Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Vertical / Colosseum Growing > Stealthdragon's vertical adventures with lightmovers!

Thread Title Search
Stealthdragon's vertical adventures with lightmovers! Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2011, 01:50 AM #11
Carboy

Carboy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthDragon View Post

I was just hoping to find a grower here who is using a lightmover in a vert setup. either normal or yoyo style..here's what I was thinking:

I use a Light Rail. Think it is the 10rpm model but I don't think that part really matters -- any would work. Pretty much like your diagram, but I'm moving 4 1Ks yoyo style. The travel is about 3.5 to 4ft. 2 go up while 2 are going down. Alot of advantages with the biggest being how close the light can be to the plants. Have 20" wind tunnel fans laying on their back blowing up. Canopy heat has never been a problem. It is a simple solution to get different light angles to all of the plant. I believe you'll be pleased w/ your results. CB

EDIT: took another look at the pic. You don't need the weight to hold the mover. tie your line to where you have tied the weight. I used vinyl coated clothes lines w/ 1.5" pulleys.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:42 AM #12
StealthDragon
Recovering UO addict.

StealthDragon is just really niceStealthDragon is just really niceStealthDragon is just really niceStealthDragon is just really niceStealthDragon is just really niceStealthDragon is just really niceStealthDragon is just really niceStealthDragon is just really nice
thanks alot for the response carboy, have you run into any problems with your setup? Do you have any pics?

My autoflower stuffs <--old (vertical 2k room)

My micro perpetual grow (closed for now)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free

The chains men bear they forged themselves. Strike off their chains and they will weep for their lost security
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
StealthDragon is offline Quote

Old 04-08-2011, 03:53 AM #13
Zen Master
Cannasseur

Zen Master is a glorious beacon of lightZen Master is a glorious beacon of lightZen Master is a glorious beacon of lightZen Master is a glorious beacon of lightZen Master is a glorious beacon of lightZen Master is a glorious beacon of lightZen Master is a glorious beacon of lightZen Master is a glorious beacon of lightZen Master is a glorious beacon of lightZen Master is a glorious beacon of lightZen Master is a glorious beacon of light
I'm doing this right now with a 1000w 2/3 gal smart pots arranged sort of in a coliseum style around the light.

got a bunch of different OG's, some Sour Diesel, a couple test plants from seed. I'm only on day 27 so we're just now starting to get some pic worthy buds.

this is Valley OG Kush on day 27, doing a side by side with some nutes and this one is on some MaxiBloom.

Coliseum vert SOG https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=240351
Zen Master is offline Quote

Old 04-08-2011, 03:58 AM #14
Zen Master
Cannasseur

Zen Master is a glorious beacon of lightZen Master is a glorious beacon of lightZen Master is a glorious beacon of lightZen Master is a glorious beacon of lightZen Master is a glorious beacon of lightZen Master is a glorious beacon of lightZen Master is a glorious beacon of lightZen Master is a glorious beacon of lightZen Master is a glorious beacon of lightZen Master is a glorious beacon of lightZen Master is a glorious beacon of light
I'll take a pic of the mover and pulley setup I'm using. I had the parts laying around and it works like a charm.

oh I use about 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 feet worth of travel with my 1000w bulb, I think anything past that and you're pushin it with intensity, with stacked bulbs you shouldn't need to go past that distance really anyways.

super simple to set up, I figure if vert grows can get 1 gpw fairly regularly, why not put the bulb on a mover and, pending ample intensity across the board, increase the yield hopefully. we'll see soon.

oh and I have the 6 rpm model intellirail 3.5. holds the weight just fine and has enough torque to not have me worried about slippage even though its only got weight on one side (socket/bulb)

Coliseum vert SOG https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=240351
Zen Master is offline Quote

Old 04-08-2011, 04:09 AM #15
StealthDragon
Recovering UO addict.

StealthDragon is just really niceStealthDragon is just really niceStealthDragon is just really niceStealthDragon is just really niceStealthDragon is just really niceStealthDragon is just really niceStealthDragon is just really niceStealthDragon is just really nice
excellent info zen master thanks alot. Good to know about the pulley not slipping on the track, that was my biggest concern although still a minor concern. I look forward to those pics, the budshot looks great!

The chains men bear they forged themselves. Strike off their chains and they will weep for their lost security

Old 04-09-2011, 02:01 PM #16
StealthDragon
Recovering UO addict.

hardware:

^^sorry for the crappy pics, always forgetting my camera just rigged it up with some tomato cages and those wire clamp thingies. Kinda ghetto but whatever works right? I thought I had it worked out with the "L" brackets but the wire bending worked much easier. I also made a wire arm to keep the cord further away from the cage which will be foiltaped to try to keep some heat off.

Kinda hard to see in these shitty pics (it was a long nite)...This is a 6x8 room with a 7 foot ceiling but the light is currently on a 2.5' run stopping a little less then 3' from each wall. There's a clamp on the track that allows the light to go all the way to the wall on the right and be stopped so there's room to tend to plants. I'm going to make a sort of shield made of sheetmetal or something to just set over the light so it doesn't need to be turned off, just stopped on the mover and covered.

