Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > Caution when using "Hot Shot No-Pest Strips."

Thread Title Search
Caution when using "Hot Shot No-Pest Strips." Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2009, 04:45 PM #21
LolaGal

They sure do work good on pests though! No more wasps even! They were always flying around here before... Now they are gone too! I'm betting the DDT I already bathed in for decades will get me first... lol

Old 05-22-2009, 04:56 PM #22
Mr.Hades
infection

Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature
Mr.Hades has a spectacular aura aboutMr.Hades has a spectacular aura aboutMr.Hades has a spectacular aura about
"The debate isn't whether it's carcinogenic, it's whether the specific NPS product leaves any kind of residue that settles on the plant. I've read all the links posted in this thread(the most recent one is 12 years old), and none of them suggest anything about that."

https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp88-c1.pdf

Read this... "The most likely way a person would be exposed is by breathing in air contaminated"

"You might also be exposed to dichlorvos in home after pesticide application. You are most likely to be exposed by breathing air containing dichlorvos, but skin contact with contaminated surfaces, or eating food that has been left out during dichlorvos application can also result in exposure." "It is reccommended that people should not re-enter a room or house treated with dichlorvos until after a lo-hour ventilation period."

Read page 4 and section 1.4 aswell...
Mr.Hades is offline Quote

Old 05-22-2009, 05:14 PM #23
NOYB

OK I read that but I'm wondering if what they're talking about is for spray applications where there would be a tendency for it to saturate the environment easier and be more prevalent as super fine particles that could collect as a residue. The strips emit only a gas. Sure the ppm's will increase in a closed room as time goes on but since a gas don't know how it would collect unless something like resin can act as a magnet or simply like a glue that once the gas hits it and 'sticks'.

Once thing is when I used them it was at lights off only and cut ventilation. Plants do fine with no ventilation when they're sleeping. Many use them in an open system with air flowing day and night and no way for them to work well that way cause the gas concentration can never build to an effective level...from what I understand.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:16 PM #24
heavy dank nugg

the flowering plant breaths in the fumes and releases its not a residue its a gas. its non toxic to plants. and plants dont use the gas. just dont inhale it continuously yourself... a invisable gas sticking to plants... c'mon. just dont touch your buds to the yellow strip. and you WILL NOT get it on your plants.

0 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:13 PM #25
dr-dank

dr-dank will become famous soon enoughdr-dank will become famous soon enough
The only sure way to not get cancer is to die. I beleive I heard that fried hamburger causes the big "C".

I have read the epa specs on this, and in the end it did not strike as being that toxic. The docs I read failed to prove an increase in human cancer (EPA list as posible and so to does the world health organization) , and aLways seems to deal with heavy concentraions, ie. for workers that manafacture the material.

Sometimes its is easier for a company to settle/agree to remarket, rather than to prove the negative that the cancer came from soomewhere else.

IIRC, while once widely used, say in pet flea collers and arial sprays, the epa restricted usage to the plastic pucks, and still allows use in food storage areas. If this was so dangerous, I think both eating and smoking would be bad. Also, diclorovos breaks down in air; does not need water.

Like a loaded gun there is danger. I feel that users should be aware, and make their own choices, bit unless you grow your own veggies and grains you are ingesting the residue anyway.

https://www.beyondpesticides.org/pest...heets/DDVP.pdf

"The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has set a permissible exposure limit of 1 milligram dichlorvos per cubic meter of air (1mg/m3) for an 8-hour workday, 40 hour workweek."

https://www.patientsville.com/toxic/diclorvos.htm

"No evidence of carcinogenicity was found when rats were exposed to air containing up to 5 mg/m3 for 23 hours/day for 2 years (3). A few tumors were found in the esophagus of mice given dichlorvos orally, even though tumors of this kind are normally rare (9)."

"Feeding studies indicate that a dosage of dichlorvos very much larger than doses which inhibit cholinesterase are needed to produce illness. Rats tolerated dietary doses as high as 62.5 mg/kg/day for 90 days with no visible signs of illness, while a dietary level of 0.25 mg/kg/day for only 4 days produced a reduction in cholinesterase levels (3)."

"Dichlorvos is rapidly broken down in the air and in damp media such as soil. The pH of the media determines the rate of breakdown. Alkaline soils, water, etc., show rapid breakdown, whereas acidic media shows slow degradation. For instance, at a pH of 9.1 the half-life of dichlorvos is about 4.5 hours. At a pH of 1 (very acidic), the half- life is 50 hours (8). Dichlorvos is non-persistent."

https://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles...orvos-ext.html

In my mind, using a few of these for a week or two during lights out, to contol an infestation, and the produce cure for a few days should reduce tocicity to the degree that you likely have more likely carcinigens, such as vinyle off gassing, to worry about.

Just my .02 cents.
dr-dank is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:18 PM #26
richyrich
Out of the slime, finally.

richyrich has disabled reputation
This product does work good. When I have used them I would just whip them out as needed and put them into a ziplock bag for later use. I had ready similar info before and wasn't hip to breathing this stuff. Good thread.
richyrich is offline Quote

Old 05-22-2009, 08:16 PM #27
NOYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-dank View Post
I beleive I heard that fried hamburger causes the big "C".

but unless you grow your own veggies and grains you are ingesting the residue anyway.
Browned and burned foods particularly animal proteins can contain some of the most carcinogenic/mutagenic substances known.

Agree on the second part. I see many organic growers almost rage about the fact they grow organic yet most shut up when I ask them what kind of food they eat...lol. I do grow organic and eat mostly organic.

As for the strips, if you do use them, they should not be hanging all the time throughout the length of the grow anyway. I used them for a few 'nights' then for a few nights a week later and got rid of the mites. I had everything woven into a trellis net and no way to spray anything so had to resort to the strips.

I personally think the potential risk if used 'properly' negligible. If the application of dichlorvos was a spray it would be a totally different story.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:30 PM #28
PondeLftHndSide
Safety Coordinator

PondeLftHndSide is just really nicePondeLftHndSide is just really nicePondeLftHndSide is just really nicePondeLftHndSide is just really nicePondeLftHndSide is just really nicePondeLftHndSide is just really nicePondeLftHndSide is just really nicePondeLftHndSide is just really nicePondeLftHndSide is just really nicePondeLftHndSide is just really nicePondeLftHndSide is just really nice
Dichlorvos... Sounds like a Macedonian exchange student, or some lame Nu-Metal band.
PondeLftHndSide is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:07 PM #29
Mr.Hades
infection

Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature
Mr.Hades has a spectacular aura aboutMr.Hades has a spectacular aura aboutMr.Hades has a spectacular aura about
^^^ haha

It does sound like a metal band...

I dont know guys, The info is there... I just thought there should definately be a sticky thread to caution those who are using these strips improperly and even to those using them properly.

It's good to know exactly what you use in your home, and what you, your family, your pets and plants are breathing/ingesting.

Mr.Hades is offline Quote

Old 05-23-2009, 04:07 AM #30
burnt out og'er

10k is a jewel in the rough10k is a jewel in the rough10k is a jewel in the rough10k is a jewel in the rough10k is a jewel in the rough10k is a jewel in the rough10k is a jewel in the rough10k is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Browned and burned foods particularly animal proteins can contain some of the most carcinogenic/mutagenic substances known.
damn I love my steak charred on the outside but medium rare !

But, I think I'd rather just kick the bucket than turn into a vegetarian
10k is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.