What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2200 watt perpetual harvest, my first grow

aloner

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and new to growing as well! What I have embarked on is a journey to learn everything I can about growing; this is my first operation, and if I can master it, I plan on expanding to something bigger, possibly a whole house or a warehouse. This grow is the culmination of months of research and planning but I realize I still have my work cut out for me!

I've never grown anything in my life up until now but I'm a fast learner and I'm here to soak up all the knowledge I can. I've been blown away by the amount of information available on these forums, I've been spending hours for the last few weeks just browsing and reading thread after thread. Thank you so much to everyone for contributing what you know to make this forum great!

I'd like to make it clear that is is a completely legal grow in a medical state with the use of multiple prescriptions formed under a cooperative. I don't want to go to jail, so this was extremely important in the planning stages.

I currently reside in a 3 bedroom townhouse with one roommate. We are both students, full-time employees, and marijuana enthusiasts with prescriptions :) For awhile the 3rd bedroom was used for storage and clutter, but a few months ago I decided to make better use of it.

The room measures about 10 feet by 12 feet, and has a closet as well, which measures about 8 feet wide by 2 feet deep. I decided that I wanted to use the closet for vegatative growth and the rest of the room for flowering. The idea was to take clippings from each plant before flowering and using them to make a new batch of plants, creating a perpetual harvest every month (after the 3rd month).

I plan on having 12 plants vegging in the closet and 24 plants flowering in the room at all times. I sketched up a visual diagram of this plan in photoshop and you can check it out here:
attachment.php

After spending more money than I would have liked to at the local hydroponics store, I ended up with three 600watt HPS lights for flowering in the room, and one 400watt MH light for vegging in the closet, among many other things. I decided to grow in soil based on the reccomendation from my friend who is helping me set this up based on the fact that it'll be my first grow and I'm probably in over my head already with 2200 watts and throwing hydro/aero into the mix would just be a recipe for disaster.

Although completely legal, stealth is still important to the operation. Since the townhouse is rented and part of a homeowners association, discovery would most likely lead to a cease-or-be-evicted notification. Part one of stealth was making sure the room didn't look like the twilight zone from the outside. (see picture below)

twilightzone.jpg

We decided to build a faux-wall across the window-space and leave the curtains drawn. From the outside, it simply looks like the light is never on in this room, and thanks to the curtains, the neighbors can't tell that there is actually a bunch of wood blocking light from coming out.

Part two of stealth was making sure it didn't stink like amsterdam in my neighborhood. We knew we would have to exhaust anyway, so we cut a 6" exhaust duct into the faux-wall and cracked the window before sealing the wall up completely. We are going to run a 6" vortex fan for exhaust and hook it up with a CAN50 carbon filter so the air going out the window should be nice and clean.

After building the faux-wall and hanging the hoods, this is what my room now looks like:

attachment.php

attachment.php

(we haven't set up/hung the ducting yet, so for now i have black t-shirt covering the exhaust exit)

Part three of stealth was making sure that people who come over to the house don't know that we're growing in the 3rd bedroom. I bought a lock for the door and installed it, but once the lights came on it became clear that something would have to be done about light leaking around the doorframe. I know it's a little ghetto, but I got some construction paper and cut it up to block the cracks in the doorframe. There is still a tiny bit of light that gets through the bottom left corner of the doorway, but I'm not too worried about since I don't plan on having a lot of people over from now on!

attachment.php

Next up was the closet. We took the sliding doors off and drilled some hooks into the shelf for the hood. Since I didn't want to mix light between the closet and the rest of the room, and since the closet is going to be on an 18/6 light cycle while the rest of the room will be on 12/12, obviously some sort of barrier had to be made. I didn't join the forums until after the room was already built, but I wish I had because I've seen some nice set-ups that probably would have been more conventional than mine, but it is what it is and so far it looks like it'll work fine!

