Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > This thread is da peat puck freaks..

Thread Title Search
This thread is da peat puck freaks.. Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2007, 05:02 AM #1
Blunt_69
the keeper of the creeper

Blunt_69 is a jewel in the roughBlunt_69 is a jewel in the roughBlunt_69 is a jewel in the roughBlunt_69 is a jewel in the roughBlunt_69 is a jewel in the roughBlunt_69 is a jewel in the roughBlunt_69 is a jewel in the rough
This thread is da peat puck freaks..

Ok.. I decided to start this thread because of the many issues ive noticed with cloneing/and or seedling starts.

I have built bubble cloners and used various types of medium such as rock wool, perilite mixtures and others starter(plugs)types of medium. However I still prefer to use those trusty ol things i call "peat pucks" Oh... and they are cheap to..

Seed or clone, i have never experianced the need to stray from this fail proof way of starting younglings.

I see alot of people using the bubble cloners or other various water culture forms of inducing roots. in my own experiance I noticed maintaining proper water levels for 5-10 days...well...babysitting like. A also have found, outside of rigging up this complex unit to be "a pain in this ass", if your cloning room is on the cooler side.You now need to slightly warm the water by use of a fish heater or heat pad.

Im lazy when it comes to taking care of babies. I just want to water them once, and look back in a week or so and see roots.Im not normally in a hurry for clones to root.. they always do. 100% success Rate.Then I can simply transplant them into my even more complex Hydroponic system with ease.

All you need to clone is peat pucks, a starter tray and a clear dome. A trick you can use on peat pucks is by using HOT water to expand the pucks with. This greatly reduces wait times and is all you need to do to start clones/seedlings. NO NUTES REQUIRED.I dont ph adjust my tap water.. but if your water is seriously wacked, this is required as well.

I take my cuttings(at least two nodes),dipped in cheap ass rooting powder sinking them into a soaked and(warm) puck. Once i have the desired count i simply add just enough water into my starter tray to keep the bottoms of the pucks wet and cover with dome.

The dome insures that the clones and pucks stay warm through this transitional period. Some also use heat pads to help. This is very important and a big reason why most have problems, your medium must be room temp(around 25 deg C), otherwise it can stunt or even prevent cloning from happining.If you are to hot, mold and rot occurs.It's a balance you must find for yourself in your area. The dome also serves another purpose because you are essentially traping water inside the dome, it's almost impossible to dry out the pucks within a week timeframe. Otherwise... babysitting again, now you have to watch for drying out your pucks, almost an instant killer.I let my peat puck suck up all water for a day at the end of the week by simply removing the dome. Then refill starter tray with again, just enough to wet the bottoms of the puck, if no roots are seen.

Many people use full size flouros, or a total over kill hps/mh for lighting.I have found my 400 watt MH to be totally useless for using as a starter light. I now run four 100W CFL light fixtures which provides enough light for 6-10 babies. That is untill they have 5-10 growth nodes lengths.. then i transplant into the magic trays where light is significantly upgraded to a full 1000W full spectrum bulb.

So in my mind simple setup = desired result consitantly and effortlessly a big part of my way of doing things. Consistant and effortless.

Last edited by Blunt_69; 03-19-2008 at 03:49 AM..
Blunt_69 is offline Quote

Old 11-22-2007, 05:18 AM #2
Wiimote

Wiimote will become famous soon enoughWiimote will become famous soon enough
I too use the peat pucks for cloning, and since switching to them, I have only lost one cutting, and that one was completely my fault (let it dry out).
Religion and sex are powerplays, Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling god, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Politicians say no to drugs, while we pay for wars in south america.

Fighting fire with empty words, while the banks get fat, and the poor stay poor. The rich get rich, and the cops get paid to look away as the one percent rules America
Queensryche, Spreading the Disease
Wiimote is offline Quote

Old 11-22-2007, 05:26 AM #3
wsp

wsp is on a distinguished road
I have used these as well and had bad luck with those pucks. They always mold or have stem rot.
wsp is offline Quote

Old 11-22-2007, 05:28 AM #4
Guest 16149

I have a 100% success rate using the pucks and almost the same for using rockwool starter cubes, what I have never had any great success with is the bubble cloners. I know other people do, but I have the best luck with pellets and cubes myself

Old 11-22-2007, 05:30 AM #5
Guest 16149

wsp if you have mold or stem rot, you are keeping them to damp and/or to warm. Try keeping them just a little dryer and about 74 to 78 degrees and you will do much better. I do not and would not start seeds in the pellets but they are great for cloning

Last edited by Blaner123Doobie; 11-22-2007 at 05:40 AM..

Old 11-22-2007, 05:39 AM #6
wsp

wsp is on a distinguished road
Thanks Blaner123Doobie I will try it again tomorrow, I have had good luck with FFOF, This consumes alot of space with cups under the domes. I belive they weren't prepared properly with warm water and were left to wet under the dome. I hope this helps because space is valuable.
wsp is offline Quote

Old 11-22-2007, 06:08 AM #7
surfingrob
Bong Hit Champion/MM Caregiver

surfingrob is on a distinguished road
Yup, I posted a thread about peat pucks few weeks back. These things are the shit when it comes to easy cloning, in 7-10 days there will be roots flying out of the sides.

If anyone has ever used House and Gardens Root Excellerator I highly reccommend it for peat pucks, a few drops in the soaking solution PH'd to 6.3 has gotten me transplantable roots in 6 days out of the pucks.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:46 AM #8
1stimer

1stimer is on a distinguished road
I just picked up some pucks a couple days ago. I have got to find a cloning method that works well for me and I hope this one is it.
1stimer is offline Quote

Old 11-22-2007, 08:54 PM #9
EatShitake

The guy that mentored me in growing taught me to clone using pucks. I've also started pre-soaked seeds in them. Rarely a problem. Then I experimented with all sorts of other cloning mediums, and I find myself always going back to what worked the best for me---pucks. Pucks rule!

Old 11-22-2007, 09:19 PM #10
Sammet
Med grower

Sammet is a glorious beacon of lightSammet is a glorious beacon of lightSammet is a glorious beacon of lightSammet is a glorious beacon of lightSammet is a glorious beacon of lightSammet is a glorious beacon of lightSammet is a glorious beacon of lightSammet is a glorious beacon of lightSammet is a glorious beacon of lightSammet is a glorious beacon of lightSammet is a glorious beacon of light
I've just dropped some cheese and sweet tooth into some peat pucks today They look pretty handy, although this is my first time using them.

Previously I was using a 600W cool tube for seedlings which was not great. Now I've got an extra tent with a 200W blue envirolight for moms/veg and a seperate heated chamber for seedlings/clones