What's new

new england growers:regional info part 2

S

sow the seeds

Hey new englanders! Almost time for this thread to really start rollin again (hopefully). It was nice out today so I went and began prepping a few of my spots. I'm thinking I can get some monsters out of them. Its in a marshy area that gets sun sunrise to sunset, is ridiculously hard to get to, and always has about an inch of water where my babies will be so hopefully not too many trips to visit them. Hoping not too much mold as well. The air movement is good through the area as its wide open.

This spot isn't extremely far away from civilization but it takes about 30 minutes to walk 10 feet into the brush so I'm hoping no one will go out there. Hopefully the smell won't blow too far either. My allergies are going crazy after clearing all the crap out lol.

Ramero420: My genetics will be a mix of clones from friends and also guerilla gold #2 from the member Greens on here. Do a search for his thread in the outdoor forum and you can find out more about the guerilla gold. Hes in canada as well.

I think I'm gonna try to order some females seeds easy sativa and nirvana papaya before the season starts as well because my papaya beans ended up being tossed due to a security risk.

P

PersonalSmoke

ramero420 said:
Where do you guys get your genetics from? I have a bag full of seeds that i have picked out of different buds i have purchased over the last year, but i always read about all of these crazy strains that all of you are growing. I was going to have a friend of mine in canada mail me some seeds but there are no seed shops around where she lives and she does not want them delivered to her before sending them to me. I'm not so sure i trust the whole mail order seed idea, but maybe i should? i want to start my seedlings within the next month so i may just be stuck with using the bagseed.. :confused:

Most people here use seedbay or seedboutique. I've never used him but I've also heard good things about Dr. Chronic.

ramero420

I checked out seedbay and seedboutique, but i dont think it owuld be wise to leave a paper trail so I'm a little iffy on the whole credit card idea. do any of you use credit cards or do u just send in money orders?

clearcutter

ramero420 said:
I checked out seedbay and seedboutique, but i dont think it owuld be wise to leave a paper trail so I'm a little iffy on the whole credit card idea. do any of you use credit cards or do u just send in money orders?
Just send a money order and you shouldn't have any problems.

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey, I recently got my laptop fixed after being out of commission for 2 yrs.
I just found specific strain comments from the long-running OG New England Growers thread I edited out. This is from '03- maybe '04 seasons. Cool to read:
“local purple strain, LUI and White Russian, some mold”

“got a few Heri's and and a few SCBB. Both doing well. I've got a "mini" of each that are full of buds. They were sexed before put outside in the spring and these just never grew. They just budded. I'm pleased and have ordered more seeds of both.
Even got a few Apollos going. One's a 6' monster in a 5 gallon bucket. Hoping for that "genius" pheno.
Early Riser, Passion #1 and LUI will be ready in 2 weeks. Last feeding of guano yesterday. Sensi Star is behind everything and just starting to show flowers.”

“Passion is the best for our location. I give it a B-. Shaman and Purple #1 get a C-. Too high maintence. I vist the garden every 2 to 3 weeks.”

“One fat plant of Fast Freddie I harvested is completely mold. The buds looked good when I picked them but the insides are completely moldy. Looks like I will have about 3 ounces of bud to make hash from. Bummer. Another plant looks great.

“The Early Risers are nice and fat, nice odor and mold free - they look promising. Drying nice.

Passion #1 - Jury remains out on these. Purple color but they do not look real impressive. Smells like hemp.

Guerrillas Gusto got hit with a touch of mold. Nice buds.”

“Here is an update on the Hex I bought on Cbay from Rydell. This strain grows huge if you want it to These were all started the same day the first 3 are 12-13ft tall as the last 2 are under 2ft. I wanted to see if I shocked the hell out of a few If they would turn male and also wanted to see If they would flower at the same time as the bigger ones that wernt shocked. Well they didnt turn male and they flowered at the same time and the buds are growing about the same on both. This strain is a keeper in my book. Looks like you can easily get over 2lbs on this one. “

“i picked my passion #1 plants. the purple one was on the dying side. about 10 days ago it looked like it was ready but i left it in so the seeds would mature more. it was the only purple one and more mature than the other ones.i picked some small buds off 1 of my mangos and i noticed i will be getting some seeds from that too. the sensi seed plants are looking real nice, i guess i can't bitch about them. another mango (from the sensi patch) looks like it too will get a few seeds.afghani's look good too.”

“i harvested a trainwreck x indiga as it was molding. No mold on any of my c99 plants. “

“Early tastes with excellent results on Salmon Creek Big Bud, Apollo11 and LUI. LUI picked early due to mold but very smooth smoke. Smoke any of yours yet champlain? All Early Riser, some Heri, some Salmon Creek Big Bud, a Heaven (dissapointment), some Passion #1 and some LUI harvested. Nice big colas on the Early Riser. A couple of spots found on a Cindy99 and a Bubblegum too. Apollo 11's coming along nicely with no sign of mold.”

“Smoked some of the Passion #1 tonight. Only been drying a week. Buds are purple but airy, minimal smell and taste, but a mindnumbing buzz. I can feel it in my jaw and head. The buzz suprised me as the buds only looked so-so. No mold. The strain was tough to grow, lacking vigor but the buzz might have made up for it.”

“grew a passion as well this year, not really happy with the strain. the one plant that pulled through well enough to keep is beautiful”

“ i started smoking some of the purple dutch passion #1 bud i picked on sept. 5th- the purple parts. mine are a nice high, earthy tasting, kinda perfumey smelling. “

“** I puffed on some Early Riser this afternoon and it made me want to get on my bike and ride! This may be my pick strain for the season. Vigorous, hardy, high yielding, mold resistant. Monster plants. The only negative is a poor (50%) germination. No problem - at $30 pack.”

“Agree completely with your Early Riser report. A definite keeper and like you I had bad germ rate. In early smoke test I was very impressed. Smoke a little harsh. In fact, harshest so far, but very nice head. Used a lot of guanos for flowering. Seems to have given a good smooth taste to all but the Early Riser. Will grow this one again next year.”

“Surprisingly, Sensi Star and Salmon Creek Big Bud show no signs of mold (unlike almost everything else). Both have those big thick Indica type buds that seem to be a mold magnet like the LUI's. Both so resiny that water just runs off them. Never knew Sensi Star was mold resistant but there's not much feedback on growing them outside at all.”

“my c99 plants only had one small spot of mold.”

“ swt#3: they say its very mold resistant... indoors it probably is, but it is not as good with mold outdoors IMHO.”

“I grew sensi star outdoors last year. and it got moldy. but last year was much more humid and more rain in the fall. this fall is better.

the sensi star mold started late when the buds got real big. and it started from deep within the buds. probably the caterpillars got it started. they started most of the mold. i had a lot of caterpillars last year. they burrowed up the stem and then broke out of the stem with their shit all over and the mold started.”

“Passion #1 is a nice smooth smoke. Good in the AM. Not the most potent but nice day time high.”

“i found cindy to be very mold resistant and will be growing it again along with a few special crosses.”

Strains that did not work out for me:
- BCSC Fast Freddie. Chunky with nice resin, great yield, early to mid Sept. harvest, nice stoney buzz - but they get hit hard with mold. They may be better as an great indoor plant. I have a lot of moldy bud that will be turned into bubblehash. I grew this for 2 seasons and I had simliar results, except they finished later last year ~ the end of Sept, 1st of Oct. It would be an awesome strain, except the mold....
- Dutch Passion Hollands Hope. I did not have good luck with this last season. Not very vigorous. Nice Purple colors but airy, grassy smelling buds. So-so buzz. It is mold resistant.
- Guerrilas Gusto. Medicore in several attributes. Yes, you will get buds, but they are just OK. Stoney, eye droop buzz. Mininimal taste. OK mold resistance. Very leafy, manicuring is a chore.
- Passion #1 - Not real vigorous. Always suffers transplant shock in the spring. Mold resistant. Purple color. Citrus, grassy scent. Good strong stone. Low yield. Maybe in a backyard with daily TLC, this would be stellar, but not in my conditions.”