We bought some velcro from home depot and lined the closet frame with it. Then we took some panda-tarp and cut it out to roughly the same shape as the frame. After some careful execution, we managed to get the sticky side of the velcro onto the tarp.. so now we have a fully-removable, reflective wall that for the most-part, blocks all light in or out of the closet. Here are the pictures:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Once the room was completely set up, it was time to get some clones and get the party going! We picked up 12 clones from a local dispensary, 6 GDP and 6 afghan kush. Without getting into a long, sad story about an amateur grower messing up, lets just say I lost 11 of the first batch of clones, leaving just one afghan kush standing.

Last tuesday I bought 11 more clones; 6 GDP and 5 purple kush, and so far the plants are looking pretty healthy! In about 2 weeks I think we'll be taking some clones and then moving them into the main room and firing up one or two of the 600watt lights. I plan on updating this thread once the room is completely set-up as well as showing my progress as the grow continues. Here's the first batch as of tonight (only 9/12 photographed). The big guy in the back row is the afghan kush that is a little over 2 weeks old now!

attachment.php

I'm extremely excited to be part of this community and hope to contribute my experiences as well as learn from people who have been doing this much longer than me (so far, that's just about everyone lol).

Please, point out any flaws you see with my set-up or any concerns about my plans! But before you do that, I have some questions that might be what you planned on addressing anyway:

1) My biggest concern right now is not burning the house down. It was built 8 years ago so I'm hoping that the wiring is in good shape and can handle what I'm trying to run. Since I don't plan on staying here for more than a year, I won't be upgrading the fusebox or converting to 240volts. My friend calculated that we're going to be running about 21amps altogether. If I read the fusebox correctly, this bedroom is rated at 15amps. Therefore, I plan on running extension cables from the other bedrooms, essentially running one 600 watt light off of each room in the house. Of course I'll be using surge protectors also. Is this a decent plan for risk-management as far as an electrical fire goes? I don't care about expensive electricity bills, I just don't want to wake up surrounded by fire.

2) Right now the only light in this room is the 400watt MH but even so, temperatures in the closet are running from 78-82 degrees. As you can see in the pictures, I have two mini-fans cooling the closet, but I'm concerned that once I seal the closet with the tarp when I'm using the rest of the room, temperatures will climb even more. Would buying one or two more fans help, or is there a better way to cool the closet off?

3) I tested the water from my sink (what I've been using) with a digital ph tester and it came back 7.8 - 8.0, which I thought was too high. After I added nutrients and stirred it up, the ph came back 6.4 - 6.7, should I be concerned or is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any advice/pointers! I hope to learn and grow as a grower during my stay on these forums!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 11
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 14

aloner

this post is just to get more attachments...

edit: didn't realize i'm limited to the total file size of attachments i can have at one time...i tried uploading to the gallery but it said my images were too big...does this mean i need to get a filehost if i want to add more images in the future? i didnt want to use my personal website for file hosting for obvious reasons...

Attachments

• growop.jpg
    growop.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 17
have you closed the tarp completely to test the temps yet? i might just use less light to veg if temps are too high, are you planning on mounting your ballast?

Looks like it'll be a sick setup
Best of Luck

Welcome to IC
:wave:

aloner

have you closed the tarp completely to test the temps yet? i might just use less light to veg if temps are too high, are you planning on mounting your ballast?

Looks like it'll be a sick setup
Best of Luck

Welcome to IC
:wave:

Thanks for the welcome! I knew I forget one of the questions I planned on asking! I was going to ask for reccomendations on mounting the ballasts...these suckers are pretty heavy, so I was thinking of building miniature shelves near each light for them, what do you think?

Also, I don't know why I haven't tested closing the tarp with the light on yet, I sealed it up right now and I'll check back in two hours to see what happens.

I went with the 400watt by suggestion of the guy at the hydroponics store, he said it would generate "barely any heat" but I humbly disagree now that I've seen it in action. We almost went with the T5 but from what I understand I would have to veg for about a week longer and I'm trying to keep this cycle going as quick as possible. At this point I sort of feel like I'm going to have to do the best I can with the equipment I've bought...so hopefully I can make it work with the 400watt light.

yeah those temps are about to skyrocket. But another thing, The bottom flat of the tarp needs to be 100% lightproof, just double check with the lights in the bud room off.

