Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > TIPS, TRICKS, WEIRD HABITS or ANYTHING USEFUL!

Thread Title Search
Visit Skunk24.com for discounted cannabis seeds.
TIPS, TRICKS, WEIRD HABITS or ANYTHING USEFUL! Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2015, 07:55 AM #21
jmeds

Defoliate to strengthen branches and promote root development

I know it is a controversial topic. A few years ago my boy put me up on it and ultimately said "are you trying to grow flowers or leaves?" There is an art to it but for me I have no problem stripping vegging pants bare. In veg plants develop a stronger overall structure, more bud sites and roots that grow like crazy. The base stalk thickens and you end up with a shrub if done correctly. In flower the more bud sites exposed to light the better. Now nobody go start stripping their plants without proper research. Here is an example of how my first strip down goes. This is 7 days after transplanting into soil. The three four strains I have used it on responded positively (Blu Dream, Ken's Grandaddy, OG Kush and Blue Cookies).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151215_013320.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	343064

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:18 PM #22
Phases

Phases is a jewel in the roughPhases is a jewel in the roughPhases is a jewel in the roughPhases is a jewel in the roughPhases is a jewel in the roughPhases is a jewel in the roughPhases is a jewel in the rough
Jmeds
I definitely pack my plants pretty tight together and I have to do some defoliation in order for the light to penetrate.
I have seen people do it both Ways, the crazy defoliantin and other let em grow au -natural - I think both can be done successful I just have a hard time pulling off to many leaves, I jut take enough off top canopy to make sure the light can get further down.
Phases is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:42 PM #23
jmeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phases View Post
Jmeds
I definitely pack my plants pretty tight together and I have to do some defoliation in order for the light to penetrate.
I have seen people do it both Ways, the crazy defoliantin and other let em grow au -natural - I think both can be done successful I just have a hard time pulling off to many leaves, I jut take enough off top canopy to make sure the light can get further down.
I hear you, it is about what works for you. I was a little hesitant at first too. I definitely don't strip them this bare in flower but in veg it improves plant vigor. I try and maximize light and space in my system so keeping the plants short and bushy is what I want to achieve. It is more time consuming but the results for me make it worth it. I am not advising anyone to strip their whole canopy without understanding the process which is why I suggested properly researching the subject first. I have spent hours on hours reading how defoliation can positively and negatively affect plant growth. But knowing how resilient most cannabis plants are, I know they will grow back stronger from giving them what I like to call love.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:46 PM #24
Bwanabud

Bwanabud is a name known to allBwanabud is a name known to allBwanabud is a name known to allBwanabud is a name known to allBwanabud is a name known to allBwanabud is a name known to allBwanabud is a name known to allBwanabud is a name known to allBwanabud is a name known to allBwanabud is a name known to allBwanabud is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeds View Post
I hear you, it is about what works for you. I was a little hesitant at first too. I definitely don't strip them this bare in flower but in veg it improves plant vigor. I try and maximize light and space in my system so keeping the plants short and bushy is what I want to achieve. It is more time consuming but the results for me make it worth it. I am not advising anyone to strip their whole canopy without understanding the process which is why I suggested properly researching the subject first. I have spent hours on hours reading how defoliation can positively and negatively affect plant growth. But knowing how resilient most cannabis plants are, I know they will grow back stronger from giving them what I like to call love.
I agree with that, I strip and clean a fair amount...keep them short, and get the most out of my available light footprint.
Bwanabud is offline Quote

Old 12-17-2015, 08:40 PM #25
trichrider
THEORETICAL

trichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond repute
to simulate solar, i have in my flower room two lamps. a 400 and a 1K.
the 400 is set to come on an hour before the 1K and set to go off one hour after the 1K.
the 400 set at 11 hours on 13 off, 1K set 9 hours on 15 off. both lights on for 9 hours.

this is my simulation of daybreak and sunset and full light.

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:57 PM #26
Jellyfish
Invertebrata intoxica

Jellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivor
Relax, you're growing a weed. It will grow in a sidewalk crack without any help from you. So quit staring at your plants, you're making them uncomfortable.
Jellyfish is offline Quote

12 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:34 PM #27
jesbuds

jesbuds is a jewel in the roughjesbuds is a jewel in the roughjesbuds is a jewel in the roughjesbuds is a jewel in the roughjesbuds is a jewel in the roughjesbuds is a jewel in the roughjesbuds is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellyfish View Post
Relax, you're growing a weed. It will grow in a sidewalk crack without any help from you. So quit staring at your plants, you're making them uncomfortable.
Solid advice, too many want to do everything to their plants to 'maximize' them when leaving them alone can be the best treatment.
jesbuds is offline Quote

Old 12-17-2015, 09:38 PM #28
Bwanabud

Bwanabud is a name known to allBwanabud is a name known to allBwanabud is a name known to allBwanabud is a name known to allBwanabud is a name known to allBwanabud is a name known to allBwanabud is a name known to allBwanabud is a name known to allBwanabud is a name known to allBwanabud is a name known to allBwanabud is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesbuds View Post
Solid advice, too many want to do everything to their plants to 'maximize' them when leaving them alone can be the best treatment.
This^^^ You can love them to death
Bwanabud is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:49 PM #29
jesbuds

jesbuds is a jewel in the roughjesbuds is a jewel in the roughjesbuds is a jewel in the roughjesbuds is a jewel in the roughjesbuds is a jewel in the roughjesbuds is a jewel in the roughjesbuds is a jewel in the rough
jesbuds is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:27 PM #30
jmeds

The best 2 tips I can give is......

Focus on providing an optimal environment rather than "growing" your plant/s. Air, humidity, temperature, water, water temperature, light intensity, etc.

With your nutrient regiments, less is more and more is less.

3 members found this post helpful.