What's new

straight from a pyschatrists mouth: sativa is bad for antipsychotics users

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like Himalayan strains without trout but I never liked trout. :smoke: The Nepal area strains have a real nice feel to them. Not racy or paranoid. Still sativa though.

They have a feeling unique to that area. SE Asian are a different vibe. The Burmese from ILE is a favorite of mine and I suppose the RSC Burmese is the same thing.

cbotany

I use very trippy weed almost daily, and suffer from a few things, like all medicines its a double edge sword, sometimes it helps sometimes its just smoking, for me, what i grow can help me break through emotional barriers and cry, feel, and deal with things i push down, feel fear knowing its going to pass, and sometimes i feel a connection to god and a strengthening of faith. But everyone reacts differently, some weed makes me way worse, I don't smoke peoples weed unless i really trust them, and I know mostly how i'll react to my strains, Christianity and "sativa" weed helps me alot. But whats good for the goose isn't always good for the gander. Some people respond well to traditional medicine, some don't. Some people have worsening symptoms with cannabis, some don't. I've had people tell me directly I function better with cannabis when i'm not overdoing it. But thats not everyone. Find someone you trust and listen.

cbotany

you heard it from Larry, I switched from indica from sativa from a heavy antipsychotic regime and I feel so much better

this doctor works with a medicare insured company and sadly I cannot give out any names or relevant info

I may not be as creative as I can normally be, I'm more sedated but I can think clearer and im less paranoid

I can also help tune out voices better

after this crop of auto bubblegum im growing nothing but indica, leaving the sativa for special occasion

the best I can imagine would be a 20/80 sativa indica with a lot of cbd for me, so ill be hitting the seeds

good luck and happy holidays
If I can make one suggestion, we're not all alike, but CBDV seems to help me alot, but I don't know if it will help in your case at all, Much love brother, I don't want to push anything on you, but god loves you and you're gonna make it one way or another.

RobFromTX

Im no medical expert, but I would imagine the everclimbing thc levels are whats counteracting antipsychotics. Ive seen a few people have some seriously bad trips after smoking commercial indicas. Ive never seen that happen with the moderate thc sativas i grow. Infact they have a quite calming effect for most of them. Time will tell though. They keep breeding weed to be so much stronger, it will look like rock candy in a few years

Nextgeneration73

In my personal experience taking anti psychotics at high doses is a no no to experience the same level weed high, but at small doses the trippy psychedelic effects will definitely take over... Best to wait maybe more than a few hours after the small dose of antipsychotic to really reach that other realm though... I've been on and off them.... My second time getting on anti psychotics was only because I believed in far too many spiritual things and spoke my mind a lot, and not because I felt like I needed them, but right now I'm independent and can go off them whenever I want but I'm only taking them at very very small dosages (the antipsychotics) because I'm more myself that way, even my OCD is more mild that way.... And best of all weed is trippy as hell that way.... Some indicas actually made any symptoms of anything I had worse while Sativa's seems to treat everything for me.... It's both psychedelic but yet somehow it removes any unwanted PTSD OCD or other issues... Even smoking only once every month does that... CBD hemp type stuff doesn't help at all... But a psychedelic strain would always fix my issues or lower them for a long long time better than any pharmaceutical medication ever would.... Honestly though that's not the case for everyone but for me it's a different story.... I wasn't always able to find trippy Sativa strains during my lifetime but whenever I did it helped better than any medication.... I'm sorry to say but those psychiatrists are not always right....

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Trippy sativas tend to motivate and inspire me to do things. And elevate my mood and senses. Sedative and calming strains tend to make me sad and feel useless without any energy or motivation. Of course there is a time and a place for everything. I prefer to not partake in varieties that pull away from my life energy.

Nextgeneration73

Trippy sativas tend to motivate and inspire me to do things. And elevate my mood and senses. Sedative and calming strains tend to make me sad and feel useless without any energy or motivation. Of course there is a time and a place for everything. I prefer to not partake in varieties that pull away from my life energy.
Exactly brother.... I feel that same exact way....

