds and weight(in your opinion) you don't want to change
A THING...NADDA!
except add more of whatever you think may help get a better harvest.

I was using cheapo $30 HPS bulbs, went and bought 2 of those $125per horti eyes and had absolutely zero difference.
if the plants were happy happy then they were happy happy with the $30 bulb.
same with fertz, Ive used FF with the 3 finishers,
Ive also flora nova
now i'm using GH bloom and micro, pretty cheap/affordable stuff and following the 69 rezapie and I'm killin it.
all these fertz work very good, decided to save some money and use the GH micro+bloom and the Koolbloom finisher.

look at vape13, he's using $22 Mh bulbs and knocking it out of the ball park!
Ive came to realize a while back its the genectics,
that's the biggest factor involved with how a plant performs.
from there you can tweak with fertz and lights imo
BUT
this is the 1st nite and day results tweak Ive run across since I started doing the indoor gig
as butty said, sometimes you need to take the blinders off, break away from your set routine and change it up

weights incoming later ta'day :smoke:

Last edited:

the gnome

Veteran
ok... thee final tally in

total take, both sides combined is................................................. 162g :greenstars:

HPS side is 61.3
AND
Mh side is----drum roll plzz------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> 101.6
oh yah:party: oh yah

ok, not sure of the math but it looks like I got around 40% more using Mh or 40% less using HPS
depending how you want to view it with this strain.

which for me is not to shabby considering the plant was never topped until put into bloom in fact she was put on the back burner so to say in veg, had I topped/trained this one
its safe to say i could have gotten more, a lot more... possibly up to twice that amount

daheadies had 3 of these and his weights were 250g 250g and 320g
were talking 1/2lb-3/4lb plants

pheno 1 yielded 320g, pheno 2 yielded 250g, pheno 3 yielded 250g. Was vegged 12 weeks. Thanks everyone for the complements.
note: daheadies used HPS in his bloom I think, you'll have to check out his SR thread in the CSG forums, its in the 1st 4 pages somewhere

Last edited:

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks butty

ive been doing the indoor gig for two years, grew outside in the 70s--80s.

I know what you mean,
that's most peeps mindset
once you get a good harvest with killer buds and weight you don't want to change
A THING!
except add more of whatever you think may help get a better harvest.
I was using cheapo $30 HPS bulbs, went and bought 2 of those $125per horti eyes and had absolutely zero difference.
same with fertz, i'm doing GH bloom and micro, pretty cheap/affordable stuff and using
the 69 rezapie and i;m smoking it.

look at vape13, he's using $22 Mh bulbs and knocking it out of the ball park!
Ive come to realize a while back its the genectics,
that's the biggest factor involved with how a plant performs.
from there you can tweak with fertz and lights imo
BUT
this is the 1st nite and day results tweak Ive run across since I started doing the indoor gig
as butty said, sometimes you need to take the blinders off, break away from your set routine and change it up
weights coming later ta'day :smoke:

Ya dude I have been growing indoor a long ass time and still use GH products with a few aditives. However I am thinking of switching to aptus. It is more expensive, but from the side by sides I have seen it beats everything. totally legit.

the gnome

Veteran
yo zep!
aptus seems to be the real dea,l doesn't it!
Ive been scoping jacks thread for a few months now, haven't in the last dfew weeks
but I plan on giving it a try down the road when the new bloom room goes online.

very few things out there make a difference like that, mmmmm like Mh and my secret recipe LOL
of course jack has those *sealed* rooms enviroment dialed in to a T.
that makes a difference right there in its self.
now that I'm starting to see others getting the same results with the aptus line up its looking better on this end :smoke: