What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what strains smell/taste like ak47?

señorsloth

Veteran
this past grow i tried 6 strains, ak47, chemdog ibl, ogkush, la blanca, wwXbb, kanabia special.

i had always read previously that ak47 has a strong fruity taste like fruity pebbles...i have been trying to find a strain with an ACTUAL fruity pebbles taste, ive had it before many times, but as it was always street nug, i have no idea what the strains were.

upon growing serious seeds ak47 i found that all of the plants had the same smell, fairly strong, sweet smell, kinda like incence and overripe fruit...to be honest i can't stand the taste or smell, i ended up killing all my ak mothers and passing out all my jars of it. great yeilder, potent as hell, and awesome vigor, nice stable genetics, but the smell and taste are just NOT for me! i should mention everybody else liked it, though readily admitted it had nothing on my chem or kush for flavor and smell.

now i am on a second run, sog with chemdog ibl, as i shop for seeds to make mothers for the next run after that. i believe i have my strains picked out, blueberry, sweetest cindy, c99 f2, and possibly sensi star.

my only issue with buying more seeds, is that it's gonna cost me over 500 bucks for 4 strains, and i want to make sure none of them have a similar taste to my hated ak47. since i still flop back and forth between strains daily and have yet to pick a fourth, i figured it would be easier to just try and find out what strains have similar smells and flavors to the strain i am looking to avoid, rather than coming back here with a dozen strains a week to see if they will have that taste i don't like...

so what strains smell and taste similar to serious ak47?

flyer

if your testing out strains to see that you like, and in a legal state, why not go to co-op to smell and test all the strains to find out what you like, that way you can save time and money from buying seeds.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
so to recap

You want to know a seed strain that smells like an already existing seed strain.
You "can't stand the taste or smell" of this seed strain,
AND you want to find more?

señorsloth

Veteran
flyer- wouldn't that be great, but alas i am in minnesota, and our state is fucked right now. lol

shroom dr. = i thought i explained it pretty well, but i guess i didn't, i DON'T like the taste of ak47, which i grew last run, now im shopping for 4 more strains to add to my genetics pool and i am asking icmaggers if they have grown strains that taste similar to ak47 so i can get an idea of what to avoid...i figured it would be less of a hassle for everybody involved than just coming in once a week with a bunch of strains i would like to try to make sure they don't taste like ak47...i am not a picky smoker, i like almost all flavors and highs, so really i don't care so much about how my new strains taste(im sure they will be wonderful) so long as they meet my one requirement=they don't taste like serious ak...

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
O I C

You lost me when you said "read previously that ak47 has a strong fruity taste like fruity pebbles...i have been trying to find a strain with an ACTUAL fruity pebbles taste"

señorsloth

Veteran
lol i suppose i should have said i bought ak47 expecting a fruity pebbles taste but instead got a sandlewood and rotton fruit scent that i really hate...

DRorganic

Veteran
i love the old ak47 back in 91 i had 3 cherry flavored phenos that would leave you staring for hr on the couch with spit coming from your mouth .

Desert Dan

Veteran
Well... If you decide that you DO want fruity pebbles flavor, then BOG's Bogglegum is where its at for sure.

Epiphyte

Purple strains....gdp and purple urkle have smells in that ball park

Also, Ak 47 was never advertised in that manner...sweet is the descriptor...but it was breed for its high and not necessarily any particular flavor.

Max Headroom

Veteran
i would stay away from any crosses with ak47, like white russian. tastes pretty similar imho. (better high, tho)

i find ak47 overrated anyway. i mean it's nice and potent, but the high is rather short and not all that great.

señorsloth

Veteran
so all purple strains have that sorta ak47 fruit flavor? i just finished a run of skunk/haze mix from sam the skunk man, freebies, and i ended up with 3 that purpled and smelled just like, or even stronger than the ak, and another plant from the mix was even worse, like the worst smell ever, like ak47 after it sat in an attic for 50 years with strongly cologned old people stuff in dusty boxes...and the smell was super strong, every day when i cracked it for the cure i cracked it in another room cause i couldn't stand the lingering smell. it turned out to be one of the strongest but i got rid of it as fast as i could because it drove me nuts, the only other pheno smelled like pineapple, since this mix was a totally random mix of dozens of strains...and 4 out of 5 of my plants had the smell, it makes me think MOST plants must smell like this, and that i have been lucky thusfar in avoiding the flavor for the most part over the years.

i haven't really started trying lots of new strains till this last year, before i mostly stuck with my trusty nl, but that was long ago when there weren't very many strains out there.

so i love chemdog and og kush, or at least as close as i can get with my seed versions, they don't have this fruityness i can't stand, but i got rid of them for now, i'm starting a crop of c99 f2's and skunk specials....i would like some new flavors, hope i get them

id like to try some grapefruit, pineapple, fruit punch, fruity pebble cereal, and id like a few really really skunky plants, im going to keep hunting till i find mom's to represent everything. i'm hoping my c99's can cover the pineapple and grapefruit, i have bogglegum coming in the mail right now for fruity pebbles and i'm going to order dj's blueberry in a while for a fruit punch/skittles flavor, id really like to try something road kill skunk, because i dont' think my skunk specials are going to have what i was looking for in flavor, i just got them cause they were cheep and i needed more mom's to get enough clones in time.

i'm hoping to find all these flavors soon, so i can at least have a nice selection of different weeds to smoke from everyday...i'll keep trying new strains and building my personal "perfect" library of tastes... i already have a nice lemon flavor in reserva privadas og kush, but i'm gonna give super lemon haze a try and maybe lemon skunk too. i'll probably continue to do that with all of my holy grail flavors, but thats part of the fun

my main obstical as i see it is to stop growing out these damn purple fruit ak 47 tasting strains, i waste money, and 3 months growing them, to basically give it away as fast as i can and start over, it's getting discouraging, i feel like if i had a basic list of strains to avoid, i could accomplish my goals much quicker...

so guys, really, what strains smell like ak47? you know that flavor, i taste it in street weed all the time, (why i stopped smoking street weed) sorta rotten fruit and incense mixed together...sweet but in a over-ripe cherries and plums kinda way not in a mouth full of skittles kinda way...

Nirvana ICE is fruity pebbles if ya like that kinda stuff... Cheap seeds too. Peace

señorsloth

Veteran
hell id be happy if i knew that other people understand what i mean...i seem to be the only person that doesn't like this particular smell/taste...and it just keeps popping up in everything i try...

Marn

I had a Cheese plant that smelled exactly like fruity pebbles. It didn't taste like it though. Tasted more like skunk vomit but it was still some good herb.

BRNEYDBVR

hell id be happy if i knew that other people understand what i mean...i seem to be the only person that doesn't like this particular smell/taste...and it just keeps popping up in everything i try...

I had this same issue. I finally realized that it was White Widow.
Some people really enjoy it. I can't stand it. This goes for straight widow or any widow hybrid.

Edit: I'm not specifically talking about the sweet/incense taste that you don't like.

I got a pheno of The Pure that smells just like Fruit Loops, most of the other ones from the pack just smelled like a rotten fruity skunk. I've got a Bubba x Master Kush that smells exactly like Skittles.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol i suppose i should have said i bought ak47 expecting a fruity pebbles taste but instead got a sandlewood and rotton fruit scent that i really hate...

I smoked all three phenos. I like the fruity pebbles one the best by far. Even it has saddle wood on the exhale though. Great strain.