in:
Forums > Grow It! > Growers Forums > Organic Soil > Homemade Cal-Mag

Thread Title Search    
Click for Weed Seed Shop
 Homemade Cal-Mag Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #16
lilo

lilo is on a distinguished road
I do and that is way too much salt. It could also easily lead to cal lock. Cal/Mag is not what epsom salts is to start with. Besides, cal/mag should be in right proportion.
lilo jest offline   Quote

Old 06-27-2008, 03:29 PM   #17
Suby
**AWD** Aficianado

Suby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scay Beez
Azomite, molasses, compost, vermicompost, & seaweed. Jaykush is right on the nettles... nettles are awesome! A natural antihistamine for those with allergies also. White oak bark, tricalcium phosphate (eggshells soaked in vinegar), and the high calcium seaweed Suby uses would be other options.

- sbz
great to have you back
Suby jest offline   Quote

Old 06-27-2008, 03:55 PM   #18
BurnOne

BurnOne is a survivorBurnOne is a survivorBurnOne is a survivorBurnOne is a survivorBurnOne is a survivorBurnOne is a survivorBurnOne is a survivorBurnOne is a survivorBurnOne is a survivorBurnOne is a survivorBurnOne is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo
I do and that is way too much salt. It could also easily lead to cal lock. Cal/Mag is not what epsom salts is to start with. Besides, cal/mag should be in right proportion.
He said he was having a magnesium deficiency. 1 to 2 tsp./gal. Epsom Salts will fix it in organic growing.
Burn1
It's 4:20 somewhere. Time to Burn1.

Bullshit! There's no need to flush organics. -Bongaloid

pH meter? We don't need no stinking pH meter!

BurnOne jest offline   Quote

Old 07-08-2008, 10:35 AM   #19
whodi

whodi is just really nicewhodi is just really nicewhodi is just really nicewhodi is just really nicewhodi is just really nice
how often should you use cal/mag?
whodi jest offline   Quote

Old 07-08-2008, 10:43 AM   #20
guineapig

Location: In spite of my rage I am still just a rodent in a cage
guineapig is a survivorguineapig is a survivorguineapig is a survivorguineapig is a survivorguineapig is a survivorguineapig is a survivorguineapig is a survivorguineapig is a survivorguineapig is a survivorguineapig is a survivorguineapig is a survivor
This is an incredibly important topic......the Cal-Mag products that are available in grow stores have never worked well enough......Calcium and Magnesium are so important that they are considered "Secondary Nutrients".....

If you have access to a health food store, i would try to find the most "bio-available" Calcium/Magnesium supplement.....now i have not investigated this option yet, because i finally found another option that provides almost instantaneous Calcium and Magnesium to your plants......you can either use it as a foliar spray or add directly to the roots.....here is my secret:

(taken from another post of mine)

I gave up on Botanicare's Cal-Mag product......even Technaflora's "MagiCal" product seems to be the exact same formula....

However, do not despair my Cal-Mag deficient friends!!!

I have finally discovered an awesome product, and it is available at your local grocery store!!!!

The name of this product is "Sanfaustino" brand mineral water.....it contains 9% Calcium and 8% Magnesium and lists the pH as 5.9......you can use it on the roots, and it also makes a wonderful foliar-feed application.....

http://www.sanfaustino.com/composition.html

For some reason, the plants only respond to Sanfaustino.......they perk up and begin to grow at an accelerated rate......the plants will not respond to Botanicare's "Cal-Mag" product.....

Now for some of you with larger numbers of plants, it might not be economical to buy Sanfaustino water, as it costs around 1.50 dollars per Liter or so.......but, if you have a few bucks to spare, try it on your plants and i guarantee you will notice a difference.....

I must admit, i am quite upset at these garden companies.....they seem to be making Calcuim/Magnesium supplements that my plants absolutely will not absorb.....i don't know if its the molecular structure, or how the Cal and Mag are derived, or whatever, but all i know is that the Sanfaustino mineral water is like an instant shot of Calcium and Magnesium directly into the plant whereas the Botanicare product does absolutely nothing......this makes me upset because Calcium and Magnesium are very important nutrients, and should be considered "secondary" nutrients rather than "micro-nutrients" because of their great importance in proper plant growth......

Hopefully someone will find a more readily bio-available form of Calcium and Magnesium.....my suspicion is that it will come from an "organic" sorce, perhaps some sort of geologic deposit that has these 2 elements locked into a certain molecular formation......

I am shocked and appalled that we do not have access to an effective Cal/Mag product.....so many people have had problems with Botanicare's Cal/Mag that you would think they would re-formulate the product.....

