Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Understanding Inorganic Salts and Their Relationship to Plant Nutrition

Thread Title Search
Click to Visit Discreet Seeds
Understanding Inorganic Salts and Their Relationship to Plant Nutrition Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2007, 01:35 AM #11
drrico

drrico is on a distinguished road
It tickles me to no end to see folks discuss science stuff. Thanks for tossing that into the conversation pool, Head.

(Ps, Casey Jones rawks; Seedbay rawks, too).

Old 07-31-2007, 02:06 AM #12
Grat3fulh3ad
The Voice of Reason

Grat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud of
Science rawks as well, drrico... One thing that it is hard to rely on, is information from people making money from one product or another... There is an entire economy built around the idea that anything synthesized or chemical is somehow inherently harmful... and those who have interest in that economy have some interesting science sometimes, and seem interested in somewhat propagating misinformation... That's why so many hear 'salt' and react with fear... imho

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. ... It happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." – Carl Sagan

"There is rebirth of character, but no transmigration of a self. Thy thought-forms reappear, but there is no egoentity transferred. The stanza uttered by a teacher is reborn in the scholar who repeats the words. Only through ignorance and delusion do men indulge in the dream that their souls are separate and self-existent entities.""Our thinking is gone, but our thoughts continue. Reasoning ceases, but knowledge remains." – Buddha
Grat3fulh3ad is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:00 PM #13
Grat3fulh3ad
The Voice of Reason

Grat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud of
Some more information, which will end up edited into the original article when I have time...

The Salt Index (SI) is a measure of the salt concentration that a given fertilizer induces in the soil solution.

The salt index is estimated by measuring the amount of electric current that a 1% solution will conduct. The higher the soluble salt content, the more current the product will conduct.

The SI of a material is expressed as the ratio of the increase in osmotic pressure of the salt solution produced by a specific fertilizer to the osmotic pressure of the same weight of Sodium Nitrate (NaNO3), which is based on a relative value of 100. Sodium nitrate was chosen as the standard because it was completely water soluble and it was a commonly used nitrogen fertilizer when the SI concept was first proposed.

Knowing the salt index of a given fertilizer gives us a tool to gauge the potential harm to the plant, and the potential harm to the soil microbiology, and gives us an idea of how dilute given fertilizers need to be.

The higher the salt index, the higher the tendency of the product to cause injury to seed germination. The salt index supplies no information as to the quality of the product or quantity or quality of plant food. Most starter fertilizer products on the market that are being recommended for placement on the seed have a salt index in the range of 40-50. A product with a salt index over this range will not necessarily result in seed damage, but the tendency of the product for this problem is higher if conditions are not ideal.

Double nutrient salts, such as ammonium phosphate and monopotassium
phosphate, help keep the salt index down.

Here is a list of some common Organic and Inorganic fertilizers' SI:

Sodium nitrate - 100
Potassium Sulfate- 43 (potash)
Calcium Sulfate - 8 (gypsum)
Manure salts - 92
Seabird guano - 43
Feather meal - 1.4
Bone meal - 1.8
Blood meal - 2.8
Meat and bone meal - 3.9
Ammonia - 47
Ammonium sulfate - 68
Urea -74
Mono-potassium phosphate - 9
Potassium chloride - 120
Potassium sulfate - 43
Calcium nitrate - 55
Super phosphate - 10
Ammonium phosphate - 32

A common misconception is that organic fertilizers are safer for plants and the environment than inorganic (chemical) products. Another common misconception is that organic fertilizers contain no salts. Many organic materials contain high levels of salts. These salts will burn plants if organic materials are over-applied. Improper organic fertilizer application may induce a plant nutrient deficiency or toxicity, or cause salt burn. Properly used, both organic and inorganic fertilizers are safe for plants and the environment.

From Ohio State University Extension
Department of Horticulture and Crop Science:

Quote:
High levels of organic materials applied to soil may increase salts in soil, impair seed germination and reduce plant stands. Most organic materials also contain much more potassium than magnesium or calcium. Long term application of this material to soils may raise the ratio of potassium to magnesium and calcium sufficiently to retard crop growth. To adjust the ratio, additional magnesium and/or calcium may have to be added as dolomitic or calcitic limestone

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. ... It happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." – Carl Sagan

"There is rebirth of character, but no transmigration of a self. Thy thought-forms reappear, but there is no egoentity transferred. The stanza uttered by a teacher is reborn in the scholar who repeats the words. Only through ignorance and delusion do men indulge in the dream that their souls are separate and self-existent entities.""Our thinking is gone, but our thoughts continue. Reasoning ceases, but knowledge remains." – Buddha

Old 07-31-2007, 04:04 PM #14
cocktail frank
Ubiquitous

cocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant future
h3ad is the walking MJ encyclopedia.
a teacher is always teaching!!
“Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do,
every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do.
And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish,
where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!
But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money!
He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!”

R.I.P. George Carlin
the funniest man to ever walk god's green earth.
R.I.P. Buckeye
cocktail frank is offline Quote

Old 07-31-2007, 07:16 PM #15
inflorescence
Banned

inflorescence has a spectacular aura aboutinflorescence has a spectacular aura aboutinflorescence has a spectacular aura aboutinflorescence has a spectacular aura aboutinflorescence has a spectacular aura about
This thread just keeps getting better and better. :

So when they say "manure salts" in the salt index are they talking about raw manures, composted manures or what about liquid composts?
inflorescence is offline Quote

Old 07-31-2007, 08:22 PM #16
Grat3fulh3ad
The Voice of Reason

Manure salts are the water soluble salts present in manure. Manures commonly contain 4 to 5% soluble salts (dry weight basis) and may run as high as 10%. You can't measure the EC of the manure itself, so the salts have to be dissolved in water at the appropriate concentration for comparison.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:51 PM #17
In Vino Veritas

I wanted to mix 1part Peat, 1part Verm, 1part Perlite, dolomite lime, with some organic compost, blood, and bone meal.. and supplement with flora nova bloom..

I've run soiless before and fed with just gh and got great results, should I not bother with the extra hassle? Maybe change my ratios?

Old 09-30-2007, 11:59 PM #18
Grat3fulh3ad
The Voice of Reason

You should do whatever works best for you... I find using GH flora micro and GH flora bloom in Coco is the simplest way to grow excellent buds. I really am against adding too much to my reservoir, or to my medium. Nothing but ions dissociated from purified mineral compounds suspended in a polar solvent, perfectly ready to attach to a root hair...

Old 10-01-2007, 12:25 AM #19
In Vino Veritas

Yea you're right. I mix 1 part equal Perlite, Vermiculate, Peatmoss, and some Dolomite Lime.. I used to feed like you, GH Lucas.. Lately I've been using Flora Nova..

Would you suggest I change my ratios? Maybe all Peat/Perlite and some Lime?

Old 11-25-2008, 10:23 PM #20
Grat3fulh3ad
The Voice of Reason

any comparisson to offer between the flora nova and modified lucas and the supplimented soil mix, in vino veratas?