What's new

I think I have a Virus

mosthigh125

REZDOG said:
Good God.

So,we learn from this....what?
A: That shitty gardens get shitty results...Gee,that's a real surprise....

....Truth is,in 20 years,the Chemdog D Clone is some of the best-yielding,finest (strongest) herb I've ever had the pleasure to work with.
Even if it does have some obscure viri,it's really of No Consequence.
This is an attempt to "scare" people away from Chemdog-related hybrids and the like,and it's simply sad,and really,if you think about it,fucking pathetic.
That being said,

Carry On.

I THINK ITS SAD THAT YOU THINK THIS GRAND WORLD REVOLVES AROUND YOU AND YOUR LIL SEEDIES.... OR DO I HAVE ENOUGH POSTS TO SAY THAT??

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Grat3fulh3ad said:
So now every variegation is assumed to be TMV?
Don't think so... too many other potential causes to jump to conclusions or make assumptions...

Then what is your diagnosis?

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Depends on the plant... I'm not saying that none of these variegated plants are due to TMV, I'm saying that every instance is variegation is not due to TMV... there are plenty of causes of variegation other than pathogen...

How can you possibly diagnose every singly instance of variegation to the same cause, when there are other known causes... I'm not making a diagnoses, but if it is TMV infecting the CDD cut I have then making TMV go away is easy and it is no big deal.

stinkyattic

her dankness
Veteran
The most recently-posted variegated individuals simply look like healthy plants showing various levels of albinism. I will try to get a picture of the variegated but quite healthy shoot of my partially albino Chem D up soon. The mutation showed up in a clone from a friend, that had been taken off a flowering female, and I made the albino node dominant just for fun... The growth is normal and leaf shape is normal, but beautifully mottled with white.

Limeygreen

Veteran
I believe with TMV you get smaller, curled leaves with a mosaic pattern, hence the name mosaic. I also have read on Hemp Pest and Dieseases that there are no symptoms arrising from TMV rather yield loss and loss of vigor which I believe would be hard to diagnose without tissue samples. There are little home test kits that can test for mosaics and canker etc. I don't know where you get them but they are extremly easy to use.

Edit:
I didn't know the three stages fully it appears, humble pie is bitterly delicious.

Last edited:

Limeygreen

Veteran
The Main viruses according to the Hemp Dieseases and Pests are:

"HSV (Hemp Streak Virus), Alfalfa Mosaic Virus (AMV), Cucumber Mosaic Virus (CMV, nasty bastard), Arabis Mosaic Virus (ArMV), and Hemp Mosaic Virus (HMV)."

"Back inoculations to indicator plants proved TMV and foxtail mosaic (FMV) cause symptomless infections in Cannabis." {Clarke, R. et al. Hemp Dieseases and Pests. 2000, CABI Publishing.}

Sorry for the shitty referencing. Aside from this I know that you can take a healthy plants scratch the dermal layer and rub infected plant tissue on the scratch till it breaks the infected tissue and combines the sap or other plant matter. Mosaic spreads easily especially TMV or ToMV and this should ensure an inoculation. Or if you don't want to do that grow an indicator plant such as a solonacious crop outside o fthe grow room say outside in summer and inouculate then. If it was TMV or ToMV you're pretty much stuck with it for multiple years although with plastic changes etc you could reduce a lot of infection possibilities. The chances of contracting CMV is more likley since the research done shows that CMV will infect cannabis with symptoms and if I'm not mistaken CMV is a ToMV variant although I could be mistaken and it may only be the Green Mottle cucumber mosaic virus that is ToMV. Either way can someone back up a TMV or ToMV infection and symptoms that rule out any other virus that is causing the infections? For all I know it could have TMV for sure, but is there something else causing the symptoms? To me this is the most logical although I'm not an expert or scienctist by any means. I'm just an asshole who wants hard facts especially when I see conflicting views.

