Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Toker's Den > Stuck Again.... Sigh. How do you unstick glass on glass?

Thread Title Search    
Click for Weed Seed Shop
 Stuck Again.... Sigh. How do you unstick glass on glass? Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 05:34 AM   #16
GeorgeSmiley
Remembers

GeorgeSmiley has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeSmiley has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeSmiley has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeSmiley has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeSmiley has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeSmiley has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeSmiley has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeSmiley has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeSmiley has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeSmiley has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeSmiley has a reputation beyond repute
Last time mine got stuck I tried the hot a cold thing to no avail. So I took my orbital sander with just foam pad and lightly touched the base of the neck. I gave a slight twist and tugging action and finally it came out.

That sounded soooo dirty

Smiley
GeorgeSmiley jest offline   Quote

Old 04-30-2010, 05:59 AM   #17
immaculate
Who me? Couldn't be.

immaculate is a glorious beacon of lightimmaculate is a glorious beacon of lightimmaculate is a glorious beacon of lightimmaculate is a glorious beacon of lightimmaculate is a glorious beacon of lightimmaculate is a glorious beacon of light
Interesting. It's the rough sandblasted edges just wedging themselves together...again, I've also seen it happen because of resin. Glad you got it out! I would have used rubbing alcohol & epsom salt first. I don't know how I fell about "lubing my joints" as far as smoking glass goes..never had any severe issues with GoG...I've heard though that you are barely supposed to place the parts together, don't twist them in or let them fall in hard. Peace.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:28 AM   #18
LolaGal

The joints feel smooth to the touch, when I oiled them and cleaned everything.

I tried alcohol and salt first thing, then ice/heat, then oil.

Then it just finally popped out when I stuck a chopstick down the downstem, wedged it a lil bit and then pulled up. There was just enough pressure to the bottom of the downstem, I suppose, that it just shot out.

The joints were dry as a bone. don't know why? they were well oiled and everything was coming apart just fine earlier in the day.

but it did chip the female joint of the bong a little bit. but it is better than not being able to clean it and refill it.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:50 AM   #19
friscofrqancis

friscofrqancis will become famous soon enoughfriscofrqancis will become famous soon enough
Ground glass joints? Silicone grease. practically 100% inert, tasteless, designed for this use!
friscofrqancis jest offline   Quote

Old 04-30-2010, 07:04 AM   #20
Molson

Molson is just really niceMolson is just really niceMolson is just really niceMolson is just really niceMolson is just really nice
For next time, if oil does not work, try tapping the joints ever so gently (really carefully) on the edge of a counter top or similar. Then try pulling them apart. This is what we do in the lab when flasks and whatnot get stuck together.
Molson jest offline   Quote

Old 04-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #21
Fuzz420
Ganja Smoker Extraordinaire

Fuzz420 has a brilliant futureFuzz420 has a brilliant futureFuzz420 has a brilliant futureFuzz420 has a brilliant futureFuzz420 has a brilliant futureFuzz420 has a brilliant futureFuzz420 has a brilliant futureFuzz420 has a brilliant futureFuzz420 has a brilliant futureFuzz420 has a brilliant futureFuzz420 has a brilliant future
Nice tips everyone.I have glass on glass bong deal, and its constantly getting stuck. Usually a firm grip and twist gets it, but a few times ive almost pulled the whole stem out too.I believe my problem is more resin related
Fuzz420 jest offline   Quote

Old 04-30-2010, 07:36 AM   #22
Crispywaffle

Crispywaffle will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaGal View Post
well, goood news, bad news.

thanks for the help. that durn thing finally came apart.

I do not see how it happened, but the joints are dry! dry! dry!

I guess they stuck but how? don't make no sense.

oh the bad news is that when the downstem suddenly flew out of the bong, it chipped the female joint at the top....

damn damn ... oh well, it is only a chip, but this is a great bong, I love it so.

thank you all so much, except for you Crispy Waffle, lol. hahaha j/k j/k
Thank you ...that was very kynd of you

Old 04-30-2010, 03:39 PM   #23
LolaGal

I am a regular Mother Teresa type...

