Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > LED Grow Lights > LED vrs. HPS

Thread Title Search
LED vrs. HPS Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-04-2012, 08:55 PM #1
BudMan30

BudMan30 will become famous soon enough
LED vrs. HPS

Hey everyone budman here. I'm looking for info on led lights compared to HPS. If they have the power to outdo or equal to HPS? Also what brand would you recommend. Thanks everyone! Because the last thing I want to happen is for me to spend alot of $ on them to just be dissapointed.
BudMan30 is offline Quote

Old 05-04-2012, 10:10 PM #2
trem0lo

Hi BudMan. It depends. Many are able to get 1g/watt using good LEDs, sometimes more. Most grows I've seen are around .75g/watt and some less which is about on par with HID lighting. The variation in quality from the major vendors is a big problem LED shoppers face, so rather than invest in something that may or may not work well, HPS is easier, has a proven track record and is much, much cheaper. There's no simple answer for which panel to buy, unfortunately. I'm sure someone can recommend a few good places to start though.

If you buy enough LED lamps you can come close to the best HPS bulbs, but the price of admission is quite high. I remember knna saying that you'd need 700w of high quality LEDs to equal a 1000w HPS, and that's assuming you build it yourself with good attention to thermal design and current. That would cost upwards of $2500.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:36 PM #3
grow_right

grow_right will become famous soon enough
so far my diamond series 200w led is doing as good as my 400w hps. of course there are more issues with hps, and i was allowing high watts per square foot with hps, therefore creating more issues. always had heat issues. with the led's, no heat issues, and the plants REALLY enjoy the led spectrum. my 200w led is used in a 2x2 cabinet.
grow_right is offline Quote

Old 05-05-2012, 02:09 AM #4
siddhartha

siddhartha has a spectacular aura aboutsiddhartha has a spectacular aura aboutsiddhartha has a spectacular aura about
Hey BudMan,
I just finished my first side by side with led vs HPS. I used a black dog platinumXL vs a 1000 hortilux. The Led had superior resin, smell and taste. The yield was identical. just over 1.5 lbs per light. the led had a smaller foot print with the led having 3.5 x 3.5 vs the HPS having 4 x 4. I am pretty impressed. I ordered a plant cam and plan on doing a journal for this next cycle.
Sidd
siddhartha is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:02 AM #5
rives
Inveterate Tinkerer

rives has a brilliant futurerives has a brilliant futurerives has a brilliant futurerives has a brilliant futurerives has a brilliant futurerives has a brilliant futurerives has a brilliant futurerives has a brilliant futurerives has a brilliant futurerives has a brilliant futurerives has a brilliant future
Take a look at the numerous links in GP73LPC's sig for lot's of good information that directly applies to your questions.
rives is offline Quote

Old 05-05-2012, 03:35 AM #6
siddhartha

siddhartha has a spectacular aura aboutsiddhartha has a spectacular aura aboutsiddhartha has a spectacular aura about
This is a Sour D grown under that platinum XL

Another Sour D pic

and two little OG ghost under that same light

totally yield was about 1.5 lbs dried over a 3.5 x 3.5 area with a 18 day veg

Sidd
siddhartha is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:13 AM #7
Don Treadonme

How much it set you back?

Old 05-05-2012, 06:54 AM #8
trem0lo

Over 2 grand. But you can't argue with the results.

A 1000w HID setup costs ten times less. You have to weigh the differences.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:14 AM #9
VerdantGreen
Mentor

VerdantGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVerdantGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVerdantGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVerdantGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVerdantGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVerdantGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVerdantGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVerdantGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVerdantGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVerdantGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVerdantGreen has a reputation beyond repute
LED is better, IF you are prepared to spend the money. i agree with KNNA that the actual LED watts used need to be at least 70% of the actual HPS watts you would use (keep in mind HPS uses more than their rating). in order for the yields to match up.

quality is a little better with LED imo

VG

Quote:
To the large and singular furniture of this noble island i have added from foreign places all the variety of herbs and flowers that i might any way obtain.
i've laboured with the soil to make it fit for plants, and with the plants that they might delight in the soil - so they might live and prosper under our climate as in their native and proper country.
Gerard's Herbal (1636)

Verdantgreen's 84W LED Organic ScrOG

VerdantGreen's organic modular ScrOG cabinet - 236W LED

VerdantGreen's low wattage veg/flower cab,

VerdantGreen's 104 watt micro grow (ScrOG)

VerdantGreen's bin growing! 28W LED Organic.

VerdantGreen's Quarters - 187w LED organic modular scrog grow diary

VerdantGreen's quarters - 250HPS organic modular scrog grow diary

VerdantGreen's 63Watt LED Micro cab.

VerdantGreen's quarters - 205w LED Organic Mod. ScrOG
VerdantGreen is offline Quote

Old 05-05-2012, 10:25 AM #10
LuciferianSahdu
Banned

LuciferianSahdu will become famous soon enough
not to get off track but im just wondering if a shit ton of pl-l's might be a great wa to go? ive got my method of growing down but with changing seasons changing lights if avoidable would be nice, heat and all being to much alot the tiime with hps.
LuciferianSahdu is offline Quote