What's new

White House Response to Legalize It Petition

More of the same bull we've been hearing for years....

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!/response/what-we-have-say-about-legalizing-marijuana

OFFICIAL WHITE HOUSE RESPONSE TO
Legalize and Regulate Marijuana in a Manner Similar to Alcohol. and 7 other petitions
What We Have to Say About Legalizing Marijuana
By: Gil Kerlikowske

When the President took office, he directed all of his policymakers to develop policies based on science and research, not ideology or politics. So our concern about marijuana is based on what the science tells us about the drug's effects.

According to scientists at the National Institutes of Health- the world's largest source of drug abuse research - marijuana use is associated with addiction, respiratory disease, and cognitive impairment. We know from an array of treatment admission information and Federal data that marijuana use is a significant source for voluntary drug treatment admissions and visits to emergency rooms. Studies also reveal that marijuana potency has almost tripled over the past 20 years, raising serious concerns about what this means for public health – especially among young people who use the drug because research shows their brains continue to develop well into their 20's. Simply put, it is not a benign drug.

Like many, we are interested in the potential marijuana may have in providing relief to individuals diagnosed with certain serious illnesses. That is why we ardently support ongoing research into determining what components of the marijuana plant can be used as medicine. To date, however, neither the FDA nor the Institute of Medicine have found smoked marijuana to meet the modern standard for safe or effective medicine for any condition.

As a former police chief, I recognize we are not going to arrest our way out of the problem. We also recognize that legalizing marijuana would not provide the answer to any of the health, social, youth education, criminal justice, and community quality of life challenges associated with drug use.

That is why the President's National Drug Control Strategy is balanced and comprehensive, emphasizing prevention and treatment while at the same time supporting innovative law enforcement efforts that protect public safety and disrupt the supply of drugs entering our communities. Preventing drug use is the most cost-effective way to reduce drug use and its consequences in America. And, as we've seen in our work through community coalitions across the country, this approach works in making communities healthier and safer. We're also focused on expanding access to drug treatment for addicts. Treatment works. In fact, millions of Americans are in successful recovery for drug and alcoholism today. And through our work with innovative drug courts across the Nation, we are improving our criminal justice system to divert non-violent offenders into treatment.

Our commitment to a balanced approach to drug control is real. This last fiscal year alone, the Federal Government spent over $10 billion on drug education and treatment programs compared to just over $9 billion on drug related law enforcement in the U.S.

Thank you for making your voice heard. I encourage you to take a moment to read about the President's approach to drug control to learn more.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
one could take that point by point and everything is either false or "so what?"

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Simply put, it is not a benign drug.

Like many, we are interested in the potential marijuana may have in providing relief to individuals diagnosed with certain serious illnesses. That is why we ardently support ongoing research into determining what components of the marijuana plant can be used as medicine.

Interesting points from good ol' Gil. Not benign? Perhaps not, but certainly more so than aspirin, or particularly acetaminophen. Looks like he is holding out hope that the pharmaceutical industry can make it substantially more dangerous.

Snoopster

Veteran
He lost me here:
When the President took office, he directed all of his policymakers to develop policies based on science and research, not ideology or politics.

I don't know how that asshole could write that with a straight face.

Next election I'll be writing in "No One" again.

Meet the New Boss, same as the Old Boss.
(Actually Obama might be worse)

350pb9v.png

MIway

Veteran
Well, the NIH also states the following about alcohol, which is a bit worse than what they say about marijuna... lol. And yet... too sad to lol... ;-)

http://rethinkingdrinking.niaaa.nih.gov/WhatsTheHarm/WhatAreTheRisks.asp

"Injuries. Drinking too much increases your chances of being injured or even killed. Alcohol is a factor, for example, in about 60% of fatal burn injuries, drownings, and homicides; 50% of severe trauma injuries and sexual assaults; and 40% of fatal motor vehicle crashes, suicides, and fatal falls.

Health problems. Heavy drinkers have a greater risk of liver disease, heart disease, sleep disorders, depression, stroke, bleeding from the stomach, sexually transmitted infections from unsafe sex, and several types of cancer. They may have problems managing diabetes, high blood pressure, and other conditions.

Birth defects. Drinking during pregnancy can cause brain damage and other serious problems in the baby. Because it is not yet known whether any amount of alcohol is safe for a developing baby, women who are pregnant or may become pregnant should not drink.

