What's new

The tattoo process

fr33th3w33d

so im lookin to get a tattoo done sometime soon. i'm thinking about getting a phoenix half sleeve on my right arm, but thing is, my artistic ability leaves something to be desired (artistic ability)... so sadly all i can provide is a rough sketch of what i want done. this is my first tattoo so i am not familiar with the process.. this is not meant to be done as a walk in, i want some detail, color, the works if yaknowwhatimsayin? will the tattoo artist work with me to design something good or is it up to me to come in with what i want ready? i remember having more questions, but i can't remember what they are for some reason.. so i guess for now thats all..

peace and much thanks in advance.

D

daisy jane

A good tattoo artist will help you design your tattoo. When I met the guy who was going to do my tattoo, I just had a picture of what I wanted. He took that original idea and added some things here and there. It ended up really sweet. He told me that he was very happy that I brought in a picture of what I wanted, since not everyone does that. Good luck!

Endo

IcMag Resident Comic Relief
Veteran
shave your arm b4 you get the tattoo done, it will save you having to do it in the studio.

DJ is right, find an artist that will work with you to design it. and make appointments, it will go smoother that way and save you time sitting around the tattoo parlor.

PEace

Endo

Last edited:
J

Jack Crevalle

First find the artist you like, then bring him a similar design (many pics online and tattoos of phoenix)

Some artists specialize in letters, some specialize in black and grey, some specialize in color etc.. I always find the artist who's work I love.

Remember, every tattoo artist has done a phoenix or a dragon or a sleeve, etc, but only the one's who are good at it will make it look good.

You have the idea, now find an artist who's work you LIKE

FrankRizzo

Listen to me jerky
Another thing, don't skimp when it comes to money. If the artist you like costs more than your budget, save more before you get your work done. This is not something you need to get a "real good deal" on. You get what you pay for when it come to tattoos. Don't forget that you should tip the artist too. If you are going for a half sleeve chances are it won't be done in one sitting. If you tip the guy well the first one sitting chances are he will be more pumped for the next sitting. He/she may and I stress may give you a better deal on the next sitting. Good luck

FRizzo

fr33th3w33d

Jack Crevalle said:
Remember, every tattoo artist has done a phoenix or a dragon or a sleeve, etc, but only the one's who are good at it will make it look good.

i didnt know the phoenix design was that played out..

J

Jack Crevalle

Not played out at all, everything in life is played out if you look at it that way, remember tattoo artists tattoo many many designs daily...

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All I can say is make sure your artist is good. Not a friend, buddy, or fellow gang member, but an honest to god good artist. The only thing worse than having a really bad tattoo, is having to pay for it.

If you don't believe me, look up Big Dogz Ink in MA.

Here are some fine examples of their work. Unfortunately, they took down the truly awful ones, and just left some plain bad ones.

I especially like the "Queen" one myself. From the mis-shapen crown, to the lettering that runs uphill, it's hard to believe he actually got paid for that piece of crap.

fr33th3w33d

the place im lookin at is pretty reputable, i had a friend get a sick tattoo there, plenty of detail and shading.. apparently they are also the first American Red Cross certified parlor in NJ.. which is pretty reassuring..

if the dude can pull this off, he can use my arm as a canvas

Merman

Haps said:
I wonder if they can tattoo hair on a bald spot?
Hehap
:laughing:
Not only that, but you can get eyebrows tattooed on, eyeliner, lipstick, cheek blush and so forth...... I used to work for a plastic surgeon.

Take it as far as you want..... this guy trained with a tattoo artist and now does 'cosmetic tattooing' out of his office. When he did breast reconstruction, he'd even tattoo the areola back on the damaged area to match the other side almost perfectly.

'Cosmetic tattoos' are fairly popular anywhere you find high maintenance chicks..... Los Angeles, Miami, New York, etc..... its big money.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
fr33th3w33d said:
the place im lookin at is pretty reputable, i had a friend get a sick tattoo there, plenty of detail and shading.. apparently they are also the first American Red Cross certified parlor in NJ.. which is pretty reassuring..

if the dude can pull this off, he can use my arm as a canvas

Not my style, but it looks like the quality is there. Bad tats are easy to spot. Good ones take photos very well, really good ones need to be seen in person to be truly appreciated.

fr33th3w33d

yeah, i dont dig skulls and shit either, but the artwork is pretty cool for what it is.. someones happy with them, and thats all that matters i guess.

FRANKENBLUNT420

me blunt is like, wicked yo!! owight
everything everyone has said so far i agree with. as someone who has a couple large tats only thing i can add form personal experience is this: if you have to do more than one session then make sure you get all the sessions done!!

i have a large tat on the forearm, and wa going through a tough time in a stupid marriage. we talked, i moved back down south from up north to "work things out" and missed my last session. the tat is good, but really experienced artists and tattoo enthusiasts can tell that its not done. everyone else jsut goes wow

worst thing that i could have done, cause honestly, other than my kids, SHE was not worth it!! (i.e. - i had the outline which was the first session, second session was the fill in, the last session was to be the touch up session and thats the one i missed, regret it to this day)

Last edited:

Endo

IcMag Resident Comic Relief
Veteran
FRANKENBLUNT420 said:
everything everyone has said so far i agree with. as someone who has a couple large tats only thing i can add form personal experience is this: if you have to do more than one session then make sure you get all the sessions done!!

i have a large tat on the forearm, and wa going through a tough time in a stupid marriage. we talked, i moved back down south from up north to "work things out" and missed my last session. the tat is good, but really experienced artists and tattoo enthusiasts can tell that its not done. everyone else jsut goes wow

worst thing that i could have done, cause honestly, other than my kids, SHE was not worth it!! (i.e. - i had the outline which was the first session, second session was the fill in, the last session was to be the touch up session and thats the one i missed, regret it to this day)

that blows man, any chance of ever finishing it?

J

Jack Crevalle

I especially like the "Queen" one myself. From the mis-shapen crown, to the lettering that runs uphill, it's hard to believe he actually got paid for that piece of crap.

I thought it said Queer, LOL

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
Yeah, like Frank said, make sure that you have the money and time to get it done in a series of sittings, spaced out enough to allow enough healing. A half sleeve is not gonna be done in one go.
I`ve had a total of 3 different artists work on my right sleeve and it`s still not complete (to me, anyway). :bashhead: :cuss:
Due to some things that were my fault, and some things that couldn`t be helped, there were gaps between these sittings, and it looked a bit weird to have sections of newer ink and old ink on the same tattoo. It looks uniform now that its aged a bit.

A freelance (non-tattoo) artist can whip up a drawing for a small fee, I`m sure, then u can just take it to the tattooist and say "This is what I want."
(Oh yeah, if you do this, make sure the artist isn`t going to use your original design afterwards and put it on the wall as flash. Happened to a friend of mine.) :spank:

Oh yeah, its been said before but get an experienced, decent tattoo artist. If you`re not sure, walk away. I have a fair bit of ink, I don`t regret the tattoos, but if I could do them again, I might have chosen a better artist for one or two of them. Too late now. :joint:

ps: www.badtattoos.com

:muahaha:

Last edited:

Linenoise

Just thought I should warn the OP about the danger of getting a tattoo. After you get your first tattoo you usually want another one..then another..and another. The only thing that slows you don is $$$$. Like others have said don't try to skimp out on the cost. The good artists tend to know they are good and sometimes expect to be paid accordingly.