“Early Riser was the best I have grown so far outdoors. I will grow it again and it will fit in with my long term plans for the great outdoors.”

“My Apollo's didn't yield squat. They were picked early due to mold. Maybe in a backyard with daily TLC, this would be stellar, but not in my conditions."

“P#1 (passion) as i call it.
in the backyard, it grew so nice and pretty it was picture perfect. the smoke smells awesome.”

“Passion #1 pretty good in my opinion. Not a huge producer but nice day time buz and nice taste. No mold issues.
Agree - Early Riser a winner and will grow again. Again not huge producer. Mold at end but no real problem.”

“I have been puffing the Passion #1 exclusively today. Take away the purple color and my buds would look like real bunk. It hits hard at first but then settles down with a mildly spacey stone. Very good buzz. Good for getting some light work done. No taste.”

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very nice, YeshijaH! Any mold problems? The diesel I ran 2 yrs ago molded heavily, but was ridiculously potent.
Just put my seedlings in the cold frame today. Good overcast day for them to get used to the power of mother sun! :D

YeshijaH

She was actually started in June and she grew 8 feet in one moon's time. This is compared to the one I started in late april that went 6 inches by nov, Amazing! this plant was by far the best adapted to noth east I ever accomplished. No mold. Selected from many NYCD clones I seeded in amsterdam 2004.

ramero420

Happy 4/20 Everyone! Anyone headed out to Extravaganja tomorow in Amherst? :headbange:

Got some herb yesterday that I'm told is super silver haze, pretty heady high. Found 3 mature seeds that I can't wait to grow this year, should be starting them soon.:woohoo:

ramero420

ugh.. due to some scheduling issues with me moving i wont be able to start my plants until around the 15th of next month. I'm not very fond of the late start but i have no other choice.

What kind of Compact Fluorescent Lights do you guys reccommend for starting them indoors? My plan is to start with 100 plants in 1" peat pellets and transfer to black plastic bags when the roots start to show through the pellets (plastic bags just to make the transplant into the ground an easier task). I only intend to keep 15 to 20 of the plants but i figure if i start a lot more than i need then I can choose the healthiest looking ones. I want to harden them off to outdoor life very shortly after they finish the seedling stage.

Any suggestions for fertilizers for the veg. growth?

G

Hello All,
I am a fellow New Englander Outdoor Gardener!! Glad to have found this thread and Backcountry's Outdoor Strain Guide.Helpful threads.
I am at @ 41-42N lat,on the coast. Last yr I grew Sagamatha's Diamond head.Paradises sensi star,Greenthumbs Endless sky and Niagara,and female seeds Easy sativa.
The diamond head was very blueberry smelling and tasting.It has a good up high.I ran into mold problems with them later in the season.Yield was very good on those.
Sensi star was my favorite.The indica phenos were done beg oct.I had acouple SS sativa phenos that went deep into Oct.
The easy sativa was really nice.The plants varied yield wise but all were frosty with good bag appeal,and were finished by the middle of Sept.
I wasn't overly impressed with the niagara or endless sky?? Guess I didn't get the right phenos.The niagara did get quite large with red pistils.It could have gone longer too.
Ramero420 I made my own cfl veg light via Home depot.It is 336 watts and cost me @ 40.00 to make.pm me for details.very easy.
Have any of you fellow new englanders grown Mr Nice's "Shit"? I've got that and Early Queen from him for this yr.I also started early misty,blunderberry,ap 11 f2's,purple power,biddy early,early riser,mendecino madness,dj blueberry,thunderflo,MT x G13,rox f2's,Geurilla gold x danish passion,avalon,diablo,bonkers,romulan,and texada timewarp,blue dragon among others.
I will be selecting ,hopefully, the best of each strain,cloning them and then gifting the rest to fellow medusers.Good luck to you all...I have a feeling its going to be a weird season..budluver

G

sorry everyone..I just read the entire thread and I previously posted my plans for this yr.Friggin busy body stoners..lol

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi budluver, nice to have you posting here! :wave:
Sounds like you'll have a wonderfully varied garden this yr. Best wishes!
Did you have any mold problem's w/ the Sensi Star? I just have to believe that would be a mold magnet where I am.