Alcohol use disorders. Generally known as alcoholism and alcohol abuse, alcohol use disorders are medical conditions that doctors can diagnose when a patient's drinking causes distress or harm. In the United States, about 18 million people have an alcohol use disorder."

And the NIH also states this about marijuana...

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=6376&page=1

"In contrast with the many disagreements bearing on social issues, the study team found substantial consensus among experts in the relevant disciplines on the scientific evidence about potential medical uses of marijuana."

RECOMMENDATION 1: Research should continue into the physiological effects of synthetic and plant-derived cannabinoids and the natural function of cannabinoids found in the body. Because different cannabinoids appear to have different effects, cannabinoid research should include, but not be restricted to, effects attributable to THC alonc

Scientific data indicate the potential therapeutic value of cannabinoid drugs for pain relief, control of nausea and vomiting, and appetite stimulation. this value would be enhanced by a rapid onset of drug effect.

RECOMMENDATION 2: Clinical trials of cannabinoid drugs for symptom management should be conducted with the goal of developing rapid-onset, reliable, and safe delivery systems.

The psychological effects of cannabinoids are probably important determinants of their potential therapeutic value. they can influence symptoms indirectly which could create false impressions of the drug effect or be beneficial as a form of adjunctive therapy.

RECOMMENDATION 3: Psychological effects of cannabinoids such as anxiety reduction and sedation, which can influence medical benefits, should be evaluated in clinical trials.

Numerous studies suggest that marijuana smoke is an important risk factor in the development of respiratory diseases, but the data that could conclusively establish or refute this suspected link have not been collected.

RECOMMENDATION 4: Studies to define the individual health risks of smoking marijuana should be conducted, particularly among populations in which marijuana use is prevalent

Because marijuana is a crude THC delivery system that also delivers harmful substances, smoke marijuana should generally not be recommended for medical use. Nonetheless, marijuana is widely used by certain patient groups, which raises both safety and efficacy issues.

RECOMMENDATION 5: Clinical trials of marijuana use for medical purposes should be conducted under the following limited circumstances: trials should involve only short-term marijuana use (less than six months), should be conducted in patients with conditions for which there is reasonable expectation of efficacy, should be approved by institutional review boards, and should collect data about efficacy.

If there is any future for marijuana as a medicine, it lies in its isolated components, the cannabinoids and their synthetic derivatives. Isolated cannabinoids will provide more reliable effects than crude plant mixtures. Therefore, the purpose of clinical trials of smoked marijuana would not be to develop marijuana as a licensed drug but rather to serve as a first step toward the development of nonsmoked rapid-onset cannabinoid delivery systems.

RECOMMENDATION 6: Short-term use of smoked marijuana (less than six months) for patients with debilitating symptoms (such as intractable pain or vomiting) must meet the following conditions:
· failure of all approved medications to provide relief has been documented,
· the symptoms can reasonably be expected to be relieved by rapidonset cannabinoid drugs,
· such treatment is administered under medical supervision in a manner that allows for assessment of treatment effectiveness, and
· involves an oversight strategy comparable to an institutional review board process that could provide guidance within 24 hours of a submission by a physician to provide marijuana to a patient for a specified use.

And the reasons there is no scientific evidence by the FDA is that they simply don't want to find any, not that it's not there to be found...

http://www.mpp.org/assets/pdfs/library/Federal-Obstruction-of-MMJ-Research-1.pdf

And here is his fellow LEO bretheren, who are attempting a more rational & innovative approach to marijuana...

"http://www.leap.cc/

We petition the obama administration to:
Stop Interfering With State Marijuana Legalization Efforts

The “war on drugs” has yielded predictable suffering and waste, as the prohibition of widely desired substances has never generated positive results - except for the cartels and gangs who control the illegal market. Marijuana prohibition in particular is a colossal waste of resources that could be put to better use. Taking a noncriminal, regulatory approach to marijuana would enable states to pass their own laws, regulations and taxes to control marijuana and would end the Justice Department's intimidation tactics in medical marijuana states. One or more states will likely legalize adult use of marijuana in 2012, and the Obama administration should stop wasting scarce federal resources and uphold the president’s campaign pledge to respect states’ rights when it comes to marijuana.
Created: Sep 22, 2011"

You'd actually think a government that pays so much for other people to address & write these responses... that they could do a little better job in making a reasonable argument... or even an unreasonable one... just better.

