What's new

Remove HOT AIR 6 inch Heat Exchanger

pyite20v

Wow great thread, we were thinking about this last night and came on here to research this.

One question we had was about how this would add humidity to the room? If you are running hot air over the coils that quickly cools, wouldnt that add humidity? Or maybe not because the air is the all the same air thats already in the room?

B

Bob Smith

No, it doesn't add any humidity to the room - however, if you have high humidity and the water running through the coils is much cooler than the grow room air, the metal will sweat.

Check out the hydroinnovations FAQs and all this is covered pretty in-depth in them.

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
Wow great thread, we were thinking about this last night and came on here to research this.

One question we had was about how this would add humidity to the room? If you are running hot air over the coils that quickly cools, wouldnt that add humidity? Or maybe not because the air is the all the same air thats already in the room?

I would not say it adds no humidity, it is propelling moisture into your environment as a tool to reduce heat.
I have a dehumidifier so I'll let ya know if it's a major RH increaser or not.
Should have my unit today or tomorrow.

B

Bob Smith

I would not say it adds no humidity, it is propelling moisture into your environment as a tool to reduce heat.
I have a dehumidifier so I'll let ya know if it's a major RH increaser or not.
Should have my unit today or tomorrow.

Hey man, let's not get into this again - this unit does not add humidity to your room - it doesn't propel moisture, it transfers heat from the air to the water inside the coils.

You don't believe me, read question #3 from FAQs of the makers of the unit:

http://hydroinnovations.com/faq/11072010-HI-FAQs.pdf

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
hey bfriendly,

im a big fan of hydro innovations, they make great products, but is there a reason you made 2 threads promoting the icebox?

B

Bob Smith

hey bfriendly,

im a big fan of hydro innovations, they make great products, but is there a reason you made 2 threads promoting the icebox?

I believe he's getting one delivered in a day or two and is kind of excited, but I still can't believe that he doesn't seem to understand how they work.

B. Friendly

Veteran
hey bfriendly,

one got shut down,
another they changed the name(this one) and took out the video so I added it again in post 2
and I had to properly do a thread with the video,

mods made me do it

yup my unit was not here today but gotta be here tomorrow.

I have not found a cheaper unit than the ICE BOX but this is the first time I used their name

oh in the video it's not an ice box but a unit from bestcoastgrowers.com it was 15bucks more

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
The first one was shut down due to flame wars and TOU violations. I re-opened it but B asked me to keep it closed.

The videos from this one have been removed because videos go in the video section of the Toker's Den.

B. Friendly

Veteran
no bull shit the item works,

I just have it hanging in my room, here's another style of using it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmHp2ydAv1s&feature=related

you can see the green water in and out hoses

just got a 90cfm fan, like a little better than average bathroom fan. lol not the best

but it has been making a 3-4 degree temp. reduction from 80 down to 76 degrees

now if i used a 400cfm fan, like a blower fan, this would do 7-10 degrees down easy. And if added a water chiller in reservoir, that would rock. Right now going drain to waste, tap water in and just letting run off flow out side.

pretty girls, hmmm almost ready

Attachments

• 100_0456 (2).jpg
    100_0456 (2).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_0457.jpg
    100_0457.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_0458.jpg
    100_0458.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_0459.jpg
    100_0459.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_0466.jpg
    100_0466.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_0467.jpg
    100_0467.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_0468.jpg
    100_0468.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_0469.jpg
    100_0469.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_0470.jpg
    100_0470.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 9

B. Friendly

Veteran
let it run over night and my temps are low 70's,

I guess my bulbs could not heat up the room once it was chilled over night.

for a $60 bathroom fan 90cfm and $150 on the unit it's a cheap fix for a couple hundred bucks... not to shabby.

that's a drop from 80 to 72 degrees. that I like.

B. Friendly

Veteran
i am not sure, it's being run off an outside house tap to a hose and in the show.
but I have the pressure at half

choch

Sounds like you need to add a solenoid controlled by a tstat to at least stop wasting the water when you aren't cooling.

B. Friendly

Veteran
Sounds like you need to add a solenoid controlled by a tstat to at least stop wasting the water when you aren't cooling.

yeah a more expensive unit would come with a solenoid connected to a temperature stat. that way you get the ideal temps and the water turns off and on controlling temps...

might look at home depot and the cost of a cheap one.

luckily here there is no water metering. it's a waste but it goes back into the ocean, then into the sky, then into rain and starts all over again, that's why I am not feeling to wasteful.
But collecting rain water was how it was done up until 100 years ago. might want to think of blaming our govt's for some of the wastefulness, remembering they love metering...

don't water the lawn or garden, instead run a/c with chill fans. lol

Last edited:

Tilt

If I had a in ground pool I would run the lines out to it some how then I would have a heated pool and a cool grow room best of both worlds. Yeah boy.

Side note. I have worked in facilities that had equipment that was water cooled. They had two separate lines, one was chilled water hooked up to Liebert unit, and the other was the waste heat water. One place had a resevoir and cooling tower for there water.

B. Friendly

Veteran
I got one of those for my 8" IceBox I ordered, along with a 1 hp EcoPlus chiller (the new white commercial model). Looking forward to seeing how well it works :)
Really really want to know how this setup works. pics when it's going please. Updates when it's going...
damn that sounds like the Cadillac model bro. should make a serious dent in temps
mine works on a bathroom fan, yours will be cool bro.

Puff on

yeah a more expensive unit would come with a solenoid connected to a temperature stat. that way you get the ideal temps and the water turns off and on controlling temps...

might look at home depot and the cost of a cheap one.

luckily here there is no water metering. it's a waste but it goes back into the ocean, then into the sky, then into rain and starts all over again, that's why I am not feeling to wasteful.
But collecting rain water was how it was done up until 100 years ago. might want to think of blaming our govt's for some of the wastefulness, remembering they love metering...

don't water the lawn or garden, instead run a/c with chill fans. lol

For $70 you can be setup with a Lux thermostat and a 3/4" solenoid (120V) off of ebay - wire the solenoid and fan to the thermostat, and that way you're only using water (and electricity) when it's needed.

This is Bob, by the way........glad to hear your unit is working for you, although I'd definitely look into making it more efficient as I outlined above.

spurr

Veteran
spurr said:
got one of those for my 8" IceBox I ordered, along with a 1 hp EcoPlus chiller (the new white commercial model). Looking forward to seeing how well it works

Really really want to know how this setup works. pics when it's going please. Updates when it's going...
damn that sounds like the Cadillac model bro. should make a serious dent in temps
mine works on a bathroom fan, yours will be cool bro.

Puff on

Yea I plan on making a journal thread for setting up my new grow; I am testing a 5x5 HydroHut (silver). I spend a bunch of money on this new grow, over $5k with all the bells and whistles like Co2 w/CHHC-4, UV-b, etc. I am setting up the Icebox with a 2245 gph Ecoplus pump (~3/10 hp) and the chiller with the appropriate sized pump of 1056 gph (also an Ecoplus). Both pumps will be in the 50gal rez; the chiller will be in a separate bedroom (hosing through the wall) along with the Galaxy select-a-watt ballast. The Icebox, fan and reflector will be setup as so in my closed circuit room:

air ->-> [==reflector==]{##IceBox#}(~~Fan~~) ->-> air