What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2012 Outdoor, NE

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Hey guys,

Like many of you guys, the preparations have started for the 2012 outdoor season.

I have a 50+ acres private property available where I plan to put around 30 plants and hopefully end up with 10-15 females. The soil there is native and never touched. There is a lake near by that will be used for water.

The strains are:
Neville's Haze x Coast Collisional
Hybrids from Hell Deep Passion
Devil's Seeds Atlantic Diesel
Ace Seeds Erdpurt
and a few more that I can remember the name right now.

I got 3 10gal worm bins composting some EWC for the great outdoors.

The plants will go on native soil. Holes will be dug, proximate 4'x4'x20" deep and mixed with:

30% peat moss, 30% EWC, 30% perlite
Ammended with:
Greensand, dolomite, alfafa meal, guanos, gypsum, powdered oyster shell, some biotone starter plus, azomite, cottonseed meal, rock phosphate
and mix that 50/50 with native soil!

Will also try to get some nice mulch around the plants also.

Trying to stay away from bone meal/blood meal because of animals.

Plants will be started on the beggining of April indoors and moved outdoors by the end of the month. Plants will be caged in for the 1st few months to avoid animals digging in.

Plants will be finishing by the beginning of September till the end of October.

The goal is to end with 15+ lbs of top notch organic smoke.

Suggestions are more than welcome!

Cheers!

Last edited:

Phantomx

You are going to dig 3 feet deep? In my opinion everythig deeper than 20 inches is a waste of time and soil, because roots don't grow deeper than this (lack of oxygen). I don't dig ever deeper than 16 inches and make a good mulch on top. You won't regret it.

Good luck for your grow.

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Hey Phantomx,

Thanks for the suggestion bro... I actually wasn't too sure about the depth of the holes, was gonna need a bit of research to know for sure. I remember reading somewhere that its better to make the wholes wider than deep. I just wasn't too sure how deep it was optimal! But I guess you saved me some time. Will take that into consideration for sure!

Thanks man!

Any other suggestions are more than welcome!

i did a outdoor grow in NE last summer. the forest soil there is nice. good to mix with your soil blend. Blood meal will help keep the deer away. Or a good fence. Deer repelant. i only had trouble w/ rodents looking for goodies on one plant in particular.maybe just throw blood meal around the area.Deer have gotten me in the past til i got wiser to it. I used subcools soil mix and gave them teas once a week. Also used smart bags buried a few inches in. Saved me lots of labor. the roots ended up growing through the bags. i think if i had mixed my soil w/ the native and put in that labor my garden could have been even bigger.The hazes hybrids u have might not have enough time to fully mature in NE. I lean towards indicas up there.my biggest issue in NE was the rain, fighting off bud mold. start your seeds now so u can sex them.produce clones so your only putting out females. You can plant from mid april to august. organicide and neem. foliar feeds till budding began all kept the bugs away for me.also i used fake flowers cause they flew copters all over. at least were i was. hope that helps u out with your preperations.

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
This should be a good one. Way to go with thinking ahead and doing the worm bins.

Good call on the blood/bone meal near plants. I love guanos and EWC for outdoor, but always have stayed away from blood and bone meal outdoors.

That looks like a nice rich soil mix. That combined with all the natural goodies in the native soil should do wonders.

Any ideas what you'll be mulching with?

Don't forget about slug barriers. Not sure if you deal with them or not. When putting a lot of faith in a few plants, consider using both copper tape loosely around the stems, the taller the better, and a lime barrier around the plants if visibility is not an issue early on. I have found a 4-6" ring of dolomite lime powder will deter any slugs from getting to your plants and doesn't disappear with rain or poison anything like slug bait.

It can be nice to build in supports if planning for large plants, especially for that haze cross. the wire fencing with 6" gaps is great for training and supporting larger plants. Another option is bamboo trellising and/or netting.

There's a thread on here 'growing large plants outdoors'. Tom Hill is in on the discussion and there are some great tips.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=159846

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Hey guys, thanks for the comments!

I was gonna do the lime barrier for the slugs, used in the past with great success!

I also got a bunch of bamboo steaks that most likely will be used with some velcro.

For the mulch I'll probably will be use old forest bark mulch, prolly buy a bag or two of it to use it. Or maybe just walk around and grab a bunch of dead leaves/pieces of wood around the spot I'll be using. Any suggestions are welcome!

The haze hybrid I'll be using I heard its pretty mold resistant, should be ready by end of October. Hopefully the mold will stay away.

I got some neem oil that will be used as foliar before flower begins!

Thanks once again! I'll keep you guys updated on how things work out for sure!