J

juicepuddle

one could take that point by point and everything is either false or "so what?"

So true but sadly no one will, and when someone does no one will listen haha.
Well, the NIH also states the following about alcohol, which is a bit worse than what they say about marijuna...

They know they can lie to the faces of the idiot mass and even give them the info that proves it, they know no one is going to do anything about it lol

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yet under Obama the number of dispensories in the Country went to a record high.

As has been said dozens of times. Cali had the chance to legitimitize the movement with State legalization, but chose not to. This would have given the movement a solid leg to stand on and sent a clear message to Washington....... What could have been.......

He lost me here:

I don't know how that asshole could write that with a straight face.

Next election I'll be writing in "No One" again.

Meet the New Boss, same as the Old Boss.
(Actually Obama might be worse)

350pb9v.png

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Gil doesn't understand one very important point.

They have no right whatsoever to make it illegal for us to consume or possess a natural growing herb. This is a civil rights issue.

The argument of "Its not safe for the public so we can't legalize it" is absolutely insane, just look at all the other prescription drugs and all other legal stuff thats "not safe for the public." Why isn't all that illegal?

Its our own personal responsibility to accept the natural consequences of whatever it is we choose to consume or do based upon the risks associated with it. Its not the governments job to protect us from those risks.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
So our concern about marijuana is based on what the science tells us about the drug's effects.

hey, they missed the adjective Quack before the word Science in that sentence!

They have no right whatsoever to make it illegal for us to consume or possess a natural growing herb. This is a civil rights issue.

The argument of "Its not safe for the public so we can't legalize it" is absolutely insane....

they should try to make poison ivy illegal while they are at it, along-side thousands of other plant species that if consumed by humans will kill them or seriously damage health.

more blah blah blah from the ignoramuses that dream they're actually "governing"...

One Love 731

Veteran
I like the part about them saying they they support research. Also tell me the last time ya seen a commercial for any prescription that wasn't more than 50% about side effects. Shame on you JJ for side skirting the real issue, and blaming it on Cali. Our politicians refuse to listen to those that elect them yet you want to play the same game they do, they shit in my mouth but at least there was a piece of candy at the end or don't worry about the shit in your mouth, look at the pretty girl walking bye. Lets not look at the bright side, lets get mad, real mad, the kind of anger that can break down race, religion, etc. barriers and bring us all together on a single front. Democracy is like a bed time story that is solely based on fiction. http://www.newswithviews.com/Wood/patrick32.htm
Lets not blame Cali. I traded my morning shower for responding to this thread before volunteering at my local food bank. 1:ying:

G

guest86120975

Funny how it's all about "my body" (abortion, gay, etc) until it comes to the consumption of a plant.

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Don't forget it's STILL not cool when it's all about "your body". There are dooshnozzles running around telling folks they can't live the lifestyle they want without some sort of hassle.....AND there are always those folks that are vehemently attempting to put a kibosh on a woman's right to have an abortion.
It ALWAYS comes down to insane religious types and the money trail.
Live and let live. When people come to that conclusion you'll see a whole new road ahead. Until that time there's nothing but speedbumps and traffic signs.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Yet under Obama the number of dispensories in the Country went to a record high.

That had nothing to do with Obama...it just so happened he was Prez when it occurred-- We just may see a Record "low" number of them before he is ejected--:tiphat:

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
They're still using the old argument about smoking being potentially harmful. Smoking is bad for you, so we can't legalize cannabis. They completely ignore the people who eat or vaporize to get high. Meanwhile Obama is smoking a much more harmful and dangerous plant in the white house every day. You can smoke as much tobacco as you want, but you're going to jail if you smoke that other plant. They just want to protect us, right? That's what they always say. What's more harmful to a young adult's developing brain, smoking pot or spending time in prison?

P

puffinpass

I just do not get how they can give such a half-ass response to 74,000 + individuauls...WTF Everytime I think to myself" maybe they get it this time." I mean seriously, look at all the petitions, the legalize petition had the most votes by a huge amount , you would think they would take this issue more serious rather than spitting out the same old lies and propaganda. WE ARE NOT STUPID.... YOU ARE!!!!!! I AM NOT A CRIMINAL, I DONT WANT YOUR PILLS AND ALCOHOL!!!!