Only had time to throw together one shelf and stuff...I still have a few things to do like paint the floor, arrange some outlets/powerstrips/fans fun stuff like that The room's kinda empty right now too..but about to be packed in about a week.

thanks for the help everyone...much to aerohead for the idea of hanging that bottom bulb right side up ....I have a really great light spread in there I'm very excited to see what this room can do.
here she is fired up and purring:

sorry bout the lines.

here's the room before with a 3x7' light footprint:

about 21 square feet...and now I think it's gonna be close to 75. I dunno I'm tired n baked. That was when we had 1800w; 1k in the middle and a 400w cmh on either side. Right before I remodeled we had just 2 ss2 hoods with 1k hps in each(couldn't find a recent pic).....now that I think about it I think I'm gonna squeeze a 400w cmh in the middle in a few weeks. I'll have a spare ballast to use soon too, just need to order a shiny new vert bulb. whew. fin.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:27 PM #17
StealthDragon
Recovering UO addict.

Ok I guess I'll just make this my vert grow thread thing. So here's my other project I just got up and running as well. Just switched last nite to the vert 400w hps instead of the hooded horzontal cmh. Enjoy.

dual 3/4" return lines, 4 separate "manifolds", 2 drains per bucket going to different drain lines:

individual 1/4" feedlines, split in 2 at the bucket, waterfalling inside. (should have used larger lines):

airlines fed by 2 x dual diaphragm gh airpumps. 1 line to each bucket to a "medium" cheapo gray hydro store airstone. 2 lines to rez. One pump is in the room to the right and 4 lines come through the wall. >cooler temps in there and less noise. I definitely need more air in the buckets, I'll double it up soon:

some pipe insulating and the rest of the airlines:

bout 3 hours of foiltaping and 100 bongrips later:

little reflectix for good measure (and for fred):

lil more reflectix:

caveman style temperature testing:

......break.
edit:back from break!

and here's where we're sitting now:

^^that's the 400w hps, I'd rather veg under a cmh but all I have is a horizontal bulb. I'm going to swith out to a 1k and probably yo-yo it up and down with a mover...but I need to let these girls fill in a little first. I noticed a difference overnight switching from the hooded light. The whole thing is designed to open up kinda like a clam shell or something...the buckets are hooked together in 2 sets of 3 that can be pulled open as they grow. There's actually an opening between the buckets in the bottom right corner so that when it starts to open up that will be my "easy" entrance with no tubes n shit to stumble over.

here's the feedline manifold:

^^ lol kinda rigged it up a little weird, but again..whatever works right? I ran around looking for a manifold all over but this was all I could come up with :shrug: the 5/8" line or w/e size..the one pointing down, goes to a tube for draining. Color coded for convenience as are all the airlines and power cords. Also has those thingies that turn the lines on and off and adjust the flow...wtf can't remember what they're called! anyways....hmm oh yeh the 3/4 drainlines are all done with bulkheads..and it worked into a pretty cool unintended feature...since there's thread on the inside of the drains in the buckets I figure I can isolate buckets by screwing plugs into the drains a turning off the feed lines and just running a dwc bucket.

holy crap I'm getting burnt out on typing...here's the left side:

rocking a sweet tapestry! it's more to dampen noise/echo. That's a 6" x 24" phresh filter recirculated by a 150 cfm panasonic whisper fan.. (tube blowing down) Also where you can see the filter material hanging on the ceiling is a 110 cfm whisperfan exhausting. I have a bunch of controllers n stuff....not really using any yet cuz I'll just have to redial everything when I switch to the 1k I think. I'm gonna get a humidifier in the meantime though....it's only at ~30% with the exhaust off :(
(edit from the future! I never got a humidifier and now halfway through flower I need a DEhumidifier cuz my humidity is at like 60)
ummm hmm...that's all I can think of for now....OH YEH! 5 super lemon haze and a strawberry haze on 24/7 right now. getting about 50% lucas formula at 5.6-6.0 (PH was a little high and slow to dial in at first so there's a few burns and twists here and there) PH is now stable and I think they're about to blow up. whew. fin.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:03 PM #18
Marlo
Wall of Famer

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthDragon View Post
..here's what I was thinking:
Thank you for posting this pic bro. This is f'n perfect. I am so on this one.

BRILLIANT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSPB View Post
The purpose was to metaphorically stack the deck with the best possible hand in the plants corner, so when we simply mimic rain, the plant can go all in.

NSPB Full Life Formula

Marlo is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:14 PM #19
StealthDragon
Recovering UO addict.

dude thanks alot marlo! welcome to my new show. that's actually kinda copy of someone else's pic but at least I necro'd it for ya!

Old 04-09-2011, 03:29 PM #20
OjoRojo420
Feeling good is good enough.

OjoRojo420 is a name known to allOjoRojo420 is a name known to allOjoRojo420 is a name known to allOjoRojo420 is a name known to allOjoRojo420 is a name known to allOjoRojo420 is a name known to allOjoRojo420 is a name known to allOjoRojo420 is a name known to allOjoRojo420 is a name known to allOjoRojo420 is a name known to allOjoRojo420 is a name known to all
Very nice and detailed work SD !

It reminds me of how I wrapped my Prelude's cold air intake to keep air temps down... do you like to mess with cars as well... ?

Please keep us posted.

Ojo
OjoRojo420 is offline Quote