What's new

A Taste of Africa from Malawi

ULMW

JUNE 26

JUNE 26

Greetings ! Malawi Fem doing her thing in the veg chamber. Will give her a second topping and take clones from them before I put her to flower in about 3 or 4 weeks time. Really love this plant. Feels rootsy and powerful. Growing very vigorously!

Attachments

• 20170626_142029.jpg
    20170626_142029.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 21

2scoot

Man....which strain will get you higher is a discussion that will never be settled.:) I will say that MY experience is that Malawi will definitely get the job done for ME. :tiphat:

I couldn't agree more! I still have a personal stash of 22 week Malawi that is over a year old - it just gets better with age. Much smoother without that initial sledgehammer effect - always a plus unless you enjoy that rush.

Maka

Greetings ! Malawi Fem doing her thing in the veg chamber. Will give her a second topping and take clones from them before I put her to flower in about 3 or 4 weeks time. Really love this plant. Feels rootsy and powerful. Growing very vigorously!

Looking very very good!

Kaskadian

Veteran

Looking great! I can't wait to see what she does.

onavelzy

Veteran
Ace Malawi seedlings update

Ace Malawi seedlings update

I popped these seeds on 4/9/17. Five of the six are females. I eliminated the male as I'm not set up to have a separate space for pollen collection, breeding etc.

They were flipped on 6/11.

I have them in a tent with three seedlings of a Loompa Yeti x ECSD cross. The five Malawis are in the back, the yeti's are the front row:

picture.php

The net is pretty close to 3' from the base of the plants

I switched from 12/12 to 11/13 because the Malawi's had very little flower compared to the Yetis.

Here's some of the Malawi tops:

picture.php

The Yeti's and the Malawi's entered the tent at about the same height. That's right about when I had that pretty significant Mag deficiency in three of the Malawi's. Despite that misstep, most of them are now four to six inches taller than the Yeti's.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
The Yeti's and the Malawi's entered the tent at about the same height. That's right about when I had that pretty significant Mag deficiency in three of the Malawi's. Despite that misstep, most of them are now four to six inches taller than the Yeti's.

Hey Ona, looking good as usual. The Malawi should continue to outrun the rest of the plants through flower. Don't be afraid to continue to spread them out under the screen to even the height out.

onavelzy

Veteran
Hey Ona, looking good as usual. The Malawi should continue to outrun the rest of the plants through flower. Don't be afraid to continue to spread them out under the screen to even the height out.

Thanks Terp! I had to laugh a little when I read the first line. As you know, I tend to view my efforts a little more cynically. I still smile each time I open the tent and find that nothing has died.

I'm not sure if stuffing those five Malawis and the three Yeti/Diesels into one 5x5 tent was willful ignorance, arrogance, the innocence of a five year old or A.E. Neuman logic:

what-me-worry.png

Tsiro

Hey guys.
I've been thinking about making a cross with malawi, but currently theres only feminized breeders packs in stock.
Is there any negatives for using femmed plant for breeding?
I found multiple threads on this via google but didnt find any conclusive results(mostly just ppl flaming at eachother and stuff :p).

This ace forum looks like a nice place so I wanted to ask you guys<3

onavelzy

Veteran
Make it stop!!

Make it stop!!

I think the leads have grown a foot since the last photo on 6/27:

picture.php

Just starting to get some pistil formation now.

picture.php

I bent some leads under the netting but there were a few days where I didn't have time to attend to the plants much and it just got beyond where i could bring them over. I broke one lead trying to do so so I gave up. Any more growth and I might put up a second tier. How long after the first three weeks can the stretch go?

ULMW

Onavelzy, hold strong and do not worry too much your African Malawi plant is doing great. I would imagine 4th week in to flower would be end of stretch and perhaps a second tier will help keep tops low enough away from the light. Am preparing mine the same way just now. Look forward to watching the plant fill in and build her buds over the coming weeks. Malawi is such a great plant I am confident you will enjoy a bountyfull harvest of the finest African herb that will reward all your patience and careful works now. Happy growing!!!

onavelzy

Veteran
Onavelzy, hold strong and do not worry too much your African Malawi plant is doing great. I would imagine 4th week in to flower would be end of stretch and perhaps a second tier will help keep tops low enough away from the light. Am preparing mine the same way just now. Look forward to watching the plant fill in and build her buds over the coming weeks. Malawi is such a great plant I am confident you will enjoy a bountyfull harvest of the finest African herb that will reward all your patience and careful works now. Happy growing!!!

Ok, I have enough room to raise the light a fair amount still. A second tier would let me do some evening out of the canopy but I don't know if they will all get that high. I'll give it a try on Tuesday. Gotta work tomorrow.

Thanks for the encouragement ULMW. I'm happy with how its going so far. I haven't seen any new deficiency problems.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran

Hi ULMW,

Your Malawi fem seedlings are looking very healthy in late June.
Thanks for your updates. Have a great start of week :)

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I think the leads have grown a foot since the last photo on 6/27:
How long after the first three weeks can the stretch go?

Hi onavelzy,

Beautiful Malawi SCROG, your plants look very healthy and enjoying your feeding, well done. Malawi usually finishes the stretching after the first 3-4 weeks of switching to flowering. Now they will concentrate in producing the bud sites.

Thanks for sharing youu progresses with Malawi, and please feel free to ask in case you have any doubt. Best wishes! ;)

onavelzy

Veteran
Have you got it on 11/13 or less? that helps.

I switched to 11/13 around a week ago. They look to be going into legit flower formation now. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm open to any and all advice, suggestion and critique.

Hi onavelzy,

Beautiful Malawi SCROG, your plants look very healthy and enjoying your feeding, well done. Malawi usually finishes the stretching after the first 3-4 weeks of switching to flowering. Now they will concentrate in producing the bud sites.

Thanks for sharing youu progresses with Malawi, and please feel free to ask in case you have any doubt. Best wishes! ;)

Lol, really, it's thank you for sharing Dubi. For sharing the stable, powerful and bountiful genetics. Thank you even more for sharing your time and experience with us here in these Ace threads.

I appreciate the compliment on the plants. As the saying goes, I've just tried to stay out of their way and let them do what they do best.

Best wishes to you as well. Best wishes to all the intrepid landrace growers who're willing move past the usual and go for the primal.

I've been thinking about making a cross with malawi, but currently theres only feminized breeders packs in stock.
Is there any negatives for using femmed plant for breeding?
No there are no negatives - a female plant is a female plant regardless of how it was created. Unless you plan to breed more feminized plants, you will still need to find a male though. :tiphat: