What's new

the potential in south america

zamalito

Veteran
I can't wait for the smoke report. Thanks for spending the money to share that with us. Its very cool. Hopefully its the best deal on seeds in holland.

zamalito

Veteran
What do the mature seeds look like as far as size color pattern etc? Definitely keep us posted on other goodies you find at that shop.

Hi I just regained conciousness again... Nah just kidding. :wink:

The Ecuador is a lot more tasty compared to the Jamaica, probably just a little less fermented. I can tell there's a slight hint of pine in there, something spicy. But it's very hard to tell exactly what the smoke's like with these pressed buds. Again, this tastes mostly of dead plant, but some elements of the taste can still be traced back to what the original must have been like. The high is all in the head and very mellow, not causing any paranoia or anxiety. Sure, this brick was loaded with seeds so that must surely have had it's effect on potention. Although the Jamaica is less tasty it packs more of a punch sin las semilllas. The Ecuador definately offers the better smoke though. It also leaves a little sweet taste on my lips, but that may also be a result of the hash-like fermentation process.

zamalito said:
What do the mature seeds look like as far as size color pattern etc? Definitely keep us posted on other goodies you find at that shop.
Sorry for not posting any pics, today my accu's were fully charged when I discovered it's the camera that's faulty. Trying to take macro's with my phone cam is useless...

The mature seeds are of a dark green/brownish colour. The darker they get the more freckles they have, but still there's not that many spots on them. There are only 5 or 6 of them which I think might prove viable, these are also the biggest seeds. The rest of them are smaller and lighter green coloured. The mature seeds seem to be quite big for a sativa by the way. I have some Haze Special seeds here that are half their size. The best developed seeds are hidden in the middle of the pressed buds, so I hope I may find another one or two when preparing joints.

When I went to the shop yesterday they showed me the bag of Ecuador that seemed to be untouched before I asked them for it. I had the impression I was the first customer actually buying this Ecuador off their menu. I'll stop by another time during daytime so I can help the guy behind the counter with selecting some nice and brown seeds for my next bag of Ecuador. The smoke wasn't bad at all for pressed brickweed, albeit a little weak in effect due to all the seeds. But if any of the seeds sprout I think they may well produce an interesting plant so I'll definately try to find more seeds and broaden my range of choice. I'm without growing space at the moment, so I won't be able to work on them right away but I sure will in the near future. I hope there's something potent amongst them and I wonder what flowering times will be like. Should probably expect something between 14 to 18 weeks under artificial lighting I suppose? I read the FS Celestial will finish in 10 weeks, but is this a hybrid or the original Ecuadorian plant?

G

Mad Scientist said:
I read the FS Celestial will finish in 10 weeks, but is this a hybrid or the original Ecuadorian plant?

Arf, I'd like to know this too ! It seems at least it's a stable hybrid with pure sativa traits. Maybe a very good inbred landrace or a very good hybrid stabilized...

Rahan

Yeah I wonder whether they were lucky to find a stable landrace that needed little fiddling or if it took a lot of inbreeding/hybridizing before they got what they wanted.

In any case I'll still have to wait and see if any of the seeds are viable at all, but I would be nice if I could look forward to an early finisher right from the start. Here's another sorry attempt to show the seeds. If you can make anything out of it I'd like to add they show darker in the pic than they really are. The little heap in front are the 'mature' seeds, then some less developed seeds and some clearly underdeveloped seeds in the back.

Thanx again for any comments... :bandit:

redrider

Seeded Weed

Seeded Weed

Sure, this brick was loaded with seeds so that must surely have had it's effect on potention.
Hello Mad Scientist great find. I have found bud that has been pollinated is no less potent then the same plant that is not pollinated. Growing "sinsemilla" just gives you more bud not more potent bud.

Peace from Colombia

maxdrumm

You are in the right path mad scientist....we´ve been growing brickweed seeds for decades....those seeds will be a real adventure

Wow redrider....i remember punto rojo bricks when i was younger :yummy:

Last edited:

Ganico

Veteran
I smoked some red brick weed this year. It tasted like hay and dirt, and despite being bricked had really soft buds, could have been due to decomposition though. Despite all the bad it had a clear giggly high that lasted forever.

Wish I had saved the beans, but I wasn't hip to the way things worked down there so just wrote it off. It would have been some good genetics. I've actually felt like an ass for not saving them after I read all about how the brick weed was in no way a representation of it's genetic potential. I just thought along the lines of "brick weed/mexican inferior feral cannabis" like most americans.

It seriously seriously is a shame that I didn't know the truth at the time and saved the beans. I lost at least an hour of sleepthinking about it, haha

redrider

Brick

Brick

This is some "domestic" Colombian brick Corinto Monster. Even in this form it's very tasty and potent.

Peace from Colombia
BTW that "chunk" cost less then $20US (250g)

Last edited:
Ganico said:
It seriously seriously is a shame that I didn't know the truth at the time and saved the beans. I lost at least an hour of sleepthinking about it, haha
Sounds too familiar. I've collected a nice amount of seeds over the years, but sometimes you're out somewhere and you find a single seed in the bud you just don't care to save it or you try and it gets lost after all. I remember putting some Jamaican seeds apart some time ago, but it now seems I haven't been saving them in an obvious space. Turned my room around yesterday but the seeds I saved were nowhere to be found, except for a few ones I saved earlier. So no Jamaican from my side anytime soon, but fortunately I do have an amount of thai/superthai seeds and some Ecuadorians on top of that. Enough to keep me occupied in the coming months. :joint:

@redrider: 20 bucks for 250 grams is absolutely amazing. I'd buy all the Ecuador in store if those prices were the same here. I guess I'd have roughly 750 mature seeds from that lol... :D Not bad looking either, you can still see quite a lot of the original texture. Very pretty pics.

redrider

Corinto

Corinto

@redrider: 20 bucks for 250 grams is absolutely amazing. I'd buy all the Ecuador in store if those prices were the same here. I guess I'd have roughly 750 mature seeds from that lol... Not bad looking either, you can still see quite a lot of the original texture. Very pretty pics.
Thanks Mad Scientist, thats what brick looks like before its packaged shipped, stored (years?) and sold somewhere up north. It was all buds and not really very many seeds and it was fresh with a good smell and taste. The price is what you would pay in Colombia "if" you know someone that likes you, street prices and quality vary. Here's some bud I grew from the seeds.

