Cuddles

So far this season...
purple spuds 57lbs
View attachment 19012141

reds 105lbs

View attachment 19012143

yukon gold 105lbs to witch is odd...

View attachment 19012144
WOW. you really are a pretty busy farmer!
:p
and since you got so many potatoes I was wondering if you would mind sharing some storage tips?
I buy mine in bulk these days and they always develop those sprouty-thingies (sorry but I forgot what they´re called exactly) .
Is there a good and easy way to prevent this from happening?

I was told that it´s best to keep them in a dark place but that hasn´t really worked in the past :(

I also heard that potatoes keep best when they´re not on top of each other but this is not an option for me.
My kitchen is really small and I have practically zero storage space for anything at all. :(

Littleleaf

Veteran
WOW. you really are a pretty busy farmer!
:p
and since you got so many potatoes I was wondering if you would mind sharing some storage tips?
I buy mine in bulk these days and they always develop those sprouty-thingies (sorry but I forgot what they´re called exactly) .
Is there a good and easy way to prevent this from happening?

I was told that it´s best to keep them in a dark place but that hasn´t really worked in the past :(

I also heard that potatoes keep best when they´re not on top of each other but this is not an option for me.
My kitchen is really small and I have practically zero storage space for anything at all. :(
That is a good question on HOW. I've found the colder the better. Anything under 50f will slow the eyes from sprouting. Most store bought spuds are sprayed with sht. (don't know what) to keep them from sprouting eyes.

To keep them from rotting. Cover them with lime.

A cellar is the best place to store them. Wish I had one. Brother and I are going to build one over the next year......

Learn how to can and they can be froze too.. Canned spuds will last for years.

These yellow wax beans are from just 3 plants. A good half gallon of them. Have way more to pick. Will be freezing some and canning the rest.
yellow wax from 3 plants.jpg

xtsho

I'll humbly post my meager garlic harvest. It was just from store bought garlic that sprouted and I planted last fall. I sure wish I had the space some people have. I really have to plan out my space to maximize things. After I pulled the garlic I immediately amended the soil with compost and planted cucumbers. When the cucumbers are finished I'll plant either beets, radishes, or lettuce in that spot. I try and get three harvests out of my spaces.

garlic06062024.jpg

negative37dBA

Veteran
I see some pretty impressive stuff here I am just getting started with food crops this last year or so. My potato crop is booming. This was June 1.
IMG_8688 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8689 - Copy.JPG

I just hilled them up quite a bit more. We are getting some nice weather here for growing.
Have a sweet day all. Peace, negative.

Latest posts

Latest posts