Hopefully i will find the kind of Cal/Mg product i am looking for.....someday.....

I have not yet tried the Cal/Mg supplements that are marketed for human consumption, but there are many brands of these and some claim to be more bio-available than others so i guess that is the next place to investigate....

kind regards from guineapig
guineapig jest offline   Quote

Old 07-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #21
Suby
**AWD** Aficianado

Suby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant future
I've read about that, I can't get it where I live :(

My theory is prevention and preparation, ie a well composted mix containing adequate compost/humus and dolomite lime.

I'll keep looking for the water, sounds like an excellent foliar.
Suby jest offline   Quote

Old 07-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #22
southpaw
Doo-ran, Doo-ran...

southpaw is a jewel in the roughsouthpaw is a jewel in the roughsouthpaw is a jewel in the roughsouthpaw is a jewel in the rough
Has anyone had success with plain ph adjusted hard tap water? I've got plenty of that to work with.

"In cold Suomi a bronze child made of sun and snow will play King of Sweden, holding in his right hand the paxoro of an African god." - Jorge Amado, Tent of Miracles

If only strife could die from the lives of gods and men... - The Iliad, Book 18.

Finished - Southpaw Does HGF Caramella
Current - [https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=212691]Southpaw Does PPP and Mystery Maple[/url]
southpaw jest offline   Quote

Old 07-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #23
Ulysses

Ulysses is a glorious beacon of lightUlysses is a glorious beacon of lightUlysses is a glorious beacon of lightUlysses is a glorious beacon of lightUlysses is a glorious beacon of lightUlysses is a glorious beacon of light
Mineral Water? Brilliant!!!

A few selections from my local grocery:

Smart Water: Potassium Bicarbonate, Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride in unknown concentrations per liter.

Appollinaris: 6% Magnesium, 5% Sodium per liter.

S. Pellegrino: 4% Calcium, 1% Sodium per liter.

Another thing I found is a tomato blossom rot cure: Bonide Rot Stop 1.6% Calcium...

Is any of this stuff in concentrations enough to have an effect on a plant? At $2-3 per liter is it a feasible curative measure? What is the calmag concentration on your average East coast tap water???
Ulysses jest offline   Quote

Old 07-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #24
8bitNES

8bitNES is on a distinguished road
guineapig, Sanfaustino... awesome. One of the best "home remedies" I've heard yet. How much do you end up using/gal.? Is there any reason not to use it in a hydro setup?

8bit
8bitNES jest offline   Quote

Old 07-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #25
guineapig

Location: In spite of my rage I am still just a rodent in a cage
guineapig is a survivorguineapig is a survivorguineapig is a survivorguineapig is a survivorguineapig is a survivorguineapig is a survivorguineapig is a survivorguineapig is a survivorguineapig is a survivorguineapig is a survivorguineapig is a survivor
The main drawback with using SanFaustino water in a hydro set-up would be the cost.....its just not affordable to use this water on a large scale......however, as a foliar spray or a small closet situation, it is really an amazing plant tonic especially if you are experiencing Calcium and/or Magnesium defieciencies or lockout.....

SanFaustino is absolutely concentrated enough to help your plants......however, if you wanted a more concentrated Cal/Mag product, the other option is to go to your local health food store and find the most "bio-available" form of Calcium/Magnesium supplements and dissolve them in your water.......make sure they are well dissolved and if possible use Reverse-Osmosis water or Spring Water as a base.....

Glad you all are interested in the search for a more effective Cal/Mg product......

kind regards from guineapig
guineapig jest offline   Quote

Old 07-13-2008, 03:29 AM   #26
lilo

lilo is on a distinguished road
great info there!

what do you guys think cal/mag proportion one should look for?
lilo jest offline   Quote

Old 07-22-2008, 06:11 PM   #27
G33k Speak

G33k Speak will become famous soon enough
Magnesium problems are usually a result of pH problems.
Just sayin'.

Botanicare cal/mag is like 15$ish a bottle. I use it as a foliar spray.
G33k Speak jest offline   Quote

Old 07-22-2008, 06:22 PM   #28
G33k Speak

1 gram of generic epsom salts in 500ml. of R/o water reads 727.
(R/O water was read @ 7. by itself)

so 720. TDS

Old 07-22-2008, 06:37 PM   #29
G33k Speak

Update:

when I diluted the 500 ml. to 1000ml. with R/O water, it read 420...

Started over with a full 1000ml of R/o water @ 7.0, added 1 gram epson salts and got a reading of 450 TDS.
Ph was below 5.

a gram of epsom salt is tiny! - like a bump.
I don't have any measuring spoons.