What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is Canna Coco ready to use out of the bag?

Hey guy. Recently i switch to coco and i am Loving It! Explosive growth. i love the control of complete soiless. Anyways, so far i have used two 60L bricks of grotek. Had to soak the bricks, then i cut holes in the bottom of a rubbermaid, flushed the shit out of them. Then treated them with 150PPM Calmag Solution and 150 PPM nutrient solution (i used Rubicon Organics, Marinis Seaweed)

This time its easier and more convenient for me to buy Canna Coir. I am wondering if Cannas coco is ready to use right out of the bag or if it needs to be treated first as well.

Thanks Guys,

-HT- :tiphat:

fred b

I've had some plastic bits and coco chunks in canna coco bags as well, but I use it out of the bag nonetheless ;) however, a good flush when transplanting with at least 20% runoff is never a bad idea

greets
fred b

B

B. Self Reliant

Canna is the bee's knees!

I wish I could get it here. . . saves in incredible amount of time compared to the Sunleaves bricks that need to be re-hydrated & flushed.

Work2much

Its the best Ive used but it still runs a high PH right out of the bag, almost 7. I like to flush it heavily with 5.5 PH water although many don't and have great grows.

jackiee

hi, i use canna straight out of the bag,no flushing no nutes,for 1st week just ph to 5.8then i slowly lift my nutes to 1.6 over a few weeks in grow,and i keep it there all through flowering with a 10 to 20% runoff no problems.stay lucky

BPJR

I recently grabbed a bag of Canna coir as my regular brand was not available. I have read many times that it is not necessary to flush Canna but after using it I'm not so sure. I put about ten sprouts in keg cups and they all are having issues. I always grow from seed so I have a hard time thinking it was grower error (though of course possible). Maybe I just got a bad batch. They all look burned and stunted. After a few good flushes with ph'd water I think all but one will pull through. I plan on going back to my regular brand from here on out though.

I have used other Canna products for years and they have always been top quality btw.

Grendelkhan

I agree with KB. Canna coco is the best IMO. I have use others that are just fine but Canna always seems the most consistent as far as quality. I have never flushed it before I use it and haven't had a problem from it in the 4 years I have been using it. Hope that helps a bit.

never used it...but im going to say yes....

any brand of coco is acceptable 2 use out of the bag/brick

flushing is a complete waste of time and huge misconception percieved by many on here...

the only important thing is 2 ensure you have hydrated/watered the coco with a good medium strength nute solution containing Ca and Mg....that is all

let them get flushed throughout your first couple of waterings with run off

you destroyed a perfectly good rubbermaid to be able to flush your bricks?? ooooo mannnn that makes me cringe thinking about it....im not trying to be a dick in anyway at all, but you completely wasted your time/money

Orygun

Sorry buddin but I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you on the fact that brick coco doesn't need to be flushed.Lots of brick coco is washed in sea water then dryed and packed into bricks which leaves massive amounts of salt in the medium which is terrible for plants.

Sorry buddin but I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you on the fact that brick coco doesn't need to be flushed.Lots of brick coco is washed in sea water then dryed and packed into bricks which leaves massive amounts of salt in the medium which is terrible for plants.

Agreed 100%

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got me some Garden coco. I think it had Gnat eggs in the COCO. did not have them before I used it. I do know they love coco and will seek it out over soil.

i appreciate your straight forward calm rebutal. the truth is through plenty of experience with brick coco, brands; sunleaves, GH, and most recently botanicare, ive found that "flushing" is useless. i argue with the point of never getting a yellow leaf, nor tip burn. i didnt make up the way i prepare and treat my coco out of thin air. i established it from someone on here at somepoint in time. the technique i previously mentioned of hydrating with a nutrient solution prior to plugging(yes i specifically only would only ever be transplanting a rockwool plug into mine, no seeds!) would be to use a med strength nute solution containing ample Ca and Mg. and finally throughout the 1st couple of waterings give ample run of, idk? 20-30% this is all i ever do with brick coco, having used those 3 brands mentioned above, and multiple runs with each. once again this method has never left the girls ill, deficient, nor burnt.
i strongly encourage you if you have any spare space and a wit to 'experiment' to try this out on a single plant at least.

heres a setup when i was using sunleaves bricks i believe. a 50/50 coir/chip mix. i used a maybe 10 gal mini trashcan and lined it with 2 plastic bags, hydrated with tap water nute solution at probably around 700ppm. hand broke the brick into smallest particle size, grabbed a handfull squeezed it and loaded into pots. no flush. period.

this method doesnt fail for me, therefore i dont see why it would fail for you.....im just trying to convince people it saves them plenty of time and various expenses devoted towards the effort of 'flushing coco', a bad coco nesessicity rumor IMO....

Thanks for all the replys guys!

I dont consider it a waist of my time or money though because id rather be safe then sorry! Took about 5 minutes. Charging it iv had great results. Rubbermaids cost like 6 bucks.

-HT-

Latest posts

Latest posts