Hey the silicone sounds like a great idea! I tried the beeswax, not a winner.... :(

0 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #24
TrichyTrichy
¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`♥ ¸.•´ .

TrichyTrichy is a survivorTrichyTrichy is a survivorTrichyTrichy is a survivorTrichyTrichy is a survivorTrichyTrichy is a survivorTrichyTrichy is a survivorTrichyTrichy is a survivorTrichyTrichy is a survivorTrichyTrichy is a survivorTrichyTrichy is a survivorTrichyTrichy is a survivor

((((((hugs)))))))))))

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:48 PM   #25
MoldyFrogToe

MoldyFrogToe is a splendid one to beholdMoldyFrogToe is a splendid one to beholdMoldyFrogToe is a splendid one to beholdMoldyFrogToe is a splendid one to beholdMoldyFrogToe is a splendid one to beholdMoldyFrogToe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson View Post
For next time, if oil does not work, try tapping the joints ever so gently (really carefully) on the edge of a counter top or similar. Then try pulling them apart. This is what we do in the lab when flasks and whatnot get stuck together.

just give it a little tap a tappy tap tapparoo!
MoldyFrogToe jest offline   Quote

Old 04-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #26
GeorgeSmiley
Remembers

GeorgeSmiley has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeSmiley has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeSmiley has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeSmiley has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeSmiley has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeSmiley has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeSmiley has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeSmiley has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeSmiley has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeSmiley has a reputation beyond reputeGeorgeSmiley has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson View Post
This is what you do in a lab? All the labs I've been invited to always have ground glass joint pullers?

http://www.ecu.edu/glassblowing/frozenglass.htm
GeorgeSmiley jest offline   Quote

Old 04-30-2010, 07:09 PM   #27
MoldyFrogToe

MoldyFrogToe is a splendid one to beholdMoldyFrogToe is a splendid one to beholdMoldyFrogToe is a splendid one to beholdMoldyFrogToe is a splendid one to beholdMoldyFrogToe is a splendid one to beholdMoldyFrogToe is a splendid one to behold
What! That's really cool
MoldyFrogToe jest offline   Quote

Old 04-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #28
Prof Sublime
Hard working pothead

Prof Sublime has a reputation beyond reputeProf Sublime has a reputation beyond reputeProf Sublime has a reputation beyond reputeProf Sublime has a reputation beyond reputeProf Sublime has a reputation beyond reputeProf Sublime has a reputation beyond reputeProf Sublime has a reputation beyond reputeProf Sublime has a reputation beyond reputeProf Sublime has a reputation beyond reputeProf Sublime has a reputation beyond reputeProf Sublime has a reputation beyond repute
What brand glass is this. Sounds like your joints werent ground to the right specs. Ive been using ground joints for such along time an never lube the joints and Ive never had problems with sticking. It really irks me that this happens to you all the time. Do you push the joints in, I just let gravity put them in they are normally plenty tight.

Smoke till ya' puke.
Prof Sublime jest offline   Quote

Old 04-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #29
budlykush
My name? José Jiménez

budlykush is just really nicebudlykush is just really nicebudlykush is just really nicebudlykush is just really nice
I use the oil off my pimply ass face and forehead. The skin oil works great. I used to use it to seal scratches in my film stripping job years ago. Even film cleaner solvent had a hard time taking off the stuff.

Try it, it's not gross.........
budlykush jest offline   Quote

Old 04-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #30
Marijuanasaur

Marijuanasaur will become famous soon enough
So let me get this straight, are you not supposed to do the twist? that is bad? explains why I broke that one downstem... I always use a LIGHT twist to lock my set up in place, is that not what you are supposed to do?
Marijuanasaur jest offline   Quote