moonunit

I have to agree with the above post, i just dont think its tmv. It could be any number of viruses. The weird part about it is these symptoms started appeared worldwide around the same time. Could a lab based virus created for verigation in the nursery world have gotten into our world, why are we just seeing these symptoms all over the place now, not just in the chem lines, the oldest lines i have heard of it being in is djs blueberry and hybrids. Could it be a government conspiracy, dea maybe decided to get germ warfare going on because they feel they are losing the fight and this is the test virus to map the spread and timeline of infection ( i know that ones way out there but hey, one never knows). I have seen what i believed to be a tmv infection in a garden, but now am not sure on what virus it was, all i know is it was savage and brutal infection , i would have taken pics but i couldnt get out of there fast enough and into a shower, had to bag up and throw out a nice set o clothes too.
Also i have seen fungal infections cause massive leaf twist and deformaties in chillies that sometimes look similar to these symptoms in cannabis.
IF U TRUELY WANT TO TEST YOUR PLANTS , AS STATED IN THE ABOVE POST, GET SOME NON INFECTED PLANTS AND MIX THE SAP , IF IT SPREADS, I DARE SAY U HAVE A VIRUS OF SOME SORT, IF NOT, GENERALY U DONT HAVE A VIRUS. Make sure to use a good spread of plants in your tests as some plants may be especialy resistant to viral attacks. sap to sap contact should spread most viruses.
Anyways just my 2 cents on what appears to be a big mystery building in the canna world
much respect
Moonunit

P

Paco

This is for all of you hardcore gardeners.
If you havent heard of Jerry Baker, aka Americas master gardener. You are not a real gardener. This guy has a show on PBS and makes innoculants for soils and mplants with things like beer and dish liquid. anyway his results speak for themselves in many veggie gardens including mine.
I did some research and I quess jerry Baker has a "cure"for Mosaic virus.
"mosaic virus is one bad boy in the garden. the good news is that scientists have discovered that green pepper plant juciescan get your bloomers out of sick bay, pronto! just give 'em a shot of this special Flower and foliage flu shot:
2 cups of leaves from a healthy green pepper plant
1/2 tsp. of liquid dish soap
2 cups of water

Put the leaves and water in a blender and liquefy the mix. Dilute the mixture with and equal amount of water, add the dish soap, and pour solution into a handheld spray bottle. then drench your plants from top to bottom and you're good to go."

He does not give more detail. so I assure this is all you do. His spider mite recipe works really well.

shopvac

picture.php

What about this? Pic taken from The White. Keeps growing these leaves, and just now starting to show signs of normal leaf formation. Cant say I know what it is or believe its tmv but seems kinda mosaic?

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I believe with TMV you get smaller, curled leaves with a mosaic pattern, hence the name mosaic. I also have read on Hemp Pest and Dieseases that there are no symptoms arrising from TMV rather yield loss and loss of vigor which I believe would be hard to diagnose without tissue samples. There are little home test kits that can test for mosaics and canker etc. I don't know where you get them but they are extremly easy to use.

Edit:
I didn't know the three stages fully it appears, humble pie is bitterly delicious.

Great info about the home test kits Limeygreen, this thread may be one of the best to help people diagnose cannabis viruses that I've ever seen... The virus on my plant will spread to other plants grown from seed, maybe not the first time through but all of the cuttings had the symptoms... the virus will definitely cause deformities and if it gets into the growing tip the growth becomes so deformed and slow the side shoots will become the main shoot... sativa leaning strains are more prone to fern like deformities while the kushes seem to be somewhat resistant to the virus but some leaves will show it...

If anyone knows where to get these little home test kits for viruses that would be very helpful...:joint:

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's some virus shots from a plant that has had it for many years. The cuttings are affected when they are rooting and they slow down growing. Then as they grow faster they don't show as many signs...

Kinderfeld

Just to let you all know.
I have grown:
Chem d bx1
straw d x chem d bx1
star dawg
tres dawg
chem d x afghani

ALL (all as in one or more from each batch not every plant) of these showed the twisting yellowing. Call it what you will...but it sure as hell isn't a coincidence.

ventura, those pics are exactly what I am talking about.

GreenFunGeye

i've been wonderin whats been happening with dsd's. same thing as most of the pics posted here. it does seem to spread. Any possibility of it being a fungal infection?

robob02

Here's some virus shots from a plant that has had it for many years. The cuttings are affected when they are rooting and they slow down growing. Then as they grow faster they don't show as many signs...

I see this on my plants. It's been around for about five years, so I thought I'd get some seed and try that. I'm concerned about this getting into the seedlings. Is this what you've seen with your seeds? Is there any way to get rid of it?

Thanks

KUSHEATER1

the large amount of literature about TMV and its choice for many pioneering investigations in structural biology (including X-ray diffraction), virus assembly and disassembly, and so on, are fundamentally due to the large quantities that can be obtained, plus the fact that it does not infect animals. After growing a few infected tobacco plants in a greenhouse and a few simple laboratory procedures, a scientist can easily produce several grams of virus. As a result of this, TMV can be treated almost as an organic chemical, rather than an infective agent.I hate this but what can we do just keep rooms clean and pest free. (healthy)...