Peace

zamalito

Veteran
Man, I'm excited. I just picked up some beautiful glossy dark grey perfectly round bolivian cochabamba seeds from my friends house. I only have eight but hopefully they'll provide a decent sampling of the gene pool.

Sippin' on some Ecuador now...

@redrider: It's so nice to see the actual bud structure before it was pressed, as your pics show. Makes me float away on tropical fantasies while I sit here with the heater on and outside it's pouring cold Dutch rain. It makes me realise even more that true beauty is not in hyped and pumped-up commercial strains we pay hundreds of Dollars for, it sits here right next to us. In backgardens like yours and in far-away coffeeshops like mine, as long as you know what you should be looking for. I've gotten all tired of the rat-race of the 'civilised' world and all the folks that want to get knocked out by a weed after three tokes so they can forget it all... Gobsmacked.

Compared to what we get here your pressed Corinto still looks very good, but people over here would never give credit where credit is due. Frightened by the look of the distorted plant parts they don't realise very often that this once was a beautiful plant, and some of it's characteristics still live on in the pressed product. Your pics of 'fresh' bud are a treat to the eye, also because they reveal a part of the story you won't hear too often in the coffeeshops. Everyone seems to have forgotten how all those 'white' strains got here in the first place.

Speaking of which, would there be any contamination of South American sativas by European, colchicine treated species? Or do these genetics go back to way before the late eighties, having never been in contact with the outside world? I think the latter, but since there's a piece of cannabis history that took place when I hadn't been born yet the thought of colchicine suddenly scared the heck out of me. Possibly altered DNA or still the real thing, what do you reckon?

Whoo Zamalito! Bolivia is in on it too lol... :D

Please keep us updated on your activities! I think I'm gonna quit my job to be able to follow this thread 24/7... :D

zamalito

Veteran
Madscientist, you've seen the light! I'm really happy for you. If you're interested the guys over at strainguide may be interested in your find. In the case of colombia I don't believe there much that could've been accomplished by introducing new genetics. What already grows there is fully acclimated to the altitude, latittude and humidity, yields well, likes the soil, and is as potent as almost anything that was readily obtained until a couple years ago.

Glad to hear so Zamalito. I'm under the impression that strains treated with colchicine for potency somehow have overshot the mark, leaving the smoker with a full-on sledgehammer effect. It's like offering a wine connoisseur some methylated spirits instead if wine. Sure it will knock him out good, but there's not much left of the 'bouquet' which, at least in my book, is a great part of the fun as well. I just hate it when my brain comes to a complete halt after having smoked a potent 'white' strain. Sure I like being stoned, but it shouldn't feel like a complete energy-drain, making me feel like a hollow shell. I believe cochicine does something to the plants' genes that make it polyploid, but it also reduces a lot of other taste-related traits and causes the effects of the weed to be stronger, but a lot shallower as well.

I guess I was born a couple of decades too late. I should have been a hippie... :D

Now off to the shop again to get me some more Ecuador seeds! The more the marrier. :bandit:

redrider

Colombian

Colombian

Glad to hear so Zamalito. I'm under the impression that strains treated with colchicine for potency somehow have overshot the mark, leaving the smoker with a full-on sledgehammer effect. It's like offering a wine connoisseur some methylated spirits instead if wine. Sure it will knock him out good, but there's not much left of the 'bouquet' which, at least in my book, is a great part of the fun as well. I just hate it when my brain comes to a complete halt after having smoked a potent 'white' strain. Sure I like being stoned, but it shouldn't feel like a complete energy-drain, making me feel like a hollow shell. I believe cochicine does something to the plants' genes that make it polyploid, but it also reduces a lot of other taste-related traits and causes the effects of the weed to be stronger, but a lot shallower as well.
Mad Scientist I agree with you about the super potent "white" strains but sometimes I do like it because there are times when I can't burn a whole joint and a few quick pipe hits works better. I love the "high" from Colombian Gold but its no where near as strong as say the white rhino I grew but the Colombian has a completely different effect. I like to smoke Mj, I like everything about it, the smell, taste and of course the effect but with the rhino I can't smoke much so its more "effect" then smoking pleasure. With the Gold I take my time looking at the natural beauty of the bud and then grinding in up and then smelling the aroma (just like when I grind fresh coffee beans), then rolling it into a some what lose joint. Next a dry hit for flavor then but the flame to it and smoke on it till I forget thats what I'm doing (smoking) and get lost in something else (gardening). With the rhino (just a white strain example) I look, smell, load it in the pipe and two hits later I put it away and wait (10 min.) then BAM it hits me and I'm lost in euphoric bliss, not motivated to do anything but enjoy. I really like them both but if I had a choice I would smoke only the Gold just because I like to smoke.
Mad Scientist the great thing about where your at is you have so many choices that you don't have to grow out to find out you like. I wish you the best of luck with your Ecuadoran Sativa, if you like the "pressed" sample you know your homegrown bud is going to be awesome!
Peace from Colombia

maxdrumm

All landrace hybrid: paraguay/colombia/mex x ethiopia/malawi :sasmokin:
Peace :wave:
9632p-c-m-X-e-m-2.jpg

Last edited: