What's new

Persistent leaf issue...A phenotype trait or other?

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Scientist said:
Hm this is a real headscratcher. Some pics show symptoms of potassium def. maybe due to too much N or more likely high Na concentration in the soil. The pic with the fat bud!!, the leaf with necrotic spots and chlorosis most visable > K def.The leaf curling and half colored leaves reminds me of photoperiod stress. As for the spaulting sorta thing i dunno. I had a Bog LSD that did the same thing week two or three of veg, then went away. Maybe its the illusive virus! good luck mang, fat bud!

Were you talking about his pics? My pics? Both of our pics?

beancounter

Veteran
well, personaly, I don't think it's a virus..

I think that most likely it's a slight 'chimera' mutation, that is amplified under stressed conditions, or shortages of mg or other micros..

I've seen this happen time again on BB crosses, and also on other various hybrids.. I've seen it show in flower on a clone then not show the next time i flower the same clone, when i've learned to dial the clone in a bit better..

I don't think it's anything to worry about, it doesn't affect the plant much at all besides making 1-2 leaves about 10-50% less efficient, but I've never seen it make a difference in bud size comparing colas with and without the issue on the same plant..

so plants will do it regardless, when the mutation is strong.. i've seen the curling on brand new seed plants, 1 plant of 10 seeds, etc..

I'm not discounting the fact that cannabis can pick up viruses, they most definately can..

But I do believe viruses will cause much more severe symptoms, not jus a few curly and discoloured leaves.. If IGT was having other issues like slow veg growth, slow or no rooting for clones, low flower production, or disfigured flowers, then I'd be more likely to believe it was due to a virus..

good luck, but i wouldn't worry about it..

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
beancounter said:
well, personaly, I don't think it's a virus..

I think that most likely it's a slight 'chimera' mutation, that is amplified under stressed conditions, or shortages of mg or other micros..

I've seen this happen time again on BB crosses, and also on other various hybrids.. I've seen it show in flower on a clone then not show the next time i flower the same clone, when i've learned to dial the clone in a bit better..

I don't think it's anything to worry about, it doesn't affect the plant much at all besides making 1-2 leaves about 10-50% less efficient, but I've never seen it make a difference in bud size comparing colas with and without the issue on the same plant..

so plants will do it regardless, when the mutation is strong.. i've seen the curling on brand new seed plants, 1 plant of 10 seeds, etc..

I'm not discounting the fact that cannabis can pick up viruses, they most definately can..

But I do believe viruses will cause much more severe symptoms, not jus a few curly and discoloured leaves.. If IGT was having other issues like slow veg growth, slow or no rooting for clones, low flower production, or disfigured flowers, then I'd be more likely to believe it was due to a virus..

good luck, but i wouldn't worry about it..

Nice post. Yeah, no issues other than the leaves. To try something else, I bought a new combo meter (Hanna 98129 NICE METER....$125) and tossed my old pH and ppm pens. Well, after calibrating the new meter it appears that my old pH meter was fairly far out of whack (took a figure as high as .5 diff!) so I had low pH pretty reliably. I have fixed that now.
While it doesnt completely explain it (virus still possible and the pens were new at one point even with leaf problem) I think my pH issues have to be resolved before I can make any final determination to act on. Thx to everyone who posted your thoughts.

EDIT: I just installed 10 new clones so this next grow will go a long ways to figuring it out. Ill update this thread in time.

Last edited:

Scientist

oops! Itsgrowtime, I was talking bout your pics in regards to the twistyness and looking like pool water reflecting on to a wall. I'm not sure if thats clear language but thats what my lsd looked like and it wasn't a def., just some sorta weirdness that it got over early in veg. As you mentioned yours are only in mid flowering though. The chlorosis on one side of the leaf and twisting is like photoperiod stress but that can't be.

Then i mistakenly thought the other pic with the fat nug was yers too! That pic shows a lil K def., but nothing to worry bout, probably not due to lack of K but a build up of salt in the soil (if it is soil, jeez i should really try to read and remember stuff before i post)

peace :joint:

edit: i just thought about how lsd has a fair amount of BB genetics in it. I'm not sure what %, but it could be some kinda mutation in that line

Last edited:

moonymonkey

im with core 100%,u hit the nail on the head! :rasta: ...good job,and good links,yea i see some food def...magnesium,which can be a indicator,of interferance of nutrients,along with some other def,s...im with core its a virius....been there already...excellant job core!!!....moons/

sniffs

Hey guys :wave:

I know this is a super old thread but I'm trying to figure out whats going on with my DP BlueBerry girl. I think she's a "mutant", shes still in veg and I just let her go crazy because the mutant traits have taken over so bad I think im just gonna try and snag a few clones off her(to see if the mutant-ness goes away maybe after cloning?) and then I'm gonna chop her cause shes 4ft tall and my tent is only 6.5ft tall and I havent even started flowering her yet. Heres some pics of her when she was a lil' girl and she's had the mutant traits ever since she popped out of the shell(along with my other BB seed I popped, but that one was 10x worse than this one and was growing SUPER SUPER slow so I threw her). I'll try and get more pics of her later tonight but heres some now:

I don't think this is the "virus" talked about previously in this thread because the leaves haven't ever yellowed, they just grow all crazy and out of shape, and almost look like there has been some sort of clear water/liquid dragged across them...

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Scientist said:
Here's that lsd with weirdness. Dunno if it was virus related.

:chin:
Do you have any updates on this Scientist? I have one that is very similar to this one that I know is TMV because it is next to one that has it, the first run from seed was fine but now it has the deformities. Different plants show the virus in different ways.... Sativas can be real ugly......

Skipload

You have a virus. Dont pollute your cloning gel or micro scissors with it. Pinch off the infected leaves. treat the plant with extreme prejudice.
Sniffs problem may not be viral. I have no clue.

phup

Did you have any luck figuring out your problem? From your pics I have the identical problem with many of my plants and I know its not a ph issue.

B

Blue Dot

What do grape growers do when they have a virus?

The same thing that your body does when it has a virus, it cooks the virus with elevated temperature (fever).

Your body is usually 98.6 degrees. When infected with a virus your body temp may rise to 106 degrees. Why?

Because most all viruses have a vary narrow window of temperature at which they can survive. This includes plant viruses.

So, cook your plant, give it a fever. Take a clone and incubate the entire clone in 110 degree heat just to the brink of killing your plant (better yet, take an apical meristem clip and incubate at a MUCH higher temp (150 degrees?) then tissue culture that bit of plant matter into a viable clone) then clone exponentially from that sanitary clone and hopefully all your future clones will be virus free.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Did you have any luck figuring out your problem? From your pics I have the identical problem with many of my plants and I know its not a ph issue.

Yeah wow old thread lol.

I still have the same issue with plants from the same genetics and yes its a virus. I think its Tobacco Mosaic Virus. Some think it's some other virus. Doesn't really matter tho....still a virus. It's not terrible and doesnt seem to affect yield much. I just make a point to NOT select clones that show the leaf mutation on the mother. A mutated clone won't grow very well at all. Normal clones will grow normally with a few messed up leaves here and there.

G

Greyskull

I still have the same issue with plants from the same genetics and yes its a virus. I think its Tobacco Mosaic Virus. Some think it's some other virus. Doesn't really matter tho....still a virus. It's not terrible and doesnt seem to affect yield much. I just make a point to NOT select clones that show the leaf mutation on the mother. A mutated clone won't grow very well at all. Normal clones will grow normally with a few messed up leaves here and there.

i agree with IGT....

HueJass

Old thread, but glad I found it cuz I have been scratching my head on the same symptom as the OP for a year. It only happens when I have them growing really healthy and green with amply amounts of N and it never seems to have too much negative effect on my yields. The strain is apparently KKSC, but it makes me wonder if I have the real KKSC cuz I have never seen these mutations on anyone elses grows with the same strain. It hasn't spread in the year I have had the strain either and I thought viruses spread, or, maybe they don't?

HumboldtLove

Ive been having this problem for MONTHS and i want to scream!!!! i actually had the idea that it may be a virus a long time ago because it seemed to start in a small place and spread ... its now destroyed multiple runs and my mom tent just had to get chopped :(

WHAT DO I DO NOW?!?! how do i break the cycle of this!??! it happens in week 2-3 of flower or in long term veg plants. ive tried cal mag, ive tried monitoring ph closely, i use soil. it always looks like nitro burn bug this last week i cut all nutes in half of usual because i thought it was burn... then i walk in my room last night (2 days ago it was gorgeous) and its absolute horror!!!! I keep reading people saying it doenst affect yield but it actually really does! buds once dehydrated are not crystally, theyre all spindally and dont taste right. but the plants w.o the issue have gorgeous full nugs that smell and taste right :( im gonna figure out how to post a pic. i just joined today cos im at my wits end!

HumboldtLove

i thought i had corrected the problem. the whole room was looking gorgeous them BAM beginning of week 3 it morphs into weed monster

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey guys :wave:

I know this is a super old thread but I'm trying to figure out whats going on with my DP BlueBerry girl. I think she's a "mutant", shes still in veg and I just let her go crazy because the mutant traits have taken over so bad I think im just gonna try and snag a few clones off her(to see if the mutant-ness goes away maybe after cloning?) and then I'm gonna chop her cause shes 4ft tall and my tent is only 6.5ft tall and I havent even started flowering her yet. Heres some pics of her when she was a lil' girl and she's had the mutant traits ever since she popped out of the shell(along with my other BB seed I popped, but that one was 10x worse than this one and was growing SUPER SUPER slow so I threw her). I'll try and get more pics of her later tonight but heres some now:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/44862DSCN0773-thumb.JPG]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/44862DSCN0736-thumb.JPG]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/44862DSCN0735-thumb.JPG]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/44862DSCN0708-thumb.JPG]View Image[/url]

I don't think this is the "virus" talked about previously in this thread because the leaves haven't ever yellowed, they just grow all crazy and out of shape, and almost look like there has been some sort of clear water/liquid dragged across them...

^^^ broad mites.