What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

food and flavor

question is. dose the brand of food you give your plants affect flavor at all?
I have grown plants all the way to harvest with feeding only water and molasses once in a while.The buds came out airy and fluffy but had real nice flavor.

Now for bout a year I feed flora nova 1 part bloom at 2 teaspns/gallon.and 1 teaspn/gallon cal-mag.

I have noticed a significant change in flavor....Alot of woody/cedar type flavors seem to be overpowering the sweet flavors that were there before.

I dont know what to do because my buds look and smell amazing and are no longer fluffy but dense but have gotten worse in flavor dept...

Anyone else have similar problems ? All I can think of is Floranova bloom is zapping out flavor.Is there another brand of nutes that is similar in ease of use and effectiveness that wont change the flavor of your buds?

yes they get a 2 week flush.b4 harvest.My guess is that this food prvents some of the flavor molecues from fully developing.

I even tried floralicious as a additive for a run...Same woody/ceder taste..please help.

c'mon people.can anyone at all shed some light on this for me.It's a very serious question
I am sorry for my impatients but Im in a bind.getting up early am to restock on materials and cant be around. I would really like to start a new regime tommorro.please help me.

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
I have always liked the end result with Botanicaire PBP.
But be warned, you will lose yeild compared to your Salt ferts and pay twice as much.

Mr.Gr33n

for me its not about the flavour its about the 'high'
i have fellow groers that use diluted urine to add extra N

When smoked, there is no change in taste, nor would i guess adding strawberry extract
to the water would give it a 'strawberry taste'

if you prefer the 'flavour' with molasses, Then go for it my friend
They are your plants, your smoke, your flavour

there is no real right or wrong, aslong as you are happy with your stash
it's all good

thanks guys. losing yeild is ok.As long as I can get the flavor better.I hate the woody/citrus tastes happening with the floranova.

Greenheart

Veteran
I used to take my rootmass out of it's bucket and pressure spray most of the dirt away. Then I would place in a 5 gallon bucket filled 3/4 of the way with water. Then add a 50gal aquarium air pump pushing thru a 4" airstone. Proceed to change the water every 12 hours for 2 weeks. Flavor was good.

I then started flushing my plants for a couple days in the showerstall allowing a small constant flow of fresh water, then water only for 2 weeks, flush again in showerstall for 2 days.

I've gone back to my bucket with the airstone and now change water every 12 hours for 3 weeks. I noticed a significant differnence in flavor when I stopped and that extra 3rd week of flush really brings out the smell and taste imo.

Blackstrap molassess is great. I usually use it and water during the first week of my 3 week flush, as well as throughout the bloom cycle. :canabis:

-GH-

maybe you should try growing a new strain. genetics does seem to matter. at least in my experience. I have grown bag seed and have grown seeds from seedbay the same exact way just using cheap ferts. shultz 10-15-10 for veg and some green light super bloom for flower and there is a total difference in taste and trich production just because of the strain.

the genetics are tried and true.The room is dialed pretty good too.They get flushed for 2 weeks then they get a 20 gallon leeching 2 days before harvest.I hear ya on the flavor pureknowledge.The herb has flavor.It's just a fact that it's changed.There is something in the flora nova that enhances the more woody/cedar flavors and surpresses the sweeter candy like flavors.I wish it were not true but it is.So I'm going to try the bonticare pbp.next run and see if there is any difference.It just occured to me that I could be over flushing.Is this even possible? IDK I'm doing something wrong somewhere.guess I'll start at the food.

I asked a few local people I know about over flushing and they looked at me like I was nuts and said the only thing to look out for is ph swings but for 2 days I dont see how that would matter in the least.So I decided to try out the pbp and see if I find the answer Im looking for. thanks to those who posted.

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Subzero I still have to disagree. I grow in rdwc hydro with floranova, and I also grow in add water only soil organics. Everything always comes out the same except the RDWC always outperfroms the organics in yield and speed. I am a huge floranova supporter for its simplicity and performance.

northstate

ICMag Donor
I have to say that you should run a couple pots of organic home mixed soil with some guanos and earth worm castings topdressed lightly and often, that and your magic backstrap elixer FTW! FN does great, EJ is $ to be effective but tasty.

Good question though, food for thought. NS

Last edited:
I use floranova bloom 1tps per gallon,liquid karma 1 tps per gallon and some molasses probally 2-3 tsp per gallon(dont measure it just pour) and every strain I've grown so far has done really well, and with great taste everytime. I only flush for like 1-1.5 weeks. Love the floranova.

hey I loved flora nova for a year using it almost doubled my yeilds.And made my buds dense and beautifull.Maybe it's the combo of my medium and enviroment and the flora nova...But the buds taste different .Im going to try the pbp.1st If no improvement there then Ill try a all organic home mixed medium.Thanks again for all the replys.Ill get it sorted.Im not bashing floranova its easy to use and works well.