Today I dug the last hole in my main plot. Last yr I had 7 holes there, but I expanded it to 10 holes this yr. I backfilled the new holes w/ old soil from the old holes, so that all the holes were 3/4 full. I then added water crystals and Espoma's Bio-Tone, stirring them in w/ a compost turner.
When I got home I mixed up equal amounts of Sun Gro's MetroMix 560 w/ coir, and Jolly Gardener's (Maine) Tree & Shrub planting mix (equal parts cow manure/sphagnum peat/humus), w/ a bit of local poultry manure, loaded that into my backpack, and will take it in tonight to top off and finish up that plot.
Then I can start on plot #2...
ramero420, I like to use Neptune's Harvest (gloucester,ma.) fish fert while vegging.
Have 24 seedlings in the cold frame, and 4 Nigerian Nightmare's under floros inside, where they will veg til solstice before going out. (photosensivity issues)

C'mon New England, show us what you're growing!

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Started all my beans for the year, 100% sucess on biddy early seeds and very good sucess on the derailed blues and MMM seed.

G

'Bling'???

'Bling'???

hey all, hope ya all have those girls veggin and ready to go outside soon! :)

so i've got two questions

1. I was reading Hightimes today a little cause it was their outdoor issue. Anyway, there was this little section on this new (im assuming clone only) strain called 'bling' thats supposedly made its way out to the northeast from B.C. I kinda gotta really interested really quick with what I read about it. So has anybody heard of, grown, or seen this strain? I'm not sure if its just HT hype and bs.

2. Anyone have any experience growing SOL SWT#3/#4 and/or blockhead out here in the NE? ABout half of my 15 have popped so far and I was just wondering if they're even worth sticking outside or if I should just try to run them indoors.

thanks for the help and good luck gettin those girls out soon!

ramero420

budluver- thats a pretty serious mix u got goin on there, i cant wait to see them pictures you'll be posting by august, or better yet, around the end of september.

highlighter- i used neptunes harvest last year. smells pretty bad but works pretty damn good, the only issue i found with it was that it attracted animals and it wouldnt surprise me to find a plant all dug up because the animal was hungry and decided to investigate the source of the aroma. aside from that it's some pretty nice stuff, and i even used it to make light mixes (1/2 to 3/4 strength) and used it as a foliar feeder. i would apply it before i went to work in the morning and 9 hours later when i got home the next set of leaves was always doubled in size. I'm not sure how true it is but on page 117 of the cannabible 2 king refers to a product called sonic bloom and explains that the frequency of bird calls in the early morning hours increase the plants ability to transpire water and oxygen, so foliar feeding works best when done really early.

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey ramero420, I always shave off some deodorant soap (irish spring) around the plants when using the fish fert. Keeps them critters at bay.

Yeah, I remember jason going off on that sonic bloom. Sounded pricey.

irishSoCo, never heard of the Bling.
The SOL gear aren't very mold resistant. The SWT#4 was supposed to be an improvement in that area, but it lowered the yield in doing so.

How to go Deft! :woohoo: This gonna be your yr? Hopin' so!

Saelin

I'm going to give some hashberry and blue bx a shot outside as well as maybe a patch or two of kush.. I'm kinda worried about the HB molding because of its bud density and high humidity here towards the end of the season but thats all part of the fun. Hopefully we don't get rain all about the end of september n early october like last year taht was a killer.

btw.. nice lookin Diesel for outdoors this part of the country.. did it finish in time?

and veg inside, go for a 4' T5 (multi if your budget allows) they make the tightest bushiest lil plants ever.. I.M.H.O.

Last edited:

ramero420

anyone on here ever order seeds through seed boutique? they want you to make a profile in order to make an order... i stopped there. any advice?

I was looking at reefermans nigerian nightmare, and gypsy nirvanas northern lights 5 x big bud. not for this years outdoor grow though, if and when i order seeds its going to be for an indoor grow around the end of the summer.

another idea i had was to possibly take clones off of my best looking outdoor plants this year and switch the clones back to veg. and grow them indoors. is this a good idea?