T. Rence-Hill

you heard it from Larry, I switched from indica from sativa from a heavy antipsychotic regime and I feel so much better

this doctor works with a medicare insured company and sadly I cannot give out any names or relevant info

I may not be as creative as I can normally be, I'm more sedated but I can think clearer and im less paranoid

I can also help tune out voices better

after this crop of auto bubblegum im growing nothing but indica, leaving the sativa for special occasion

the best I can imagine would be a 20/80 sativa indica with a lot of cbd for me, so ill be hitting the seeds

good luck and happy holidays
If you tend to psychosis I would actually try not smoking cannabis at all but ok, if smoking whatever you call Indica makes you feel good I'm not gonna try and talk you out of it

A psychatrist that makes a statement like this however I woul avoid at any cost. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Sativa and Indica are in no way well defined terms from a pharmaceutic / psychatric point of view. This whole Indica/ Sativa thing is at best an oversimplification and extremely misleading. It is stoner science. You will find anything from uplifting to sedative and relaxing, from euphorizing to paranoia inducing etc etc both in what we call Sativas and Indicas nowadays.

Plus most cultivars you can buy in seed form nowadays will most likely be polyhybrids and will throw a literally endless number of chemotypes that can have totally different effects, especially if you are not just taking into account THC and CBD but other metabolites as well.That also goes for a lot of varieties that are being sold as landraces/ heirlooms etc these days.

Practically no seed variety you can buy these days has been breed thoroughly enough to be used or even recommended as a pharmaceutic from seed.

Plus growing environment plays a role.

Plus everyone is different. I once gave sb a sample of OTH and he literally said a week after, thank you it made me sleepy, finally I could sleep well.

I agree that there are "Sativas" out there that can make me paranoid and lead to increased heart rate and even panics attacks, for example Super Lemon Haze.

But that can happen with certain Afghanis too.

From a pharmaceutic view if at all we should be talking distinct clones grown in standardized conditions

Last edited:

RobFromTX

As someone who worked in a state hospital for 3 years i can say cannabis definitely has the potential to help people with a full spectrum of psychotic issues. Its all about dosage and timing. I know a bi polar guy it helps tremendously. Caffeine is the real problem, and i saw it affect some patients quite negatively, but nobody wants to hear that bad noise 😁

T. Rence-Hill

My theory is that we are all psychotic anyway - anything with a brain is psychotic.(has the capacity to be)
Yeah that's nonsense, sorry. I agree that defining some people as normal and others as not is always problematic but theres definitions for psychosis, there are risk factors etc. Everyone is not psychotic. Everyone has an an ever dynamic individual risk of developing mental diseases.

And the best advice you can give to sb who says he is psychotic in an online forum is not to smoke cannabis at all.

Last edited:

T. Rence-Hill

As someone who worked in a state hospital for 3 years i can say cannabis definitely has the potential to help people with a full spectrum of psychotic issues. Its all about dosage and timing. I know a bi polar guy it helps tremendously. Caffeine is the real problem, and i saw it affect some patients quite negatively, but nobody wants to hear that bad noise 😁
I agree, under medical surveillance, in agreement with your doctor, as part of a therapy. But not just self medication.

T. Rence-Hill

Definitely. It is a huge difference whether you smoke 10 percent or 25 percent THC cannabis. But still I would not recommend even lower dosages to sb I don't know over an online foru.
Im no medical expert, but I would imagine the everclimbing thc levels are whats counteracting antipsychotics. Ive seen a few people have some seriously bad trips after smoking commercial indicas. Ive never seen that happen with the moderate thc sativas i grow. Infact they have a quite calming effect for most of them. Time will tell though. They keep breeding weed to be so much stronger, it will look like rock candy in a few years

RobFromTX

I agree, under medical surveillance, in agreement with your doctor, as part of a therapy. But not just self medication.