But I would find the studs in the ceiling and screw some eyehooks to hang the ballast from heavy chain. Im sure the shelfs would work, just make SURE they can support the weight.

great variety btw, i wish i had a cut of than GDP man

hey your not testing the temps with the plants in there are you lol, hope they dont climb too high. Adding a splitter to your duct work and running it to the veg room may be one option to vent it.

I decided to grow in soil based on the reccomendation from my friend who is helping me set this up based on the fact that it'll be my first grow and I'm probably in over my head already with 2200 watts and throwing hydro/aero into the mix would just be a recipe for disaster.

BS!

If you are going this route, mark my words, you'll be kicking your self in your ass for not going hydro/aero to start with.

idk my first set up was with a 1k with 24 aero was so simple soil is a mystery to me.

Just saying. ;)

FoCo(No.Co)

Barned
Veteran
Welcome, aloner... I think you might live near me.

As long as all your gear is plugged in to properly rated extensions/circuits and you're lights are hung securely, you dont have to worry about fire. Although, it is a good idea to keep a fire extinguisher in the house, just to be safe. If the bedroom is on a 15 amp, 120 volt circuit, you can run 15amp x 120v x .8(safety coefficient)=1440Watts and still be operating according to code. So you are going to have to run an extension chord to fire the third 600 and the 400.

Having the veg room in the same bedroom as your flowering area will cause some problems: ventilating the veg area in a light proof manner, running extension chords thorugh your hallway and through flowering room to closet, limits your work times in both rooms, etc. Plus any small light leak can stress your plants and cause them to hermie... the strains you picked happen to be particularly prone to this in my experience. Hermie flowers may drop pollen and ruin your entire crop. Have you considered building a stealth cab for the veg area and keeping it in your bedroom?

A ph of 6.4-6.7 will be fine throughout both cycles in soil.

aloner

yeah those temps are about to skyrocket. But another thing, The bottom flat of the tarp needs to be 100% lightproof, just double check with the lights in the bud room off.

But I would find the studs in the ceiling and screw some eyehooks to hang the ballast from heavy chain. Im sure the shelfs would work, just make SURE they can support the weight.

great variety btw, i wish i had a cut of than GDP man

hey your not testing the temps with the plants in there are you lol, hope they dont climb too high. Adding a splitter to your duct work and running it to the veg room may be one option to vent it.

So that was only about an hour but in that time the temperature went from 79.1 to 85.3.....it's a good thing I opened it up when I did! It was pretty crazy, heat just came flooding out and the temperature stabilized back to 79 in literally less than 60 seconds. This poses a serious problem because it'll be pretty hard to run exhaust through the tarp without light leaks, not to mention our ducting scehmatic really didn't include the closet.

I'm thinking I might have to bite the bullet and switch to flourescent bulbs, there is no way we can keep that tarp sealed with 400watts in there and no exhaust.

BS!

If you are going this route, mark my words, you'll be kicking your self in your ass for not going hydro/aero to start with.

idk my first set up was with a 1k with 24 aero was so simple soil is a mystery to me.

Just saying. ;)

My friend who is teaching me and walking me through my first harvest said he lost a crop with aero and his reasoning for me starting with soil is that soil is forgiving, you can make a mistake and the plant will survive...but with hydro/aero, if you make a mistake the plant will die. I have little knowledge though, so if he is incorrect please let me know!

Welcome, aloner... I think you might live near me.

As long as all your gear is plugged in to properly rated extensions/circuits and you're lights are hung securely, you dont have to worry about fire. Although, it is a good idea to keep a fire extinguisher in the house, just to be safe. If the bedroom is on a 15 amp, 120 volt circuit, you can run 15amp x 120v x .8(safety coefficient)=1440Watts and still be operating according to code. So you are going to have to run an extension chord to fire the third 600 and the 400.

Having the veg room in the same bedroom as your flowering area will cause some problems: ventilating the veg area in a light proof manner, running extension chords thorugh your hallway and through flowering room to closet, limits your work times in both rooms, etc. Plus any small light leak can stress your plants and cause them to hermie... the strains you picked happen to be particularly prone to this in my experience. Hermie flowers may drop pollen and ruin your entire crop. Have you considered building a stealth cab for the veg area and keeping it in your bedroom?

A ph of 6.4-6.7 will be fine throughout both cycles in soil.

Thanks for the welcome and all the insight! Initially we talked about using my 2nd closet in my bedroom for vegging (the master bedroom has 2 closets)...but my friend advised against it because we wouldn't have any control over temperature...how ironic that I'm running into the same problem now with this room. Right now the closet light is on from 6pm to Noon, and I planned on setting the 600watt lights for 6pm to 6am....so 6am to noon would be the only time were total darkness would be a problem.

I resealed the closet and closed the door to check for light leaks. The velcro is good around the edges, if you press hard enough against it, there is little to no leaks. The biggest problem was the bottom portion, since it isn't secured by anything, every time I tried to fix one leak, 3 others would open up. I was thinking if I brought some books into the room I could use them as anchors to keep the bottom of the tarp from popping up. I did manage to seal it all off with almost zero light leak, so I don't think it's impossible.

How much light does it take to cause a plant to hermie? Where there were very small cracks, the light quickly dissipitated and didn't even reach where my hoods are. Would just a little bit of light manage to cause a hermie? Or are we talking a serious light leak?

Even so, there is no way I can keep that closet sealed with the current light/ventilation set up. Besides moving it to another closet (which would really only be moving the problem, not solving it)....or switching to flourescent bulbs....do I have any alternatives? I was really hoping to veg for just 2 or 3 weeks, assuming it takes 1 week for my clippings to root, that would be a nice 1 month cycle before flowering....if I veg under flourescent, it'll push the whole harvest back a week, so I'm open to alternatives.

FoCo(No.Co)

Barned
Veteran
So that was only about an hour but in that time the temperature went from 79.1 to 85.3.....it's a good thing I opened it up when I did! It was pretty crazy, heat just came flooding out and the temperature stabilized back to 79 in literally less than 60 seconds. This poses a serious problem because it'll be pretty hard to run exhaust through the tarp without light leaks, not to mention our ducting scehmatic really didn't include the closet.

A good exchange of air is required, not optional, to supply the plants with fresh CO2 and remove heat from the room.

I'm thinking I might have to bite the bullet and switch to flourescent bulbs, there is no way we can keep that tarp sealed with 400watts in there and no exhaust.

You are much better off with the 400 for veg. It is easily cool-able, dont worry.

My friend who is teaching me and walking me through my first harvest said he lost a crop with aero and his reasoning for me starting with soil is that soil is forgiving, you can make a mistake and the plant will survive...but with hydro/aero, if you make a mistake the plant will die. I have little knowledge though, so if he is incorrect please let me know!

If you've already managed to kill 11 of your first 12 clones, you made a wise choice with soil. No offense, I promise you'll get better at it, haha.

I resealed the closet and closed the door to check for light leaks. The velcro is good around the edges, if you press hard enough against it, there is little to no leaks. The biggest problem was the bottom portion, since it isn't secured by anything, every time I tried to fix one leak, 3 others would open up. I was thinking if I brought some books into the room I could use them as anchors to keep the bottom of the tarp from popping up. I did manage to seal it all off with almost zero light leak, so I don't think it's impossible.
That area will work fine, I'll tell you how to solve this for cheap at the end of this post.

How much light does it take to cause a plant to hermie?
Potentially very little. This is not a risk you want to take. Would you be willing to bet your entire harvest that a little light leak wont be a problem?

Even so, there is no way I can keep that closet sealed with the current light/ventilation set up. Besides moving it to another closet (which would really only be moving the problem, not solving it)....or switching to flourescent bulbs....do I have any alternatives? I was really hoping to veg for just 2 or 3 weeks, assuming it takes 1 week for my clippings to root, that would be a nice 1 month cycle before flowering....if I veg under flourescent, it'll push the whole harvest back a week, so I'm open to alternatives.

I HAVE A SOLUTION THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO RUN EVERYTHING ON A SINGLE CIRCUIT, VENT YOUR VEG SPACE, AND PREVENT LIGHT LEAKS.

I am typing it up in a second post... give me a few minutes!

FoCo(No.Co)

Barned
Veteran
Ok, so here is my proposal:

You run three different rooms all contained within the empty bedroom. One vegitative and two flowering rooms:

Room 1(Veg)-The closet stays as it is, except you need to blow air out the top of the room with an extraction fan. Inline duct blowers are expensive, but a cheap substitute can be made with a cheap fan like this:
51SuxqJxKcL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Hooked up to a duct reducer like this:
image.aspx

Will attatch to 6' ducting, which I'm guessing you already have. Hang the fan from the cieling(at top of room where hot air gathers) and vent through a hole in the poly. Your Veg area will no longer be lightproof, so you can go ahead and cut a second hole for your intake at the bottom of the poly. This will keep your veg area at an acceptable temperature and replenish it with CO2.

Room2(flower)-This room will be a room made out of wood frame and black/white poly, lit by one 600 watt lamp. Dont be intimidated by this, they are super easy to build and easy to light proof! Check out this thread to get an idea:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=10974
During the first three weeks of flower your plants will undergo what we call "the stretch", during which they will double or more in size, then in weeks 4-8 they start filling out their buds and adding girth. If you use a smaller flowering room for the first four weeks, you can finish the stretch and have a second bigger room ready for your plant to fill out.

Room3(flower)-Second, larger black/white poly cab with two 600 watt lights.

The beauty of this scheme is that you can run the two flowering cabs on a "split schedule" where one flowering room is lit and one is dark at all times! No need to run suspicious looking chords under a bedroom door(come on, you know plenty of people will be visiting your house anyway and each person who knows or suspects is a liability). Also, the enclosed area will be a much more efficient use of your lights and will easily pay back your extra building costs in one cycles. I mean, you've got nice equipment, nice genetics, why not make your build everything it can be to maximize yields?

I'm usually not this helpful, but I have been enjoying a recent harvest of almost pure sativa... so it was either do this or clean my house, haha. But seriously, feel free to take or leave the advice, but if it sounds interesting to you, I'll be around to answer any questions.

aloner

FoCo(No.Co), thank you for all the ideas and suggestions, it sounds like your plan would work very well but something I didn't mention is that we are pulling in fresh air from the rest of the house, there is no CO2 or fan bringing in air from somewhere else. I think I remember the guy at the hydro store telling me that based on some piece of equipment we were buying, we couldn't use CO2, so that comes into play also. We plan on cooling the room with the central a/c unit that is already built into the house, I know it's going to be freezing in the house over the summer, but that leads to the next thing that I'd like to mention, which is that this grow is meant to be a platform for something bigger, in the sense that, I want to learn from my mistakes on a small scale, get used to watering/diagnosing problems/harvesting, and then in about 6-8 months, move on to a bigger project. Since the goal is a perpetual harvest, in 6-8 months I should go through more than 100 plants and 4 or 5 harvests, so i think by then I'll be ready for a new challenge.

Having said that, I also don't want to set up anything that is too "permanent" in this room, that will cost a lot to put together and be hard to take apart. I do like the idea of being able to run everything off one circuit, but I'm not sure if this plan will fit my goals completely.

I was thinking today of building a wall that would block out any light from the closet to the rest of the room. The only thing I'm stuck on now is cooling the closet since it wont be able to take advantage of the central a/c, and cutting a hole in the wall to vent would defeat the purpose of building the wall in the first place. Here's a quick sketch I did in photoshop, what do you think?

attachment.php

Attachments

• possiblefix.jpg
    possiblefix.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 11