Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > Whats Wrong With my Seedlings?

Thread Title Search
Whats Wrong With my Seedlings? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2020, 03:08 AM #11
Clayton_Bigsby

Clayton_Bigsby will become famous soon enoughClayton_Bigsby will become famous soon enough
**UPDATE**

So today is Day 15. I still can't find out whats wrong with them. They have a weird wilt where it's less of a wilt and more of the leaves just turning downward. Some of the plants are also yellowing, especially the bottom leaves.

As of yesterday, I transplanted them just to switch the soil up and see if they respond. It's a pretty hot mix so i figured they're either going to respond well or get burnt to a crisp. Im using DankFranks bed soil mix linked here (its at the bottom of the first page of the thread):

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=258168

I was very surprised to see they all had well established root systems for 2 weeks in the 4 inch pots which leads me to believe the soil isn't the problem.

I initially turned my CO2 down but got no results so as of yesterday I turned it completely off. I also added an intake and outtake to exchange the air in the room 4 times a day. I read some people having problems with CO2 running need air exchange. Kind of debated but i figured it can't hurt and now ill have a backup incase my mini split dies.

As i mentioned earlier Im not an expert grower but im not new. This is the first grow in a new room and i have just never encountered a problem like this. Here are more recent pics of whats going on...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plant 1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	543259 Click image for larger version

Name:	Plant 2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	543260 Click image for larger version

Name:	Plant 3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	543261 Click image for larger version

Name:	Plant 4.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	543262 Click image for larger version

Name:	Plant 5.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	543263

Click image for larger version

Name:	Plant 6.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	543264 Click image for larger version

Name:	Plant 7.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	543265
Clayton_Bigsby is offline Quote

Old 07-31-2020, 09:43 PM #12
TanzanianMagic

TanzanianMagic is a glorious beacon of lightTanzanianMagic is a glorious beacon of lightTanzanianMagic is a glorious beacon of lightTanzanianMagic is a glorious beacon of lightTanzanianMagic is a glorious beacon of lightTanzanianMagic is a glorious beacon of lightTanzanianMagic is a glorious beacon of lightTanzanianMagic is a glorious beacon of lightTanzanianMagic is a glorious beacon of lightTanzanianMagic is a glorious beacon of lightTanzanianMagic is a glorious beacon of light
They're not lost.

- The roots look great.
- They all have the same problem, which would tell me it's from the feeding or from the air.
- With that root development, the pH is probably good, because it would take good P uptake and that happens at higher pH's, while otherwise the plants would look like they weren't taking up enough P and K.

So my guess it has something to do with the air. Like I said, sealed grow tents are not my specialty.

Have you tried using air exchange, to see if it makes a difference? Or put one of them outside to see how they react?

Maybe lower the temperature from F78 to F68? I don't know if plants in sealed tents are even more vulnerable to high temperatures.
TanzanianMagic is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:25 AM #13
Clayton_Bigsby

Clayton_Bigsby will become famous soon enoughClayton_Bigsby will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzanianMagic View Post
They're not lost.

- The roots look great.
- They all have the same problem, which would tell me it's from the feeding or from the air.
- With that root development, the pH is probably good, because it would take good P uptake and that happens at higher pH's, while otherwise the plants would look like they weren't taking up enough P and K.

So my guess it has something to do with the air. Like I said, sealed grow tents are not my specialty.

Have you tried using air exchange, to see if it makes a difference? Or put one of them outside to see how they react?

Maybe lower the temperature from F78 to F68? I don't know if plants in sealed tents are even more vulnerable to high temperatures.

Thanks for the hypothesis. I just added air exchange 2 days ago. I cycle the air for 15 minutes 4 times a day. I turned the CO2 off as well. I transplanted them 2 days ago and they haven't improved or gotten worse in the last 2 days so thats kind of progress...

If they react well to the new soil, that would suggest that the roots outgrew the 4 inch pots in 1 week and the plants ran out of nutrients?

If they keep getting worse in the new soil then its gotta be contributed to the soil or the air. I will then put one outside and see how it does.

Any chance it could be the lights? Its a pretty expensive chinese knockoff LED off Amazon. I have a flower room full of HGL quantum boards waiting to go, i could swap them out and see how they react to a light that i know is high quality?

Old 08-01-2020, 07:14 AM #14
mexweed

mexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud of
I would say your mix isn't holding enough water drying out in 3 days is way too quick, they are also really scrawny looking for the roots they have so there could be a deficiency or ph issue too

Last edited by mexweed; 08-01-2020 at 01:23 PM..
mexweed is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:47 PM #15
rizraz
IC Mag Supporter

rizraz is just really nicerizraz is just really nicerizraz is just really nicerizraz is just really nicerizraz is just really nicerizraz is just really nicerizraz is just really nicerizraz is just really nicerizraz is just really nice
Okay time for second guesses. First I see that the humidity is ranging from 97% to 43%, any chance you're able to get that more consistent? 97% humidity could explain the leaf wilt particularly if you're watering heavy and the water isn't evaporating well. It's I guess possible the little pots ran out of nutrients but that would be low on my radar. Very weird for plants that size to erase all the nutes in a pot without more vertical growth. It could be the light but before I'd say the Chinese light isn't working well I'd lower the light closer to the plants and see if you get leaf response in the next few days.
Everything I do is within compliant legal limits for the states in which those projects are conducted in. My opinions aren't always popular, sorry if you're on the wrong side of one. I'm neurodivergent so I'll be making no apologies.

"Nature produces individuals and nothing more" -CHARLES EDWIN BESSEY

My current grow dairies

Kali China Breeders Pack plus Bubba Hash and Nepal Jam from Ace Seeds
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=374396

BG Cindy from 00, Romulan genetics Rom, Djshorts Temple Flo, plus some extras and clones
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=374416
rizraz is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:03 PM #16
Clayton_Bigsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizraz View Post
Okay time for second guesses. First I see that the humidity is ranging from 97% to 43%, any chance you're able to get that more consistent? 97% humidity could explain the leaf wilt particularly if you're watering heavy and the water isn't evaporating well. It's I guess possible the little pots ran out of nutrients but that would be low on my radar. Very weird for plants that size to erase all the nutes in a pot without more vertical growth. It could be the light but before I'd say the Chinese light isn't working well I'd lower the light closer to the plants and see if you get leaf response in the next few days.

The humidity was only 97% because i spilled water on it while transplanting. It typically stays in the 50% range.

I just checked in and they seem to be doing better in the new soil today. Still yellowish but they perked up a lot. I also only had the LED running at 300 watts. I just cranked it up to 700 watts and turned the CO2 back on. We'll see where they go from here.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:09 PM #17
Jerry_Garcia

Jerry_Garcia is just really niceJerry_Garcia is just really niceJerry_Garcia is just really niceJerry_Garcia is just really niceJerry_Garcia is just really niceJerry_Garcia is just really niceJerry_Garcia is just really niceJerry_Garcia is just really niceJerry_Garcia is just really nice
Hi Clayton, how did the plants responds to the changes you made? I am getting a new tent set up as well and very curious on your air exchange. I was having some problems with my tent initially but added a strong exhaust that exchanges the air a few times an hour. So far, that alone has helped immensely. I am not running CO2.
Jerry_Garcia is offline Quote