Its not going to help anybody anymore.... and it will stop being enjoyable altogether.... if they keep making it stronger and its destroying the medicinal value. Thats why its more important than ever to preserve landraces. Some of the best stuff ive grown was only 8-10% thc. Just one mans perspective. In a few years time the shits gonna look like rock candy.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Its not going to help anybody anymore.... and it will stop being enjoyable altogether.... if they keep making it stronger and its destroying the medicinal value. Thats why its more important than ever to preserve landraces. Some of the best stuff ive grown was only 8-10% thc. Just one mans perspective. In a few years time the shits gonna look like rock candy.
Agreed. The industry needs to learn that the variation in effects is far more relevant than thc numbers.

T. Rence-Hill

Landraces are best preserved in the areas they are traditionally cultivated, you can't preserve a landrace in a tent. You need thousands of individuals to preserve its genepool, unfortunately. However you can degrade the THC level of any given polyhbrid pretty quickly via selection and/ or by growing it in northern latitudes for a couple of generations, it will revert to moderate levels.

But other than that I totally agree. When I was young I thought the stronger the better, nowadays I appreciate moderate percentages.

RobFromTX

Agreed. The industry needs to learn that the variation in effects is far more relevant than thc numbers.

I remember reading an article years ago that said the higher the thc percentages the more it destroys the natural terpenes of the plant? I don't know anything about the science behind that but it sure seems believable. All these high grade hybrids make me feel the same way, dreary and unmotivated

T. Rence-Hill

I remember reading an article years ago that said higher the thc percentages the more it destroys the natural terpenes of the plant? I don't know anything about the science behind that but its believable. All these high grade hydrids make me feel the same way, dreary and unmotivated
I think that some of them are predecessors of THC and are metabolized to THC, so the more of them is converted to THC the less of them remains in the final product but I am no expert on this, there's others there eho might want to chime in

RobFromTX

I think that some of them are predecessors of THC and are metabolized to THC, so the more of them is converted to THC the less of them remains in the final product but I am no expert on this, there's others there eho might want to chime in

Makes sense to me friend. Those fancy hybrids smell great and the taste is delicious, and thats where the distinction ends with me. But im getting older and out of date. Maybe 40 is really the new 60 😅

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I remember reading an article years ago that said the higher the thc percentages the more it destroys the natural terpenes of the plant? I don't know anything about the science behind that but it sure seems believable. All these high grade hybrids make me feel the same way, dreary and unmotivated
I once read that that terpenes were like the steering wheel and cannabinoids are like the gas pedal. Which is just a generalization. But it makes sense. I think it also makes sense that the plant is only capable of producing so much of a particular compound before it starts inhibiting its ability to produce others. And certain compounds can magnify or nullify another. A lot going on and most breeders are going for things like raw potency, bag appeal and yield. Totally missing the point.

I would assume in a blind taste test where you simply ask users which had the most enjoyable effect it would not correlate with what looks the nicest in a jar to the average consumer.

T. Rence-Hill

I once read that that terpenes were like the steering wheel and cannabinoids are like the gas pedal. Which is just a generalization. But it makes sense. I think it also makes sense that the plant is only capable of producing so much of a particular compound before it starts inhibiting its ability to produce others. And certain compounds can magnify or nullify another. A lot going on and most breeders are going for things like raw potency, bag appeal and yield. Totally missing the point.

I would assume in a blind taste test where you simply ask users which had the most enjoyable effect it would not correlate with what looks the nicest in a jar to the average consumer.
Could be.

It could also be that this whole terpene thing is overrated, afaik there is very little scientific evidence until now that different terpenes when combusted or evaporated and inhaled alter the effect of THC the way many people seem to believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it could also simply be THC dosage and THC/ CBD/ CBN ratio.

Whatever it is, it is definitely not as simple as this whole Sativa vs Indica thing. For example just ask people who have decades of experience of growing South East Asian varieties and insist on knowing long flowering, lanky narrow leaf phenotypse that are sedative/relaxing/narcotic

Latest posts

Latest posts