Tyga

Veteran
Fellow NE grower over here... Going to be following this one for sure! Best of luck brotha.

slugs i forgot about them. i got some epsoma natural slug killer that seemed to work well as long as u replace it after rain. 3/4 full beer cans works well too. also recommend trellis or posts in place before u need em. another lesson i learned the hard way. A wind storm snapped some branches and some of my best colas were on the ground. Dont want that to happen!! Good luck and hope you have a dry september!!

Hey bud ..

Some thoughts ..

Watch out with the EWC .. Don't top dress for some reason animals like it .. At least my pit does he tries to eat it when I top dress but if I mix it down low then he doesn't mess w it

Don't risk it digging big holes .. Lots of digging isn't good .. You make noise and can't hear if anyone is coming close .. I dug 2 shovel fulls out and put a clone in the hole .. Got a # .. let the roots do the work not you! And smaller holes = less medium bought = cheaper

For slugs try to get neem cake or diatomaceous earth .. .. Or I found these copper wire dish scrubbers at the grocery store .. Tear a few apart and twist a little around each stalk loosely to allow future growth. Or dig a bunch of tiny holes (fit a 16oz solo) and add a bit of beer to each one (spread these around your plot) to catch as many slugs as possible

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
If you put the plants out in the beginning of May, they will probably start to flower and may become stunted some from reverting back to veg. In NE we have to wait till end May/ begin June if they arent going into a greenhouse. Ill be taggin along. cheers

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you put the plants out in the beginning of May, they will probably start to flower and may become stunted some from reverting back to veg. In NE we have to wait till end May/ begin June if they arent going into a greenhouse. Ill be taggin along. cheers

Where did you hear this from? The best time to plant would be the end of April here in NE.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Not up here. It snows in april. And if not that, night temps are too low. So perhaps I should have said in northern NE.
Heck, historically speaking, a good deal of May has too many frosty mornings.

Green Sky

I live by the last frost rule. June 1st - also guarantees no early flower cuz of the proximity to Solstice.
I have built cold-shelters that have just been completely smotherd in snow as late as late May.

* B.W., I was was gonna say - 4x4x3 is @ 50 cubic feet - a lot of mixing and hauling per plant

As long as you have good soil, just turn it over and amend it with all your ferts.

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not up here. It snows in april. And if not that, night temps are too low. So perhaps I should have said in northern NE.
Heck, historically speaking, a good deal of May has too many frosty mornings.

I'm in MA wildgrow, so things might be different for you depending on what state in new england your from, NE is a big place so things could get confusing. I remember it snowed here in early april like 6 or 7 years ago, but other wise it's a freak occurrence. By mid April things really start to warm up and get nice here.

Green Sky

NE is a big place so things could get confusing. I remember it snowed here in early april like 6 or 7 years ago, but other wise it's a freak occurrence.

It Really depends on what Lattitude you are at. Not what state.

What elevation your grow is plays into it as well
I am at 43 North, but 1200 feet. I have snow in April. Not rare at all.
On Halloween 2011', I got 14 inches of snow - I harvested 21 ounces of almost done herb that night. Wish it was more

My buddy in Lake Luzerne NY (roughly same Lat) - has his seedling outside in May. Go figure

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Whats up guys,

Talked to the grobrow today.The time is coming up, seeds will be started April 10th! 35 seeds approximately. He will go on site and take a look for the definite location that they will take place.

They will be put outside probably on the 1st week of May. Should be getting a solid 14 hours of daylight by then. Hopefully this won't trigger early flowering. By the middle of May it should be 14.5 daylight length and the flowering zone should be ceased.

I'm thinking of making the wholes smaller since these seeds are not feminized and prolly half (the males) will have to be culled.

If anyone got any suggestions please chime in! don't be shy :huggg:

Anyways, I'm super excited to get my hands dirty and things started!

Thanks for taggin alone guys!

Peace

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
peat 3.5cu 25gal $10
perlite 4cu = 28gal
ewc 2cu 14gal
compost 2cu 14 gal $20

total 12cu 82gal / 35 = 2.34 gal per hole

Also wanna add some coco to the mix, maybe around 1cu of it..

ruffly 5 gal holes mixed with 50% native/50% of this mix

Espoma Bio-tone 10 cups
Bulb Food 5 cup
Greensand 5 cups
Rock Phosphate 12 cups
Kelp Meal 5 cups
Alfafa Meal 5 cups
Cottonseed Meal 2 cup
Blood meal 2 cup
Bone Meal 5 cup
N Guano 4 cups
P Guano 4 cups
Azomite 5 cups
Powder Lime 5 cups
Granular Lime 8 cups
Oystel Shell 6 cups

I got pretty much everything in this list already...

What do you guys think? I hope its not too hot of a mix.. I've used similar mix indoors with good results.

Peace

glockdoc

i wish i knew more about compost and such so i could answer you..but i dont.. i was planning on just on using fox farm ocean fresh and soil.

Latest posts

Latest posts